Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, where do I begin? I am about to start my own business doing interior painting, light trim and drywall, odd jobs etc... I did this professionally a number of years ago before I went into the Air Force after which I started working at a local glassware manufacturing company that now I simply have to leave for a number of reasons, number 1 of which is its going to physically kill me or I'm going to accidently kill someone else falling asleep at the wheel due to an insane rotating shift work (which is much worse of course). Other reasons include stress on family life (missing get-togethers, holidays etc), stress on my marriage - I believe that factory job had a hand in costing me my first marraige and I'll DA**ED if I let it negatively affect this one. I simply held on to the job for the insurance and pressure from parents, etc to "keep my job no matter what." Well heck with that anymore.... Anyway sorry for that little "explanation rant", just wanted to provide some background.

I'm a keep it simple kind of guy with a good reputation as a decent honest person (so I'm told) and that will transfer in my work. Its been a few years since I've done it so I'm going to be picking your brains for tips, tricks and advice. Thanks in advance for your help and support. Hope to learn alot here...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link! Looks like a TON of great information. I should point out a few advantages I have however. Namely that my wife is VERY supportive of me doing this. She is a RN and.makes.very good money and we can afford to experiment and see.what formula will work for me on this. I also don't have any intention of making some of these INCREDIBLY stupid mistakes like I see other contractors making like buying huge trucks and trailers with fancy graphics that cost huge amounts of money that they have to somehow pay for and can't figure out why they fall flat on their face in a few months. Dumb. My situation will allow me to start carefully, slowly, and wisely. I'm sure a lot of people talk about knowng people and that's fine but we actually do.... so Ill just leave that there lol. ( All legit mind you). But anyway, I look forward to hearing what you guys have got to say!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well because like I stated, I've done it before and it has nothing on the nitemare I work at now lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts