Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,081 Posts
I see that you haven’t filled out any of the profile information that is requested or posted an introduction of yourself. Could you please do so and let us know a bit about your level of professional painting experience?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did fill out some information also including my company website. I have been designing, painting and paper hanging for over 30 years.
I’m on a job that is cedar siding. It has penofin oil clear cedar finish on it with black mold. No matter what I use to remove mold it is lifting the penofin which is causing me to have to strip the entire home! I’m using the Ben Moore remove and then the brighten. This has been by far the worst project in all my years. If you have any suggestions as to a better process please advise. Also what does anyone suggest as the best clear coat for cedar siding?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I would maybe try some 30% hydrogen peroxide I have had success with that in the past for mold and water stains over an oil finish.

Other than that yes you are looking at stripping, brighten and restaining.

DO NOT clear coat exterior cedar siding. Use penetrating oils with UV inhibitors like cetol SRD, TWP100, benjaminmoore 326, or if you need "clear" Daly's shipnshore. and get your customer on a 2-3 year maintenance schedule to avoid costly stripping in the future.

I just looked at a job stripping 20 year old sikkens 123 even though 80% of it is in good shape many lower boards are failing and need to be stripped. Impossible to blend back into 20 year old varnish so stripping the entire place is warranted. What could have been easy cleaning and recoat is now $100k+ and 4-6 months process

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,081 Posts
I actually did fill out some information also including my company website. I have been designing, painting and paper hanging for over 30 years.
I’m on a job that is cedar siding. It has penofin oil clear cedar finish on it with black mold. No matter what I use to remove mold it is lifting the penofin which is causing me to have to strip the entire home! I’m using the Ben Moore remove and then the brighten. This has been by far the worst project in all my years. If you have any suggestions as to a better process please advise. Also what does anyone suggest as the best clear coat for cedar siding?
Thank you! Welcome to the group.
Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IT's possible the mold is underneath the oil. Stripping sounds like the best option. A stronger commercial bleach may be required for the mold. I would maybe switch to a semi transparent stain. Any pics?
Yes we had to strip everything. The first day tried bleach and simple green to remove mold but it started to remove the oil finish. Second day, Started with Ben Moore remove and then brighten but that was a crappy system. struggled all day scrubbing the third day, today we used Penofin step 2 wood cleaner and that worked much much better! Perhaps because original siding is all penofin oil or maybe it’s just a fabulous cleaner. I will definitely use that product again! The siding is all raw and clean now. We used the Ben Moore Brighten on everything to neutralize. Trying to talk client into and semisolid Arborcoat.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Yes we had to strip everything. The first day tried bleach and simple green to remove mold but it started to remove the oil finish. Second day, Started with Ben Moore remove and then brighten but that was a crappy system. struggled all day scrubbing the third day, today we used Penofin step 2 wood cleaner and that worked much much better! Perhaps because original siding is all penofin oil or maybe it’s just a fabulous cleaner. I will definitely use that product again! The siding is all raw and clean now. We used the Ben Moore Brighten on everything to neutralize. Trying to talk client into and semisolid Arborcoat.
Looks like you got it all fairly clean why use a semisolid?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Any thoughts on Ready Seal?
I like readyseal on decks it holds up well in the northern climates and easy to maintain but not first choice for siding.
Sikkens SRD
TWP100
Benjamin Moore 326
High quality penetrating drying oils will last a good long time and easy maintenance.

As mentioned "log and siding" type products are film forming and if you thought stripping penofin was an adventure wait until you get to charge 3x that labor in stripping varnish from an entire house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts