Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am, and is that true, and if so why?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
There are some exceptions, but OSHA only regulates companies with employees. As long as it's just you out there, feel free to stand on the top of your stepladder, lean that baby against a wall, or wear a climbing harness. I've been thinking about some roof hooks for my extension ladders to deal with the steeper ones because I am just too afraid of putting holes in someone's roof with a Pivit boot or roofing toeboards.

·
54pontiac
35 Posts
So I have to paint a dormer on a steep roof with a solar panel right next to it, not enough room to step. Any ideas how to approach this? I can't seem to upload a picture, sorry.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
So I have to paint a dormer on a steep roof with a solar panel right next to it, not enough room to step. Any ideas how to approach this? I can't seem to upload a picture, sorry.
Use a lift if possible? Hard to say with no pic....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
54pontiac
35 Posts
I'm afraid renting a bucket isn't in the budget. I was thinking of putting ladder brackets on the top and bottom of one rank of an extension ladder and hooking it over the top of the solar panel. Then walking on top of the ladder. Apparently I don't have enough posts to submit images.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,236 Posts
I'm afraid renting a bucket isn't in the budget. I was thinking of putting ladder brackets on the top and bottom of one rank of an extension ladder and hooking it over the top of the solar panel. Then walking on top of the ladder. Apparently I don't have enough posts to submit images.
That sounds sketchy.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,236 Posts
I had a dormer on a real steep roof to do today. Normally I would have run a ladder up the roof, tied it off, and just used the rungs to walk on. The landscaping made that approach impossible so we broke out the ropes and harness. Tied off on the other side.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve done any work like this. My legs feel like jello after spending half a day up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Id Say! Why no roof jacks? what are the things your walking on?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Foam.

Foam it is. I’ve only known that trick for about 5 years now. I scrambled around shingled roofs for the better part of my career without ever thinking to use traction pads. Then one day this guy I was working with, who wasn’t a good worker at all and didn’t last long, told me he had seen some roofers using foam pads for traction. I tried it and was blown away.

One of those face palm moments where you can’t believe you are just now figuring something out that could have made life so much easier in the past.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Foam it is. I’ve only known that trick for about 5 years now. I scrambled around shingled roofs for the better part of my career without ever thinking to use traction pads. Then one day this guy I was working with, who wasn’t a good worker at all and didn’t last long, told me he had seen some roofers using foam pads for traction. I tried it and was blown away.

One of those face palm moments where you can’t believe you are just now figuring something out that could have made life so much easier in the past.

Yup.i just got it myself a few years back. Its AWESOME. And it can be used as a drop when you spill the bucket of dark brown paint all over yourself while its attached to your harness while you're pearched on a rope on a roof like the one in your pic. Uhhhhh....my friend told me that.;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don’t use roof jacks unless absolutely necessary. Didn’t seem to be so in this case.
Foam pads are immeasurably helpful on a shingled roof. Wish I would have known that 20 years ago.

Where do you buy foam pads? Are you talking about carpet padding? What thickness?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've never used a safety rope on a roof.

I always wondered where they screw in the safety bracket for the safety rope? Fasten to the dormer? I have no idea if I'm messing up a roof when I screw in 1.5" screws under the roof shingles. I normally use roof jacks in combination with the yellow roof boots for my Pivit tools.

I just leave the screws in place and put caulking on top of the screws so it doesn't cause leaks.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The ones in that pic are a cut up mattress topper. Just a foam mattress from Walmart. I’ve also used old couch cushions with the covers taken off.
I don’t think carpet padding would be strong enough. Seems like it would tear easily

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I've never used a safety rope on a roof.

I always wondered where they screw in the safety bracket for the safety rope? Fasten to the dormer? I have no idea if I'm messing up a roof when I screw in 1.5" screws under the roof shingles. I normally use roof jacks in combination with the yellow roof boots for my Pivit tools.

I just leave the screws in place and put caulking on top of the screws so it doesn't cause leaks.
The safety bracket is called a roof anchor or a d-ring. Some roof anchors are built to stay with the house and are located near the peaks of the roof. These tie offs should be installed two regulations using the correct screws that come with them, which which is like 8 or more 4 inch specialty screws.

you can install a temporary D ring in certain locations of the house as long as it is part of the main structure of the framing that can withstand a 5000 lb shock when tied off in fall arrest mode and 2500 lb when using restraint technique. Restraint technique means you're always taking up the slack so you cannot fall off the roof. Fall-arrest means there is slack in the line but it would catch you if you fell off.

Always use restraint technique...

Your ropes D rings harnesses rope grabs and shock absorbers all need to be correct safety gear, that is up-to-date and in good condition. Safety ropes are 5/8 in diameter with locking hook to attach to the D-ring.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I wouldn't set the ladder up on top of the panels, they will break.

·
Registered
Independent Painting Contractor
2,374 Posts
I hated them then and hate them now. Every time I see one now, I think to myself I'm glad I won't be the one to have to get up there.

Kinda funny that as you age, ranch style exteriors look better and better.
Ain't that the truth!! :D

21 - 39 of 39 Posts