Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone else here has cut the cost of jobs to encourage more sales. Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, I know a lot of workers took a massive hit. I didn't have much work for the last few months. I started offering deals and now I am getting more jobs again. I just hope the whole ordeal is dealt with soon so we can go back to normal.

Anyways else cut prices or offer deals since the virus outbreak?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've gotten a massive uptick since covid started.
I rarely offer deals as I typically work alone, and have daily minimums.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've gotten more calls during covid pandemic than anytime since about 2002.

I don't think it's the time to lower prices. If you watch the news everyday, everyone's bankrupt and on the verge of homelessness...doesn't seem to be the case.

Make hay while the sun shines, as the saying goes. Govt handouts won't last forever.

·
Administrator
19,660 Posts
Around here painters (well, anyone associated with the contracting trades) have been busier than ever. Same with suppliers.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,123 Posts
I've also been busier than usual, but we had a construction rebate thing on the go. It's over now, so phone slowed down a little(thank gawd).
I try not to lower my prices, because it's not the market I'm after. I do not want to be competing against the station wagon painter. It also starts a price war in your town. i'm totally against it. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive I suppose.
On another note, I picked up some N100 filters the othe day for my 3M respiator. $24! wtf. Talk about a price gauge! So typical to take advantage of the people during a pandemic..

·
Super Moderator
6,407 Posts
I raised my prices during the lockdown. lol. Took most of the weekends off this summer for the first time. Not due to lack of work, just got tired of the Groundhog Day effect. Waking up at 5 every morning and going to work. Spent more time with the wife and dogs. It's been a great summer in spite of it being one of the hottest I can remember.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I raised my hourly rates just shy of 24% earlier this spring after being coaxed out of retirement at the onset of the pandemic. I also increased my unit pricing 20% across the board. None of my repeat clients so much as blinked after receiving progress T&M invoices, not informing them of the increases beforehand, only adding more work to their wish lists. I don’t think builders would be all that receptive to price increases.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I am wondering if anyone else here has cut the cost of jobs to encourage more sales. Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, I know a lot of workers took a massive hit. I didn't have much work for the last few months. I started offering deals and now I am getting more jobs again. I just hope the whole ordeal is dealt with soon so we can go back to normal.

Anyways else cut prices or offer deals since the virus outbreak?
Reading back through the thread the trend seems to be don't cut prices, but I also noticed that the guys that have chimed in all seem to be older and well established. I don't know your situation, but I'll bet that all of these guys, including myself, have had to make concessions along the way to keep working during tough times. Do what you have to do to get to where you need to be. Just make sure that if you have to compromise your wages you don't compromise the quality of your work. Repeat business and good referrals come from the results. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,407 Posts
Reading back through the thread the trend seems to be don't cut prices, but I also noticed that the guys that have chimed in all seem to be older and well established. I don't know your situation, but I'll bet that all of these guys, including myself, have had to make concessions along the way to keep working during tough times. Do what you have to do to get to where you need to be. Just make sure that if you have to compromise your wages you don't compromise the quality of your work. Repeat business and good referrals come from the results. Good luck!

Very well said and absolutely true. When I first moved back to Ontario from Vancouver, BC I had to drop my hourly rate by almost $10/hr. to get work. Now that was moving from a large city to a small town where nobody has a clue who you are. Took a handful of years to get it back up to where I was at which was kind of defeating.

When I moved here, I wasn't going to get enough work by going out on my own so I ended up working for a local guy who does renovations/rentals/etc. Didn't help that he was also a cheap skate. However, at the time it paid the bills until I could jump ship and get back out on my own.

I seem to remember someone on here (Mr. Smith? Working during Covid thread?) saying that we were all going to have to drop our prices by at least 50% to keep going. I'd like to say that I could never do that, but.... Different times require different measures for everyone I guess.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I'm not cutting my price. I have built up a pretty decent repeat client base, and they don't flinch about my pricing, which is probably a little lower than it should be. As for new customers, they can take it or refuse it, I'm not working for peanuts at my age. I'd rather sit home on occasion that take on work that I underbid, just to have work. The house is paid for, the truck is paid for, I'll be ok.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I raised them a little. During the initial lockdown I slowed way down. I used the downtime to build a full shelving unit in my work van, and then I redid my personal van inside and out. Now, Im just as busy as before....

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I never cut prices. My prices only go up, because guys like me get harder to find every day.........
This statement convinced me to not quit. I’m having a terrible year. ONE quote and didn’t get the job. ( but I was also out 3 months taking care of a relative 24/7)
I’m irreplaceable, my time will come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't have to cut prices. I recently created a new website based on lead generation and it's worked great, eves/especially during COVID.

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
You all are kidding, right? I mean, I thought we were all in a worse situation than the great depression. Damn you Ted Turner! I bet he's doing pretty good!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts