Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.”

This last week, I decided it was time for me to get away from it all and just spend some time in nature without all the fancy technology.

As I neared the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon, I noticed the Google Maps Street View Car and totally cracked up laughing. Technology followed me into the canyon even if I had no desire to see it. Ya know what? I didn't have to actually look at it, unless I chose to do so, but I took a picture anyway.

google-car.jpg

A few days later, in Caprock Canyons I was actually ecstatic to find that I had absolutely no cell phone coverage, let alone WIFI. The plan was to spend a few days doing some serious hiking. As it turned out, Mother Nature had other plans. Instead, I experienced a totally kick ass storm from inside a tent with 50 mph winds.

When the State Police walked into my campsite at 10 or 11 pm to explain evacuation plans if needed (the storm chasers were in the area for a few tornadoes) I decided I was okay, right where I was rather than heading back up the canyon.

I still got some hiking in, just not where I planned.

Life happens...

In the end, the I was actually kind of glad things derailed a bit because I experienced new things.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
My PT main page only gives me the tab option for New Posts rather than Today's Posts.
Do you have a Quick Links tab? It's drop down menu option number one on that tab.

Cricket's description above of the differences is correct. Just checked it out.

She failed to address my request for RH's punishment tho.:mellow:

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I must admit, I would rather view the new posts than to search through the forums for something specific. Because frankly, I would hope that the last thing I'm interested in doing during my precious free time, is to search for favorite brush threads, or the molecular dynamics of evaporating paint. However, I can easily be lured into a conversion coating conversation. Just don't expect me to be too serious if I'm enjoying a bourbon. :)

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Do you have a Quick Links tab? It's drop down menu option number one on that tab.

I do have Quick Links, and I just noticed Today's Posts in the drop down. Thanks! Although I'll likely continue using New Posts exclusively.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
I do have Quick Links, and I just noticed Today's Posts in the drop down. Thanks! Although I'll likely continue using New Posts exclusively.
Knowing what I now know about the new posts button, I'd probably continue using the Today's post button. Basically for the reason you were talking about a few weeks ago where sometimes you just want to look back over posts you've read/participated in previously again. Sometimes just even to reread what you wrote to see if it still sounds smart or stupid. Then you realize you're beyond the edit timeline and there's no going back.:(

Although, new posts would probably reduce the amount of time one spend farting around on here. "Nothing new to see here folks, move on."

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I agree completely with your assessment of a community. But it seems to me, that the more vocal critics of PT would rather participate in a serious site that's exclusive to like minded professionals who completely agree with one another. As exemplified by Woodland's popular FB page. Personally, I have no interest in participating in a site like that.

But I do see the need to keep the whining and silly social banter out of the professional PT forums in an effort to attract new members, if that's in fact what's attracting new members.
The paint talk brought me here, the banter has helped to keep me here....Even though my participation has dropped a bit

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts

That's cause she always liked me best. :tt2:

Reactions: Wildbill7145

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Both "New" and "Today's" have their bennie's. And as described, "New" displays new posts TO YOU and "Today's" show TODAY'S post (usually not yesterday's post whether new to you or not).

SO, if you've been away from PT for a more than a day, "Today's" may not show you all that you missed. So you should use "New"

On the other hand, if you run through the posts in the morning but do not reply to anything and return later with some thoughts formulated, "New" may not show that thread because it's no longer "new" to you and no one has posted anything since you last checked in. So you should use "Today's"

I hope that helps explain how the differences can affect what you see. Tools are helpful only if you understand how to use them :thumbup:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Bring Scotiadawg back outta the woods , add that Philly guy again....and start including Canadians in the giveaway deals . I was wondering where Woodland went...now I know .

Facebook has hurt this place...that is a given . I myself have two Groups I Adm . One is a HockeyTrashtalk site....and my other is a local real estate one . Plus I spend a lot of time on some local buy/sell groups and other hockey groups available through FB . Just my thoughts on things .

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
Bring Scotiadawg back outta the woods , add that Philly guy again....and start including Canadians in the giveaway deals . I was wondering where Woodland went...now I know .

Facebook has hurt this place...that is a given . I myself have two Groups I Adm . One is a HockeyTrashtalk site....and my other is a local real estate one . Plus I spend a lot of time on some local buy/sell groups and other hockey groups available through FB . Just my thoughts on things .
I thought Scotiadawg went off-grid. I don't see why they don't include you guys in the give aways....I thought VerticalScope was based in Canada. And the philly guy will never be back.
Yeah, scotiadawg went out to a cabin in the woods to live - he was never banned. Regardless, anyone that has been perma-banned is gone - and for good reason. So don't even go there.

I agree that everyone should be included in the giveaways or contests unless for some bizarre technical reason it just isn't doable.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Yeah, scotiadawg went out to a cabin in the woods to live - he was never banned. Regardless, anyone that has been perma-banned is gone - and for good reason. So don't even go there.

I agree that everyone should be included in the giveaways or contests unless for some bizarre technical reason it just isn't doable.
As with any rules, there are exceptions.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Things have changed. Let's leave it at that.

I know things WILL be different. I was picking nits with the orig statement. :thumbsup:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
To get back to the OP, perhaps the real answer to breathe some life back into this forum is for people to start threads that will induce interest.

In one week's time, look at the interest showed to this one :thumbsup:

I guess this place IS what WE make it :thumbup: :thumbup:

161 - 180 of 202 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.