Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting in a bid for a job that has a dormer and copula that have never been painted that is on a pretty steep roof. Plan on using Pivit Roof Boot and use ladders to paint the sides of the dormer. I have not decided what to do about the copula yet. I would like to invest in a harness for extra security in case I slip, plus I think it will make me feel a lot safer. Do these things need special training?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I would say yes if you have never worn one or used safety ropes before. I imagine there are online training videos that could show you the basics of how to put one on and adjust it correctly. Show you the basics about knots and carabiners and such.

I used to rock climb and took some classes in that that transferred well to safety rope setting. Seems like it would be good to at least know the basics before trying to set something up.

Are you thinking to tie off to the dormer itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say yes if you have never worn one or used safety ropes before. I imagine there are online training videos that could show you the basics of how to put one on and adjust it correctly. Show you the basics about knots and carabiners and such.

I used to rock climb and took some classes in that that transferred well to safety rope setting. Seems like it would be good to at least know the basics before trying to set something up.

Are you thinking to tie off to the dormer itself?

I was thinking of tying off on the copula.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You will need a climbing harness rather than a safety harness for working out of a bucket. Don't let osha see you using one as they don't accept them but they are far safer. These harness's tie in at the front rather than the back so if you fall you can turn yourself around and right yourself easier.A basic harness will set you back around 60 70 dollars.You will need some ascenders, a lot more money, to work up and down the rope. Carabiners and slings required. If you can tie off the other side of the building and work your way up the rope with safety till you reach the cupola. If you do it right you won't need to tie off onto the cupola. Do not use cheap rope.Wear knee pads. I have been climbing since I was 17 and am now 66, you can do the math and have done this many, many, many times. I suggest if you have any second thoughts doing this you pass on this one. It may look simple, and kind of is but very serious. Pm me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will need a climbing harness rather than a safety harness for working out of a bucket. Don't let osha see you using one as they don't accept them but they are far safer. These harness's tie in at the front rather than the back so if you fall you can turn yourself around and right yourself easier.A basic harness will set you back around 60 70 dollars.You will need some ascenders, a lot more money, to work up and down the rope. Carabiners and slings required. If you can tie off the other side of the building and work your way up the rope with safety till you reach the cupola. If you do it right you won't need to tie off onto the cupola. Do not use cheap rope.Wear knee pads. I have been climbing since I was 17 and am now 66, you can do the math and have done this many, many, many times. I suggest if you have any second thoughts doing this you pass on this one. It may look simple, and kind of is but very serious. Pm me if you have any questions.
Thanks. But, I will not be working out of a bucket. The dormer is easy to get to, but I just want to feel a bit safer when working on the sides of the dormer.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Id seriously consider a lift for the day.heck, you can rent one for a couple hundred bucks a day (or less) depending on the lift. If you can get one in there, you can probably make good use of it elsewhere saving lots of time and removing some risk.that makes you more $$ on the back end. If ya can't then yes, invest in a good climbing or otherwise tied off harness system....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What I am talking about is for the dormers and cupola and not out of a bucket. The harness and other gear is for being on the roof. It is still a pain in the ass to get roof jacks and planks and ladders and any other kind of stuff up there and set it up. Key sentence, " In case I slip." What is the sphincter factor going to be up there? Do it in the morning before the roof gets too hot.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm sure the pivot roof boot would work fine but I Think some ladder hooks going over the ridge would be easier. Are you painting just the wood or the plastic looking thing at the top as well that the wind direction is on?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure the pivot roof boot would work fine but I Think some ladder hooks going over the ridge would be easier. Are you painting just the wood or the plastic looking thing at the top as well that the wind direction is on?
I am only painting the lower half of the cupola.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And another thing I am all for a harness but if you do not have them yet cougar paws roofing boots are a must. I would not trust them alone especially not on this roof but I can tell you they grip like none other.
Thanks. I think that I might get some of these even if I do not get the job.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason that I do not want to use a ladder hook is that I would have to use a longer and heavier ladder, which would be much harder to lug up there. I can use a really light weight ladder with the roof boot.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
I suggest going with the standard five point Safety Harness and shock absorbing lanyard. For the application you have, you'll need a length of life line that you could drape over the roof and attach to a sound anchor. Use a "rope grab" to move up or down the life line. I'd be more concerned about securing your paint bucket. Maybe attach it to your body with a hook, or create a small level platform.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I am putting in a bid for a job that has a dormer and copula that have never been painted that is on a pretty steep roof. Plan on using Pivit Roof Boot and use ladders to paint the sides of the dormer. I have not decided what to do about the copula yet. I would like to invest in a harness for extra security in case I slip, plus I think it will make me feel a lot safer. Do these things need special training?

I hated them then and hate them now. Every time I see one now, I think to myself I'm glad I won't be the one to have to get up there.

Kinda funny that as you age, ranch style exteriors look better and better.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Pete, you need to use a osha certified d-ring and 4" screws specifically made to withstand the 5000 lb shock force that is possible with a fall. The structure or object that the d-ring is attached to has to be able to take a 5000 lb force, or equivalent of hanging a truck from it.

You need to have 2 people on site, per osha regs and in reality, if you fall and are hanging by a rope who's going to call the fire department, who's going to get you down to take you to the hospital? Fall protection training will teach you that if you fall off a roof while you're harnessed up you will have to go to the hospital most likely.

If you are wearing a five point fall protection harness standard in the trades, and you take a fall off a roof you have less than 10 minutes to get down before major damage to your body or death can happen. A couple minutes could mean pernanante disability or amputation of a limb even.

You will not be able to get rescued by somebody and a ladder. it takes a team of people like the fire department to get you down. Technically by OSHA standards you're not allowed to bear your weight on the rope that you're tied off to as well, although it seems practical.

Learn the difference between fall arrest and fall restraint. When tied off in Fall restraint your d-ring only has to hold a 2500 lb minimum.

Like others mentioned sometimes a climbing harness seems better, and definitely is useful while working.

Fall protection training is important. By L&I regs here in WA you have to complete a fall protection plan on paper and have workers understand and sign it ( On every applicable job)

If I were going to be doing roof work I would make certain that my ground guy fully understands the dangers that I explained and knows how to deal with the emergency. if you tell a carpenter inside or a neighbor to keep an eye on you you're asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pete, you need to use a osha certified d-ring and 4" screws specifically made to withstand the 5000 lb shock force that is possible with a fall. The structure or object that the d-ring is attached to has to be able to take a 5000 lb force, or equivalent of hanging a truck from it.

You need to have 2 people on site, per osha regs and in reality, if you fall and are hanging by a rope who's going to call the fire department, who's going to get you down to take you to the hospital? Fall protection training will teach you that if you fall off a roof while you're harnessed up you will have to go to the hospital most likely.

If you are wearing a five point fall protection harness standard in the trades, and you take a fall off a roof you have less than 10 minutes to get down before major damage to your body or death can happen. A couple minutes could mean pernanante disability or amputation of a limb even.

You will not be able to get rescued by somebody and a ladder. it takes a team of people like the fire department to get you down. Technically by OSHA standards you're not allowed to bear your weight on the rope that you're tied off to as well, although it seems practical.

Learn the difference between fall arrest and fall restraint. When tied off in Fall restraint your d-ring only has to hold a 2500 lb minimum.

Like others mentioned sometimes a climbing harness seems better, and definitely is useful while working.

Fall protection training is important. By L&I regs here in WA you have to complete a fall protection plan on paper and have workers understand and sign it ( On every applicable job)

If I were going to be doing roof work I would make certain that my ground guy fully understands the dangers that I explained and knows how to deal with the emergency. if you tell a carpenter inside or a neighbor to keep an eye on you you're asking for trouble.
Thanks for the info, I was not going to be working alone. But, all moot now becasue I did not get the job. Almost kind a happy about it. Along with dealing with the roof, it was was right on the water, which often makes getting a full day of work in difficult.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Holy Crap

Thats a freaking steep roof.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I had a dormer on a real steep roof to do today. Normally I would have run a ladder up the roof, tied it off, and just used the rungs to walk on. The landscaping made that approach impossible so we broke out the ropes and harness. Tied off on the other side.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve done any work like this. My legs feel like jello after spending half a day up there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts