Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 years professional painting experience. Started in 2012, lived and worked in New Hampshire. Was employed by a medium sized painting contractor. I had the freedom to choose what paint I wanted to use on my jobsites (had company credit card and could shop anywhere I wanted). For interior always used ProMar 200 or Ultra-Spec 500. Liked them both. Didn't care for anything from Lowe's or Home Depot. Nor did I care for the high end stuff from Ben Moore or Sherwin, thought is was overkill.

Fast forward a few years and I had the opportunity to relocate to a different state, change careers and make more money in a different industry.

I now live in southwest Florida and have been out of the painting industry for almost 4 years.

Just bought a house with the wife and pretty much the entire interior needs painting. Obviously going to do it myself.

Stopped into the local Ben Moore place the other day and they wanted $47 a gallon for Ultra Spec 500. Just a few short years ago I could get it in New Hampshire for $28 a gallon.

Although it's my favorite interior paint, it's just not in the budget since I need around 10 gallons.

Guy at the paint place recommended Florida Paints, which I've never used and know nothing about.

Was around $30 per gallon for what he claimed to be similar to Ultra Spec 500. Swore the quality was just as good. I'm skeptical since the price difference is so large.

Whats the scoop on Florida Paints? Are they good quality or was the sales guy giving me a load of bull?

What paint should I use? Love PorMar 200 and Ultra Spec 500, but not in the budget. Going white semi gloss. Advice and opinions welcomed

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I don't know a thing about Florida Paints, so I can't help there.

Price out BM Scuff-X. Although I think it will probably be around the Ultraspec 500 you'd still thank yourself in the long run. It's a good product. As for Promar 200 vs either one - I don't think there's any comparison. BM blows SW away in that regard.

"A few short years ago" was pre-COVID. So don't expect anything to be priced similarly - or to be similarly available. Resin shortages, among other things, have hit things hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried the PPG speedhide at Home Depot? If you buy that in 5s it’s ~$21 per gallon. The eggshell has a little less sheen than a typical eggshell. That is my favorite $20 per gallon paint and it’s available 7 days a week. I pay around 35 for ultra spec.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Have you tried the PPG speedhide at Home Depot? If you buy that in 5s it’s ~$21 per gallon. The eggshell has a little less sheen than a typical eggshell. That is my favorite $20 per gallon paint and it’s available 7 days a week. I pay around 35 for ultra spec.
buying anything at homedepot practically gives me an aneurysm, can't imagine going there for paint

·
Monarchski
357 Posts
I have 6 years professional painting experience. Started in 2012, lived and worked in New Hampshire. Was employed by a medium sized painting contractor. I had the freedom to choose what paint I wanted to use on my jobsites (had company credit card and could shop anywhere I wanted). For interior always used ProMar 200 or Ultra-Spec 500. Liked them both. Didn't care for anything from Lowe's or Home Depot. Nor did I care for the high end stuff from Ben Moore or Sherwin, thought is was overkill.

Fast forward a few years and I had the opportunity to relocate to a different state, change careers and make more money in a different industry.

I now live in southwest Florida and have been out of the painting industry for almost 4 years.

Just bought a house with the wife and pretty much the entire interior needs painting. Obviously going to do it myself.

Stopped into the local Ben Moore place the other day and they wanted $47 a gallon for Ultra Spec 500. Just a few short years ago I could get it in New Hampshire for $28 a gallon.

Although it's my favorite interior paint, it's just not in the budget since I need around 10 gallons.

Guy at the paint place recommended Florida Paints, which I've never used and know nothing about.

Was around $30 per gallon for what he claimed to be similar to Ultra Spec 500. Swore the quality was just as good. I'm skeptical since the price difference is so large.

Whats the scoop on Florida Paints? Are they good quality or was the sales guy giving me a load of bull?

What paint should I use? Love PorMar 200 and Ultra Spec 500, but not in the budget. Going white semi gloss. Advice and opinions welcomed
Not trying to be a jerk but if you "love" Promar 200, almost any paint will work. Sorry but that stuff is colored water.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Shop around paint reps. Sooner or later you will find a good one who will take care of you. And try a PPG store. YOu dont need to buy it at Home depot, but PPG is generally quite a bit cheaper than BM, and still has quality products. If you can get a good price on Pure Performance, that is a great go-to middle of the road paint, but Speedhide is a damn good contractor grade paint. a HELLUVA lot better than Promar...

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Shop around paint reps. Sooner or later you will find a good one who will take care of you. And try a PPG store. YOu dont need to buy it at Home depot, but PPG is generally quite a bit cheaper than BM, and still has quality products. If you can get a good price on Pure Performance, that is a great go-to middle of the road paint, but Speedhide is a damn good contractor grade paint. a HELLUVA lot better than Promar...
have you used ultra hide?

·
Monarchski
357 Posts
He's getting charged retail pricing and Ultra Spec is far superior to Promar and Speedhide.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
He's getting charged retail pricing and Ultra Spec is far superior to Promar and Speedhide.
He didnt say anything about pricing for speedhide. Yes, ultraspec is better, (definitely not FAR better, though) but if I could get a deal for $10 less a gallon, I'd take speedhide. Thats why I said to shop around. Make the reps fight for your business.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I would like to hear a review of ultra hide as well. I live in an area that doesn't have PPG stores but we do have HD. I can buy the 6-4 primer at HD and speedhide. I think HD is bringing in Ultra Hide.
I wouldnt have a problem using speedhide from Home Depot for the right price, but I WOULD have a problem with their paint department mixing it for me....

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,253 Posts
He didnt say anything about pricing for speedhide. Yes, ultraspec is better, (definitely not FAR better, though) but if I could get a deal for $10 less a gallon, I'd take speedhide. Thats why I said to shop around. Make the reps fight for your business.
He's not a painting contractor anymore, so I doubt anyone is fighting for his business. lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went with PPG SpeedHide. Spent the weekend painting. Like it a lot. Was happy with how it went on. Took 2 coats on walls to get a professional result and 3 coats on doors. I'm painting the entire interior of a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom house with 2 living rooms along with halls and closets.

Speedhide semi gloss was nearly sold out at my local Home Depot. 2 5-gallon buckets left when I went. I got one and the other was grabbed by someone else a half minute later. Gallons nearly sold out as well. Only a couple left. For the price I paid I'm very happy with it. Be getting another 5 gallon next weekend. Thank you to those who suggested it.

As I mentioned it's been 4 years since I made a living painting. I had sticker shock buyng supplies. My favorite roller cover (Purdy Contractor Series 3/8 inch) went way up. Used to be $2.99, is now $4.79. Roller handle I forget the price, but I remember thinking it was way higher than I remember.

Interestingly enough my favorite brush (Wooster Ultra Firm 2.5 inch dale) was exactly the same price I remember around $13

1 - 20 of 21 Posts