Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a painting contractor based in Indiana. I have a crew of around 10 people. Since outdoor painting season is short here, I focus on indoor jobs.

Does anyone have a recommendation for project estimating software?

·
Registered
109 Posts
RCP,

Are you also using Quick Books for payroll? If so, are you happy with it? Easy to set up?

(yeah, I'm an FNG who has not given an intro yet.....get one out soon) :thumbup:

Respectfully,

Brian

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
RCP,

Are you also using Quick Books for payroll? If so, are you happy with it? Easy to set up?

(yeah, I'm an FNG who has not given an intro yet.....get one out soon) :thumbup:

Respectfully,

Brian
No, I use a Mac and 2007 QB and last time I checked you had to use a third party for it, I don't know about the new version though. I have heard others that are happy, some of the others here may have better input.
My accountant offers payroll service, for $50 a month I just fax in the hours and they do it all. They also do the 941's and UI reports. I write one check to cover payroll and taxes, well worth it to me!

I do use the time card feature in QB to an awkward version of job costing.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
We have a member here is creating one, Pat, you done yet?

No, unfortunately not. really have not worked on it for a few months now. Well did a few things last weekend on getting my invoice part to work. Just been to busy with painting. One of my best summers that I can remember. I'm pretty sure I can thank Paint Talk for that. Learned allot here in the last year or so.

I'm going to shoot for the fall as being a realistic time for it to be ready.

For those who have not seen a preview, here is a video on creating a proposal.

Pat

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Pat whats you intention for it?

I mean....ya, its an estimator, but do you intend to keep it to yourself, share, sell, make an app?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Pat whats you intention for it?

I mean....ya, its an estimator, but do you intend to keep it to yourself, share, sell, make an app?
At first it was to take my new vb.net skills and sorta scratch my own itch type of deal. If that make sense. One day I was showing an older version to my best friend who is also a painting contractor said I should market this sucker. Since being on paint talk it appears many here bid by the item or day instead of the sf method. So I decided to make a new version and include many things that I learned here in it.

I guess at first I will release a free version just to see if anyone would even like it, get a little feedback. One thing or at least my opinion these type of programs only work for a few. It really depends on the individual thought process. So if I do decide to sell it, it will cost less then a gallon of Aura :). This way if it does not fit your style its really no big deal.

First thing though is I gotta finish it. Its just taking for ever lol

Pat

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
At first it was to take my new vb.net skills and sorta scratch my own itch type of deal. If that make sense. One day I was showing an older version to my best friend who is also a painting contractor said I should market this sucker. Since being on paint talk it appears many here bid by the item or day instead of the sf method. So I decided to make a new version and include many things that I learned here in it.

I guess at first I will release a free version just to see if anyone would even like it, get a little feedback. One thing or at least my opinion these type of programs only work for a few. It really depends on the individual thought process. So if I do decide to sell it, it will cost less then a gallon of Aura :). This way if it does not fit your style its really no big deal.

First thing though is I gotta finish it. Its just taking for ever lol

Pat
I like the way it looks.

Played around with the BM one.

I'm still licking my finger and checking for wind direction on the front lawn on some estimates. Getting an iPhone and would like to have something on there that I could email to the customer immediately rather than waiting until I get home on the laptop.

Keep chunking away at it.

Reactions: PatsPainting

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
Pat,

I'll be your beta tester. Seriously. Send me a copy!

Thomas

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Just got me an android phone "Samsung Charge" When I'm finished with the above I will tackle on some sort of extension of the program to use on the android. I hear in order to release something for the iphone you gotta pay apple $99 bucks :(

Pat
You know, having a phone like this is getting to be an essential tool. My wife gave back her bb while she's on mat leave and she's going through withdrawal. Complaining that she has to 'write things down now'.

I'm an Apple fan, but whatever, these are all amazing 'machines'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, unfortunately not. really have not worked on it for a few months now. Well did a few things last weekend on getting my invoice part to work. Just been to busy with painting. One of my best summers that I can remember. I'm pretty sure I can thank Paint Talk for that. Learned allot here in the last year or so.

I'm going to shoot for the fall as being a realistic time for it to be ready.

For those who have not seen a preview, here is a video on creating a proposal.

Pat
What!? I thought I was the only painter who had a background in software development!! I'm amazed to know that there are more of us out there!

Would you like some help beta-testing it? :yes:

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Stick around, you will be continually amazed at the knowledge base of our members.:thumbsup:
I think that is a understatement. There are so many talented web, seo guys here. I would put my money on the guys here then most that are so called pros out there.

Sometimes I just laugh on some of the telemarketing goons that call me thinking that painters are nothing but beer drinking buffoons that are just clueless when it comes to computers. Well maybe they have a point on the beer drinking :yes:

CoatedInMatte - What type of background do you have in software development?

Pat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CoatedInMatte - What type of background do you have in software development?

Pat
I studied programming in college. I worked for a little while in QA, then I was a business analyst for a few years.

I program just for fun now. I usually program in VB, but I like C# the more I use it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,

I am new here and have done a similar thing for Aussie painters. I was wondering if with your program you have worked out just the rates and approximation of the material costs or do those that use the program have to input their own rates?

I have worked mine using excel (I found most people that are using the guide have excel and find it easy to use). On a basic formula of $10 per litre (approx 4 litres to a gallon) and an hourly rate of approx $45 per hour. I think our rates probably differ from yours however here that will give the contractor a fair and reasonable profit at the end of the job whether employing others or just doing the painting themselves.

All prices in mine are set in advance however they can be changed by the contractor to suit their needs.

Thanks,

Nigel
Home Painters Info

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Hi,

I am new here and have done a similar thing for Aussie painters. I was wondering if with your program you have worked out just the rates and approximation of the material costs or do those that use the program have to input their own rates?

I have worked mine using excel (I found most people that are using the guide have excel and find it easy to use). On a basic formula of $10 per litre (approx 4 litres to a gallon) and an hourly rate of approx $45 per hour. I think our rates probably differ from yours however here that will give the contractor a fair and reasonable profit at the end of the job whether employing others or just doing the painting themselves.

All prices in mine are set in advance however they can be changed by the contractor to suit their needs.

Thanks,

Nigel
Home Painters Info

I think most guys use excel or quickbooks and have customized it to reflect their materials and rates that fit their profile. I would imagine they can change these with no problems.

In the program that I'm writing, you can add your employees and their base wages, and the program will figure out the workers comp and overhead to be applied. The materials that I use are my prices from my local BM store. This also can be changed to what ever materials you use and your own prices.

Here is a screen shot of the company profile.

Pat

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts