Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After what seems like a lifetime, I'm near the end of my education degree. Actually I'm debating sticking with painting/renovating full time another year or so as business is good and I'm really enjoying it....alright the 'thrill' of the next job is dangerously addictive. ;) (I fear my teaching certificate will be collecting dust ten years from now)

Anyway, I'm taking a Economic Geography course at the moment. I have a 'buff' (non-academic) paper on what is called a "Commodity Chain"....simply is what it sounds like, 'what is the process from raw materials to a commodity (product for sale)?'

I'm thinking about doing research on the 'commodity chain' of house paint. So, since I'm in the preliminary research stage I thought I'd do an alter call for information.....

Please post if you have any random pieces of info on the making of house paint. What is the composition? Where is it made? Which company does most of the manufacturing? Domestic/off shore? History and origin of pigments? How retail works? Distribution?....some ideas off the top of my head.

If you have any tid bits of the making of paint and its chain please post....I'll sift and narrow the scope and direction if need be.

Thanks All......

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
"How Is It Made" (a tv show) did a piece on this. Don't know if you can get a copy somehow, but it was pretty good. The History Channel also did a piece on the history of paint several years ago that covered most of the bases. Don't remember the name of the show.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
A google search gave me the following result:

History

Cave paintings drawn with red and yellow ochre, hematite, manganese oxide, and charcoal may have been made by early **** sapiens as long as 40,000 years ago.
Ancient painted walls at Denerdera, Egypt, which were exposed for many ages to the open air, still possess a perfect brilliancy of color, as vivid as when they were painted about 2,000 years ago. The Egyptians mixed their colors with some gummy substance, and applied them separated from each other without any blending or mixture. They appeared to have used six colors: white, black, blue, red, yellow, and green. They first covered the field entirely with white, upon which they traced the design in black, leaving out the lights of the ground color. They used minium for red, and generally of a dark tinge.
Pliny mentions some painted ceilings in his day in the town of Ardea, which had been executed at a date prior to the foundation of Rome. He expresses great surprise and admiration at their freshness, after the lapse of so many centuries.
Paint was made with the yolk of eggs and therefore, the substance would harden and stick onto the surface applied. Pigments were made from plants, sands, and different soil types.

more here

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys...some goods links there...I'm actually in class with my laptop right now.

So far I've paid for some services done this week online, sent a message to Rona to have wood delivered to a fence location I'm building and mailed a customer about their re-paint job......the prof is saying 'something' up there. Got to love wireless technology!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I believe the CustomWritings service is the very service being used by both political parties to write the majority of party policy....noted for such greats as the green...well I guess I had better not get too political. BUT who can blame the parties for employing a writing service. These days there are just too many great apps, video games, micro brews and premium coffees to be bothered with coming up with your own ideas. So they just do as they did while in college...pay someone else to do the work!

·
Administrator
21,638 Posts
If he got an education degree, he should be in high demand right now - at least out here. Of course, he could still be working a night shift because… well, he GOT an education degree. 😕

1 - 13 of 13 Posts