Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Manufacturing
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, My name is Amy. I am excited to learn from this forum.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
For things like that I'm always inclined to take a slow weekend when I need a "creative project" and make my own substitute (as inspired by the commercial design, of course). I hope to retire soon and start making up useful but simple things like that.

·
Registered
Manufacturing
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you use the GRK Rugged Structural Screws they have a washer already on them. Works great!

·
Registered
Manufacturing
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For things like that I'm always inclined to take a slow weekend when I need a "creative project" and make my own substitute (as inspired by the commercial design, of course). I hope to retire soon and start making up useful but simple things like that.
That is awesome!

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,210 Posts
If you use the GRK Rugged Structural Screws they have a washer already on them. Works great!
Can you explain how that would help, since you'd still be attaching the screw and washer on the outside of the door? Pretty sure @cocomonkeynuts suggested the washer between the Super Stacker and the door to prevent paint bridging, but if memory serves, your product is offset so that only 4 or 5 areas are making direct contact with the door, and as long as those areas are centered and less than the thickness of the door, (I think they are), then bridging shouldn't be a problem.

As an aside, I think Super Stackers benefits those who will be painting many doors of the same height. Where this product, (as well as many others), fall short is their inability to stack doors of varying heights. Still though, for anyone in need of something like this, I think it's a pretty good overall system that's much more affordable than many of the other products out there.

·
Registered
Manufacturing
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you explain how that would help, since you'd still be attaching the screw and washer on the outside of the door? Pretty sure @cocomonkeynuts suggested the washer between the Super Stacker and the door to prevent paint bridging, but if memory serves, your product is offset so that only 4 or 5 areas are making direct contact with the door, and as long as those areas are centered and less than the thickness of the door, (I think they are), then bridging shouldn't be a problem.

As an aside, I think Super Stackers benefits those who will be painting many doors of the same height. Where this product, (as well as many others), fall short is their inability to stack doors of varying heights. Still though, for anyone in need of something like this, I think it's a pretty good overall system that's much more affordable than many of the other products out there.
Troy you are correct about having the same height being beneficial. The screws I recommended are to keep the screw from going in too far through the stacker.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You misunderstand, you put a washer between the stacker and the bottom of the door so the plastic isn't sitting directly against the wood.
being from MT I've used these extensively and pretty familiar with the product though I don't currently carry them in my store I would be interested if you send me a PM.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

Paint bridging is still an issue with these but more to the point we put a washer because we prime the bottoms and these things will bond to a fresh coat of 046 and youll tear the door apart trying to separate them. Adding a washer also creates a small gap so its easier to paint the edges.

·
Administrator
20,033 Posts
Paint bridging is still an issue with these but more to the point we put a washer because we prime the bottoms and these things will bond to a fresh coat of 046 and youll tear the door apart trying to separate them. Adding a washer also creates a small gap so its easier to paint the edges.
I have always done the same.

Not a stackable option, but when doing a door or two I have drilled two holes in both the top and bottom and inserted gutter spikes into the holes, allowing the spikes to extend out four to five inches. Makes it easier to flip a door by myself and get the spikes sitting on a saw horse than it is with the narrower stackers.

·
Registered
Manufacturing
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have always done the same.

Not a stackable option, but when doing a door or two I have drilled two holes in both the top and bottom and inserted gutter spikes into the holes, allowing the spikes to extend out four to five inches. Makes it easier to flip a door by myself and get the spikes sitting on a saw horse than it is with the narrower stackers.
That is innovative!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Have used the super stackers for some time now. Overall great product with some limitations. After many coats of prime/paint the paint peels off the plastic and can fall on to the door below when stacked. Also, different door heights require a new pile to work which takes up more space. Another concern is heavy solid core doors warping. If you leave the doors to dry for a few hours your ok, but overnight can potentially cause a dip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts