Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Eric Howard. I am a painting contractor in Montana. I just wanted to say hello to everyone, and thank you for every piece of advice, and all the jokes. It helps to see other people in our trade loving it, hating it, and having fun with it.

I run a bare bones crew (2 guys), because of the economy here. We have been hit VERY hard. Luckily I have been able to keep the two working and still making some money. I am young and am very ambitious. My goal before I retire is to paint the Golden Gate bridge along with other large projects.

I will be moving to Austin Texas towards the end of the summer, and was wondering how the economy is doing there. Also if there are a lot of illegal painting business underbidding the legit ones?

Also, I am looking to purchase a large sprayer, but because of the unstable economy don't want to spend to much. I have always bought Gracos, but am thinking about a Spraytech 2555. Have any of you had luck with these or bad luck for that mater? And what about the titan 840i? My Sherwin's rep will sell me one for $2200, complete kit which is a GREAT deal but I'm afraid will not push enough product. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thank you so much!
Eric Howard

·
17,849 Posts
Welcome Eric

The 840i pushes out the equivelent of the Graco's 795 max2
I do not know what you are planning on spraying with it but it moves a good amount of heavily bodied materials.
I like older Spraytech machines i used to use a 2205 that made me a good bit of money. The 2555 is a pretty tough rig.

·
talentless hack
164 Posts
What are you going to spray? For tracs that might be a bit small for my liking. For tracs we like using .032 wide racks and that sprayer would never keep up. For our medium custom homes that would be a great all in one sprayer, It would keep up with an ff tips up to 029's. For fire you would want a big gas because total burns around here usually don't have power and the material we spray is like mud. Big custom we use all little stuff like the 490 and pressure pot hvlp's. for t-up we use a touch up gun and air from a paint ball tank. If I were looking for an all in one unit I would be looking for something that would do at least a buck a minute like the 1095. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was great feedback, thank you! I am looking for a machine to do just about everything, well anything the ecomomy throws our way. Mostly we do custom new construction, and repaints. I am looking to get more into commercial as well as industrial, but really need to learn more about it before I feel comfortable taking on projects. I have a 490 that I use for repaints, and some finishing stuff but just really want to bring one pump to a job instead of two.

Which HVLP's are you guys using? I've only used the ones with an air compressor. Are there any advantages to the self contained Graco's, and Capspray's? Thanks agian

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
Welcome! 840i is a nice unit and that sounds like a nice price. Get him to throw in extra tips and spray accessories to sweeten the deal. They are starving for sprayer sales.

I think the Golden Gate has a full time paint crew working on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! 840i is a nice unit and that sounds like a nice price. Get him to throw in extra tips and spray accessories to sweeten the deal. They are starving for sprayer sales.

I think the Golden Gate has a full time paint crew working on it.

Shoot really? Well if I did get the job it would be a revolving income! Its probably the state that hires the crew, not a independent contractor!?!
Am I accurate there?

I have also found a spraytech 2555 for under $1200. It was a demo pump that was used ONCE!!! The only catch is that it doesn't come with the factory warranties, which sucks. What would you choose?

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts

Features:

• Technologically advanced PMDC high-output motor is lightweight and quiet.
  • Designed with no-wear parts for a 100,000 gallon motor warranty.
  • Electronic Pressure Control for tight deadband and low pressure spraying using light viscosity materials.
  • Large ported fluid passages for improved flow with heavy viscosity materials.
  • Exclusive Electronic Sensor Priming which minimizes dry-priming and extends packing life and reduces downtime.
  • Accommodates up to 400' of power cord
  • Full size, twin outlet fluid filter
  • Full size manifold filter
  • 12" inch semi-pneumatic tires
Looks like a nice rig. I'm not sure what you would be using it for but for small - medium residential it looks fine. The price is great and who cares about the warranty. Ive never used one on a rig. Go find a good pump repair guy to maintain your stuff. Look to see if there is a Express Pump Repair near you. I know they have a dozen locations across the country.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NEPS:
Thanks man! Appreciate it. Hey what is an Express Puno? I'll be using it for medium residential and maybe some larger stuff. I know its a great deal and last year I would have bought four if they had them at that price, but these days its even hard to fork out 1200!!!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Eric said:
My goal before I retire is to paint the Golden Gate bridge along with other large projects.
Hey! Thats one of my goals as well!
NEPS is right. There is a crew of 7 or 12 (I cant remember which) that sand blast and paint the bridge full time. We took a tour under it in '07:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG, beautiful, beautiful!!! I would just love to be up there on a nice foggy day joking around with the guys 746 feet in the air, covered in red paint!!! I think that would be so freaking great!!! Sure would impress clients when you show them a client-referal list. That is crazy to think 7-12 guys at all times!!! Did you actually see them in action? I could tell there was something going on in the picture but wasn't sure what they were doing! Thanks man appreciate it!

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
I hope you guys knows somebody that knows somebody.
I thought they in housed the painting on the bridge. Oh well. I always thought it would be cool to work with a crew, not actual be contracted. Just think of all the liabilities, ins, safety, water and air pollution. Its a lot more than just painting while scaling the bridge like spider man. We have done some jobs in SF, and one thing that is huge is union. We are not union and will never be.
Don't forget the new law in SF to, every employer must give health ins to their employee. Oh ya and the environmentalist that live on every paint job out there. There is so much to think about because SF is its own little country.
And WELCOME from Cali

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotta love Cali!!! I was born and raised there, I lived in San Jose, Hollister, Roseville, San Fransico, and we still have a lake house at Lake Tulloch. I love, love, LOVE Cali and always will but like you are saying: there are so many damn laws!!! Oh and what about the 11% sales tax in the city?!! Ridiculous! I'm planning on moving back and will probably move to Walnut Creek or Atheton but it's easier to make money in Montana...well...not now!!! I also tried getting my license there but because I was 19 and worked for my dad under the table, I didn't have the hours. Do you think if I had my business and license in another state for 4 years that would qualify? Everthing is so strict down there, and just getting your license is an accomplishment, so congrats!!!

Bender:

Yea I can totally make that guy out!! What a job! How did you get those pics? It looks like you are on a barge?!? Thanks for the pics man, maybe one day will be bidding against each other!

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
ahhh, he's from HI... He only landed here to start his career... Kind of bugs me that he gets labeled that..

but actually the sales tax had nothing to do with him that would be the Daley/Stroger machine that runs Chicago city and cook county politics...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts