Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchases a used Graco sprayer and I've read it is common to use Anti-Freeze when storing the sprayer - or some type of pump protective like Graco sells.

Is there something that is equally effective but not as nasty as Anti-Freeze?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ive never heard of running antifreeze in an airless. I run mineral spirits in mine at the end of the day for quite a while. Been getting tired of buying so much mineral spirits though. I started running the pump armor stuff through them the last couple of days but just don't trust it as much as the spirits. I'm anxious to here what others leave in their pumps. I talked to a guy a while back said he ran kerosene in his.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Could use a form of some alcohol. Wont freeze and better then anti. If its cold I just drain my hose all the way. Maybe put a cover over your pump. Stored my pump in cold mn garage no problems yet. Been 2 seasons with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anti freeze is a good thing to use but buy biodegradable rv antifreeze. We use that or as mentioned mineral spirits but remeber mineral spirits will gum up latex so make sure lines are throughly flushed first. Antifreeze does all the things pump armor does but cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I maintain alot of pumps at my 7-330 job outside of side painting. Mineral spirits will make the pump last longer if you're storing it, alcohol or other thinners would evaporate and dry out the packing, which could cause them to crack or rip when you start it up after a long time. List gotta make sure the latex is all flushed out like mentioned above. The key is the oil layer on everything. If you had to you can also use a light oil. If you want a more friendly idea, could try out a cooking oil in water, so it would leave a film. Just make sure flush the equipment with the appropriate fluid before spraying to get any residue out.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,170 Posts
I maintain alot of pumps at my 7-330 job outside of side painting. Mineral spirits will make the pump last longer if you're storing it, alcohol or other thinners would evaporate and dry out the packing, which could cause them to crack or rip when you start it up after a long time. List gotta make sure the latex is all flushed out like mentioned above. The key is the oil layer on everything. If you had to you can also use a light oil. If you want a more friendly idea, could try out a cooking oil in water, so it would leave a film. Just make sure flush the equipment with the appropriate fluid before spraying to get any residue out.
You do realize this thread is 5 yrs. old? But since you fired it up again, I have never left anything in my lines but water. Had my graco for 10 yrs with no issues. Just saying. They have stainless steel parts and are an airless design hence minimal rusting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to keep the thread going... I tried to resurect my Magnum LTS 17 today and it was stored for 5 or 6 years with just a water rinse through. I had to unclog the reversable nozzle after the pump started pushing through water (I think a piece of dried paint clogged it) but it seems to be working fine now. While I do have the Pump Amor bottle, it is really expensive here in Aussie, and will try Mineral Turps (I think you refer to it as Mineral Spirits) next time. Also getting the pump working without the nozzle first might be a better plan.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,170 Posts
Just to keep the thread going... I tried to resurect my Magnum LTS 17 today and it was stored for 5 or 6 years with just a water rinse through. I had to unclog the reversable nozzle after the pump started pushing through water (I think a piece of dried paint clogged it) but it seems to be working fine now. While I do have the Pump Amor bottle, it is really expensive here in Aussie, and will try Mineral Turps (I think you refer to it as Mineral Spirits) next time. Also getting the pump working without the nozzle first might be a better plan.
If your using your pump for mostly latex, I certainly would NOT be storing with Thinners., unless for long term storage.. If it's a dedicated oil rig then that's different. Just too messy of a switch over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts