Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Restored this Drab Hallway by Changing The Paint Colors And lots of Prep...
Grained The Doors, Frames, Baseboards , Picture Moulding... This was a Two Step Process Using Acrylic and Oils To Complete The Gumwood Graining.

Michael Tust

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Looks great! Big improvement! We dont see much gum being used around SC. The houses I have seen it used in are over 100 years old. i did see an office completely panelled in gum. it had the graining but it had a green hue similar to poplar. Could you elaborate on your process a little?...thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
L ooks great! Big improvement! We dont see much gum being used around SC. The houses I have seen it used in are over 100 years old. i did see an office completely panelled in gum. it had the graining but it had a green hue similar to poplar. Could you elaborate on your process a little?...thanks for the pictures!
Thank You,

This house is about 90 years old. I used a fast drying Acrylic for the first Layer to create a background of lights and darks... and color variations. When that dries I use an Oil Glaze and accentuate The First Layer. Which is a sketch of the design.
I like a Turpentine Glaze. I was going to post more pictures yesterday but got locked out as I’m not very good on the computer.

Michael Tust

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple of Doors I Grained and leaned them next to The Dining Room , Woodwork Real Gumwood.

Attachments

·
Painting Services
5 Posts
OMG very nice finish I am glad that I am here to see such techniques we don't use in Dubai for door polish and painting thanks for sharing well-done keep sharing more and more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
amazing change.
For the doors, to create a more realistic wood door, graining the horizontal top & bottom sections with a horizontal glaze vs. vertical, would be a nice touch as well..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
amazing change.
For the doors, to create a more realistic wood door, graining the horizontal top & bottom sections with a horizontal glaze vs. vertical, would be a nice touch as well..
Thank You!
Yes most doors have a Horizontal Rail... For this Graining Project I was asked to Copy the Real Gumwood Doors which unusually have a Vertical Grain VS the common Horizontal Grain. If you look at the door photo that has a Hammer at the bottom on the floor...... that is a real Gumwood Door that has the Vertical Rail Grain. These are Throughout the Home. I’ve seen very few of this configuration.

Michael Tust

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very good idea. It looks new and much more eye-catching. I think I really like this style of fixing and decorating. One like for it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts