Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I think the owners of the site first need to clearly convey to the current membership, what type of content they are looking for to attract new members. If it is clearly painting related, then they absolutely need a forum where a core group of members can contribute anything they are interested in, provided it doesn't conflict with any of PT's conduct policies. Mainly, discrimination.

This is where religion can be an issue since it is granted the same protections under US civil rights laws. Political discrimination not so much as I understand it.

And we certainly don't want the Atheists monopolizing the Religious forum, do we? *wink*

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ive been staying on top of this thread but haven't posted because I haven't been here as long as you guys and I should probably stay out of it. Just want to say that I enjoy both sides of it. You know one thread may be about the amount of drag engineered into paint and the next one may be about gravy or scotch. Maybe a thread about how to drink scotch and still keep a straight cut in line that'd be a good one. I would think opening up the PZ and religion and all that would send more people out the door than anything.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
The PZ? The PRESENT PZ ?

Absolutely NOT. The idea was NOT to have a free for all.

It does sound like the PRZ is being groomed for that, but I could have read Wolf's intent wrong.
No, you didn't read my intent wrong. Times change, members change. People want a place where they can speak their mind on non-business related matters.

If the members want cake, lets provide them with the ingredients. What they end up with is up to them. Keep it as non-moderated as possible, as they feel there is too much moderation. Keep it a censor-free as possible, as they feel there is too much censorship. Some just want to whine on and on, now they have a place to whine where they aren't told to grow a pair or leave. No sarcasm in any of that.

Then we can keep all this complaining crap out of the general forum.

As far as what to do with attracting new members on the general forum? I'll let the Admins deal with that.

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
The culture has spoken, you have to follow what works...
It's all in how you title the thread, I'll give you some examples:

This thread gets funnier each time I read it
It was a normal workday until...
The customer's son was just 4 years old but what he said was amazing
How does this happen??!?!
I can't stop laughing... read why
I feel awkward even posting this:
This is what happens when you trust your gut
Seven things in your toolbox that can kill you
Only one thing missing from the perfect job

People know they will be disappointed but somehow it doesn't matter.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
No, you didn't read my intent wrong. Times change, members change. People want a place where they can speak their mind on non-business related matters.

If the members want cake, lets provide them with the ingredients. What they end up with is up to them. Keep it as non-moderated as possible, as they feel there is too much moderation. Keep it a censor-free as possible, as they feel there is too much censorship. Some just want to whine on and on, now they have a place to whine where they aren't told to grow a pair or leave. No sarcasm in any of that.

Then we can keep all this complaining crap out of the general forum.

As far as what to do with attracting new members on the general forum? I'll let the Admins deal with that.
I am glad about one thing, I am not part of the decision making process anymore. Therefore all I will say is, I think I understand the thinking behind this, I DO hope it has the results you think it will. And, BTW, I think there are lines to read between.

Reactions: DrakeB

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Ive been staying on top of this thread but haven't posted because I haven't been here as long as you guys and I should probably stay out of it. Just want to say that I enjoy both sides of it. You know one thread may be about the amount of drag engineered into paint and the next one may be about gravy or scotch. Maybe a thread about how to drink scotch and still keep a straight cut in line that'd be a good one. I would think opening up the PZ and religion and all that would send more people out the door than anything.
Just my 2 cents.

IMO, you have a good grasp on the essence that makes this place great. :thumbsup:

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I am glad about one thing, I am not part of the decision making process anymore. Therefore all I will say is, I think I understand the thinking behind this, I DO hope it has the results you think it will. And, BTW, I think there are lines to read between.
I really have no idea about reading between lines Bill. I have no expectations of results good or bad.

Get out of the defensive mode. Believe it or not, I had to also. There's a possibility that this won't even fly. If it doesn't, so be it. If it does, so be it. I don't particularly enjoy censoring posts, nor do I enjoy banning anyone unless it is absolutely necessary.

But times, circumstances, membership all change. Obviously this isn't the PT of old. Will it ever rise to that again? I seriously have my doubts. The membership chemistry is totally different.

And, I wasn't avoiding the issue of having ideas of improving the general forum. As stated by many others, many threads are rehashes of many others. We're talking paint here. Advance is a name on a can.

So maybe it's time for some of us stubborn, cynical, old timers to stand back and see what the others bring to the table. I really don't care to be an old man trying to maintain a firm and steadfast grip on what PT used to be. Do you? Yeah, it was our comfort factor. Let them have theirs.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I really have no idea about reading between lines Bill. I have no expectations of results good or bad.

Get out of the defensive mode. Believe it or not, I had to also. There's a possibility that this won't even fly. If it doesn't, so be it. If it does, so be it. I don't particularly enjoy censoring posts, nor do I enjoy banning anyone unless it is absolutely necessary.

But times, circumstances, membership all change. Obviously this isn't the PT of old. Will it ever rise to that again? I seriously have my doubts. The membership chemistry is totally different.

And, I wasn't avoiding the issue of having ideas of improving the general forum. As stated by many others, many threads are rehashes of many others. We're talking paint here. Advance is a name on a can.

So maybe it's time for some of us stubborn, cynical, old timers to stand back and see what the others bring to the table. I really don't care to be an old man trying to maintain a firm and steadfast grip on what PT used to be. Do you? Yeah, it was our comfort factor. Let them have theirs.

Can't cop to being defensive, just trying to think through this idea and project the results. It's not my idea to be defensive about.

I will cop to the notion that age has brought some knowledge of human nature. Although this internet thing is new, "discussions" about Politics and Religion are as old as mankind. We think politics is full of animosity now, but all those who have read about politics during the first handful of administrations know, it was actually just as bad then. So yah, call me an old man that wishes to retain the atmosphere of respect and civility that we have obtained, it's working.

Also, if this by chance does fly, a question about what you have labeled as "whining" . Are you referencing the discussions about interactions here on PT? Actually, those who have valid concerns and questions may not agree with the dismissive term of "whining" . Good, intelligent, well meaning contributors still have questions and concerns which they would like to air in a respectful manner. They would really appreciate the ears of owners, admins, and mods. When these discussions are termed "whining" it sure sounds like there will be an empty soundproof room available for them to speak. Not sure that will be productive.

An off-the-air private section, IMO, is a great idea where serious feedback can be presented and responded to. Not sure grouping it with Politics and Religion and classifying it as "whining" would fill the apparent need.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Here is how I see it....

-Same 10 or so guys are always on here since I joined this forum. So there is no different thought approach.

-A FB paint group page has taken 90% of all the people that were on here.

-The Fb forum does so much better because the people are real and identifiable. That weeds out so much of the b.s. that I've seen on paint talk through the years. All the fake profiles that attack other posts, credibility, & get banned only to create another profile and do the same thing.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
just need a little drama to bring it back to life, drama sells.

No seriously with facebook having groups now that's where everyone is going to make post , I much prefer a forum but face book is where the people are.

Is the Wolfman on facebook??

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Here is how I see it....

-Same 10 or so guys are always on here since I joined this forum. So there is no different thought approach.

-A FB paint group page has taken 90% of all the people that were on here.

-The Fb forum does so much better because the people are real and identifiable. That weeds out so much of the b.s. that I've seen on paint talk through the years. All the fake profiles that attack other posts, credibility, & get banned only to create another profile and do the same thing.
Nailed it IMHO. Quite a number of the people here have migrated over to that FB page for various reasons. Heck, FB in general is poaching participants from the traditional online forums. People are less likely to troll when when there real names are known.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
No, I don't do much in the way of FB social media. Don't even have account.

Are we talking the PT FB page or something else? If it's something else, I'd be interested in looking at it. Name or link would help.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
The reason I don't do much in the way of what I call social media, other than here and visiting a few other sites, is that it's too damn easy to spend my retirement staring at a screen. As of late, I've been spending more than I want here.

Just finished building a 24 x 27 garage to replace the one that burned down. Bought a 1923 TBucket that mechanically is basically new and the body looked good at about 30 feet. Redoing and modifying the entire car as basically a Veteran / Armed Services themed tribute T. Probably my last major build as physical disabilities worsen and take their toll. I'd like to have it done before Memorial Day.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I can see how FB would be popular with the Millennials.
Has PT performed a survey to see who their target demographic is in terms of age?

·
Super Moderator
6,801 Posts
No, I don't do much in the way of FB social media. Don't even have account.

Are we talking the PT FB page or something else? If it's something else, I'd be interested in looking at it. Name or link would help.
Mike Pope aka woodland started a painting FB group that has taken off with over 1,000 members. You have to have a FB account and I think you have to request membership its not open to the public.

81 - 100 of 202 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.