Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I'm brand new here.I started painting in 1981 my father had a company with 60 employees,so I was thrown into the fast paced world of new construction..In 1993 I opened my own company on what you call a shoestring budget.I built my 1st ladder out of 2x4s.He didn't help me out which was good,looking back on it.In 2006 I got out of it, not cause of lack of work.It was the other way around,too much work,too many employees,dealing with too big of #s.You see I stayed working right there with my employees,hell bent on not doing what my father did.I didnt want to do the quality of work he did,I thought it subpar .I wanted the best of quality,funny thing is when you try to micro-manage every little aspect,you can't get but so big.So I nearly had a nervous breakdown,working that many hours and that many days straight for that many years.My company was a success but I was a mentally spent.So I gave it upI didnt know the first thing about running a company.I learned on the fly but I never learned how to structure it to take the burden away from me.Ive been driving a tractor-trailer for the last 4 yrs and finally I saw the light,had an epiphany(sp) I guess you could say and have decided to get back into it.I have read everything I can get my hands on of running a business,last time I knew nothing but how to paint well.I have educated myself and educated myself,with the internet you can obtain a wealth of information that wasn't available to me at the early stages of my starting.I feel very confident this time around as I dont need the money to pay mortgages or put food on the table as before.My father who I thought did subpar work and ran a company I had no respect for at the time,turned out to be the best paint contractor I ever knew and the best business man.Funny how that worked out.You see he stayed in his office for 35 years and never touched a brush and retired a happy man.Hopefully now I can follow in his footsteps..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts