Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum, and am looking forward to both using it in the future (to glean wisdom from others) and to impart wisdom on area's that I have experience in.

Background and setting: I started painting at age 15 (I'm 33 now), for my father who at the time owned a painting company. I coopted through high school working for his company doing 10 houses (roughly) a month, working 60-70 hour weeks. They were cheaper NC (bare drywall), and in those days we double flatted walls and ceilings. Which incidentally, to this very day, have never had a call back or problem with them. At that time, the paint store that we used was Pittsburg Paints. From there we moved to 'Color Your World' and then followed sales reps over to Dulux. In this time I period I learned a lot; I was taught how to cut in with 3" Purdy's always without tape (with the exception of corner beads on bulkheads etc.) if I hit it I fixed it-junctions in walls, trim, ceilings etc. How different paints work also, but by application and experience, never really learning about chemical makeups and things of that nature. I started my own company, and it is doing alright. At the moment, my market is higher end homes and re-paints.

As noted above, I deal with Dulux- this is where the sales reps are that I have dealt with for years. I use their diamond line- matte for the walls (ceramic microsphere technology for scrub ability) semi-gloss for the trim. Glidden Ultra hide 7700 flat for ceilings (dead flat). But it's really all I have ever known, or used- except by rare occasion that the customer supplies. Recently, there have been a few different things that forced me to try Sherwin Williams- they make an exterior paint that can be darker than the vinyl without warping (dulux does not) and the smooth finish of their opulence matte in comparison to diamond. I'm not so familiar with any of their products so I look forward to checking out experienced painters that have used them for years.

Glad to be here,

Chris.

·
Administrator
19,770 Posts
Welcome to the group Chris. Good intro.

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.
I am from Ontario too.
I use Sherwin Williams as often as I can, they have never let me down.
I have a good relationship with the SW Rep and she always advises me wherever possible.
She also goes to the customers if required to present the various options to them free of charge.
SW also give me up to 40% discount which I can pass on to the customer as a deal maker.
I am sure other top name brands offer the same service, but for the reasons stated I am happy with the quality and service SW give me, (If it's not broken, don't fix it)
Darren.
www.decornations.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts