Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Summerville SC, hot, humid, plenty of rain. I'm posting this is 2 forums (General Paint Discussion and Surface Prep and Application). I am a homeowner. I have 300 foot wraparound tongue and groove 3/4" penta wood pine deck/porch biult in 1983. Totally covered, minimum pitch. Problem is blowing rain on corners where tongues are cut at 45 degree angle to keep T&G all uniformly radiating from house to edge of porch. I am 2nd owner. For first 10 years, looked as if previous owner just stained it and left alone: very dried looking, outer 3/4 x 4" board which butted against ends of 3" wide T&G was separated almost a finger width from ends and ends of boards were swelled from water. I replaced outer board with wolmanized board and had lumber mill bevel bottom to allow it to sit on outer joist at slight angle. At that time I also added 6" gutters/w/covers with 4x6 downspouts to 4" drains away from the house 50-150ft. Then used wood stabilizer/petrifier to treat all ends of boards. Then, unfortunately, due to big push on VOCs, I applied Behr water-based deck stain. Lasted maybe 2 years. Then local paint company owner came to look at porch, was surprised at how good it looked, recommended I sand away Behr, patch bad spots, used the petrifier on any soft spots at edges and put down Cabot's problem solver primer with Cabot's alkyd solid deck stain. I did that work myself. Just 2 years ago, that paint dealer was gone, so went to Sherwin Williams, they recommended Tred-Plex, a water-based paint and I paid someone to apply it. Now that is flaking off and I myself will do the fix. There were a couple of places where the wood was soft on top at the corners where boards meet at 45 degree angle and rain hits those spots pretty hard during blowing rain. The wood was sound except in some places on top. The painter scraped out that and filled those in with bondo. The bondo there is fine, but the finish bubbled and peeled off after the first few rains and is now flaking/peeling pretty much all over the 2000sf of deck. I squeegee this deck, especially these 2 corners, after every rain when any gets on the porch
Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate any recommendations for a good primer and top coat and the procedures to get a good bond on old finish. Don't want to sand down to bare wood again. Was told could use 60 grit to roughen surface then use GOOD primer then use GOOD topcoat. Would love to use TWP since it is the only EPA approved wood preservative but the Cabot's problem solver primer I'm sure would not allow the twp to penetrate into the wood. So I am left with good prep, good primer, good topcoat option. I've read a lot o here and elsewhere about xim primer. ANYWAY, I'd appreciate the experts' advice on how to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
9,509 Posts
Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.