Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading this forum for awhile now and thought it was time a proper introduction was made. I am a painter for a restoration contractor, but I got to that position by accident. I worked summers for a friend of my dad as a house painter as a teen. We did the typical stuff and it was some spending money for a kid. 18 years later and 13 of those in a factory I quit to go to work for an acquaintance whom my wife already worked for. I became his shop painter because of my previous experience:eek: . I received a crash course in using a hvlp and was pretty much left to learn it myself.

That is what brought me here to begin with. Now it appears as though I will be unemployed tomorrow and have been considering starting my own business:blink: The economy is rough in my area and I'm wondering if I can make a decent living as a painter/painting contractor.

Anyway thats who I am nice to meet you.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Welcome
Yes! You can make a great living being a paint contractor. Regardless of the current economy. This is the best time to start a business if you manage it right.
Good luck!

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Welcome aboard! Use the search function. You will find out more info then you can store in your brain! The board is a great reference tool.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it looks like I probably won't get laid off after all. But that still doesn't change my ambitions and am still considering my own business:thumbup:

Thanks for the links RCP and thanks for the encouragement from everybody else

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
welcome. If you know what you are doing skill wise, take all the info in that you can about how to run your business and slowly take on side projects.. getting the feel for working for yourself then naturally it will just take over and that guy will then need to treat you like a true sub and hopefully life will be merry!

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Glad to hear about your job!:thumbsup:
It is tough, but very doable to keep working while starting up a biz.
That gives you time to get all the proper legal requirements in order and start buying equipment.

·
I'm Colour Blind
1,630 Posts
Yup! That how i did it. The hardest part for me, was to stop calling them sidejobes.
Same as!
We call 'em "Privates" over here (UK) when working for someone and then we do extra painting outside subbing/painting employment,,, Well, some of us do.

Build up your "privates" while subbing/working for someone and before you know it, you'll be so inundated with "prives" that you gotta jack in your day job to concentrate on your own work.

I was a tad lucky that when I decided to go on my own I had built up a mix of my own and my Dad's customers when he passed away :( :) :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts