Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never sprayed this stuff before. Looks like it's going to need to be thinned alot? Any of you guys have experience in spraying sw all purpose enamel? Going on trims and doors. Using 440. 211 tip I think.
What you guys think??

·
Registered
297 Posts
I sprayed "All Surface Enamel" like 4 years ago. Used a 310 or 312 don't remember. Didn't require any thinning. Sprayed like paint... you will be fine. Don't over think it.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
Depends if your talking about WB or Oil? I spray WB ASE all the time. I have never thinned it. I've sprayed it with 11 and 13 tips, but prefer 10 or 12 FF tips myself. If your using the oil based version, thinning may be needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sure have...

-Spray tip used depends on what area is being sprayed
- I have an older Wagner airless that i only put oil through. I clean up with fuel. Heaps cheaper then turps.
- also if you use a quick dry oil based paint. It goes off quickly.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
Sure have...

-Spray tip used depends on what area is being sprayed
- I have an older Wagner airless that i only put oil through. I clean up with fuel. Heaps cheaper then turps.
- also if you use a quick dry oil based paint. It goes off quickly.
Is it just me, or does anyone else here an "Aussie" accent when they read this? :thumbup:

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
The paint stays soft for a long time, other than that it does have a nice finish to it. I did a complete kitchen cab job with it - all black - and it had a nice uniform finish and sheen. Luckily I had plenty of time on the rest of the project to let it dry and harden before mounting the doors and drawers, because it took about 3 weeks for it to really cure. On metal, it did cure a lot faster.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I only use it on front doors. I generally use Pro-Classic on doors and trim.
Did you notice they changed the formula of proclassic? It is workable by brush longer than before, but I personally can't seem to get it dialed in good through a sprayer. I think I prefer the old formula.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've sprayed over 100 gallons of the wb version. Used a 212FF tip and no thinning with my rig at about 1850 psi. Recently ran a couple of gallons through my Pro shot fine finish, again no thinning.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
Did you notice they changed the formula of proclassic? It is workable by brush longer than before, but I personally can't seem to get it dialed in good through a sprayer. I think I prefer the old formula.
I havent noticed a difference in the formula, but I also havent sprayed the WB Pro Classic in a while. The last trim package I sprayed was with Pro Classic Oil. Good stuff :thumbup: As for the All Surface Enamel, I have only used it on front doors and I always spray it. I think it brushes like crap. I also stopped using house paint (Super Paint) on gutters and switched to DTM instead and Im really happy with the results :thumbsup:

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I was talking to an old painter friend who's been doing this work for going on 40 years yesterday about ASE. I know he does alot of cab/trim painting using ASE. As a matter of fact, he's the one who recomended it for the black cabs I did. He reminded me that he always "tipped" the faces of all of his work with a brush while still wet after spraying. I recalled him always doing so. This guy had the "touch" though. He could take a raggedy-azz brush and tip it off and you'd barely see any hint of brush marks, but when you saw how easily any touch-ups went and how they blended in, it was amazing....you'd never know. I never acquired his touch....though some say I am "touched". LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts