Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im spraying SWilliams Classics Waterborne Poly through my Graco Airless onto trim and doors. I've had some great success but alas Ive been plagued by fish eye. Anyone have experience with this? I recently had my machine repacked and wonder if somehow the oil is getting into the line. TSL fluid contamination also? Its weird. I sprayed three doors (first coat) and they looked great. Moved on to some other doors that had already been coated once and they blew up. I wonder if the contamination is in the material in the can or in the material on the wood, or somehow the material is being adulterated during spray as it passes through my machine. It a trifecta of possibility. Makes me wonder if an airless is the machine to avoid when using a wb polyurethane.:blink:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Get a new line. Run some kruddcutter through pump let set 10-15 minutes then flush with clean water. Check piston area for any signs of leaks or metal rubbing around the throat seal. IE your packings may be starting to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flushed my line and machine with DNA and finish looks good on new doors, However, the previously coated doors which I've sanded once and applied a 2nd coat are still fishIing. I am brushing them out now which isnt too bad but it sure isnt production speed. I'll find out tomorrow if the contamination has been sealed- got to sand and apply one more coat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatever it was- I'm guessing I contaminated my material with TSL throat oil from my sprayer, its buried now under a couple of coats. Where there was some fisheyeing still making its way through I did a final light sand and wiped with Denatured and water about 40/60.
The little pits pretty much disappeared. Definitely recommend wipe down with denatured before finish coats with this SW Classics polyurethane. And it sprays well with fine finish tip- 410 in this case and 2000 psi. Till I can afford a different machine the airless works fine- though flushing and saving material becomes a real chore.

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
SILICONE.
Most likely was on the wood. If you sanded before cleaning, you contaminated other surfaces, as well as your sanding paper & rags. If you cleaned first, the rags probably transferred it to other surfaces, since they were contaminated.

It's not the product.
It's not the pump or the line, gun, nor the TSL.
It's not the person who re-packed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts