Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , We have been in business for 19 years [1996 to present ] when we incorporated we were licensed for Deck topping , pressure cleaning and staining ,in 1997 when receiving our licence for that year it read pressure cleaning Deck topping ,this continued until 2005 when the occupational licence stated Pressure cleaning No painting [ from 2005 to present ]I immediately contacted Tallahassee and after much runaround was told the scope of work you do is [ A GREY AREA ] for 20 years we have been in the resurfacing business excellent ratings , not one complaint with better business in 20 years , being pursued by Angie's list because of the excellent reviews of our work by Angie's list customers.During those 20 years we went about our business never got as much as a look from inspectors when on job sites , my thinking was we do not do structural work we resurface existing concrete , one example
Royal Palm municipality , we got a bid for resurfacing a small parking lot , I went to building Dept , explained the scope of our work , showed liability insurance , occupational licence , workman's comp exempt document , was given the green light for project by head of building dept. we continued doing our resurfacing no problems no inspectors questioning our work , we put in a bid on a project in Highland Beach , again I went to Highland Beach building dept , showed all our documentation[ liability insurance , occupational licence , workman's comp exempt ] payed the fee received permit to do work , 3 week project , one day before completion palm beach licensing show up , issues citation because we are not licensed for Painting , went to licensing division and was told that we have to pay a $250.00 fine , next time $500.00 and if issued a citation again it is a Misdemeanor , I got the packet for certification to be a painting contractor , [ now we don't paint anything , we stain the decorative overlays on existing concrete ] after going through the paper work we realized that the cost is close to $2,000.00 for filing and testing , plus $200.00 bond , credit check etc . Now my wife [president of corporation ] went through and is currently dealing with breast cancer [ had operation ] also had to have hysterectomy , the additional coasts of insurance pay out exhausted our cash reserve , and did a number on her credit , [ as I stated she is the pres. of the corporation but also does cleaning service to support our income ] so now she hasn't worked in 5 months business is slow [ were scared to death to go out and earn a living ] so here we are im 64 half crippled been doing what we do most of my life , wife cant work , how are we supposed to pay our bills ,20 years , no notification of the new requirements EVER by anyone , we just got thrown under the bus , just what are we superposed to do , stand on a corner with a sign , the stress of everything is taking its toll on us between the medical issues and now this licensing issue . Im pissed , im scared , Im too old and crippled to work for someone else , I have been told by my supply house that we should work under someones [ umbrella ] , Im at my ropes end , am thinking about maybe speaking to a lawyer because what they did to us is basically tell us you need licensing BUT you cant go out and earn a living to pay for that, now Im all for discouraging the [GYPSY'S ]who pray on people out there BUT their out there making money and the little guys [like us after 20 years ] get thrown under the bus , Any help greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
58 Posts
It looks like you are in the same county as me. Beings I'm a cleaning contractor wanting to get into doing similar to what you do, I hit the same brick wall doing the research on getting my "business tax id" for painting. (I was told by city hall this is new term for occupational license).

I've looked at that same $1500+ options as you. I must say I am too slow on painting to justify these costs, while rest of Palm Beach County runs a muck not obeying the rules.

I believe your scope of work may be too large for this link to apply, but it still might. Anyone else in South Florida I would love to hear any feedback as well.
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/division/Servicesthatrequirealicense_Construction.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.