Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked repeatedly to apply the Fine Paints of Europe on walls. The look is becoming very popular here in SF. While we have gotten very decent results after MUCH work (Clean tents set up out side work area, baby pools to collect dust) I find working with the product way too stressful and the money is not worth it. I was thinking of applying a lacquer and polishing it. I have done this to doors in my cabinet shop for years. However, my supplier is telling me that lacquer will eventually fail on drywall - even if I prep properly with all the right primers and such. Has anyone out there ever applied lacquer to sealed drywall?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Rye said:
I have been asked repeatedly to apply the Fine Paints of Europe on walls. The look is becoming very popular here in SF. While we have gotten very decent results after MUCH work (Clean tents set up out side work area, baby pools to collect dust) I find working with the product way too stressful and the money is not worth it. I was thinking of applying a lacquer and polishing it. I have done this to doors in my cabinet shop for years. However, my supplier is telling me that lacquer will eventually fail on drywall - even if I prep properly with all the right primers and such. Has anyone out there ever applied lacquer to sealed drywall?
I have seen it on GWB wainscot, and it is usually full of cracks.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
A high gloss sealer wouldn't work? WB poly possibly?

For high gloss finishes on drywall I like to use an enamel sometimes. It's hard, durable, and gives a pretty nice gloss. Not sure how it compares to Fine Paints of Europe, never worked with the stuff.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You can never get a high gloss with WB clears. I might recommend looking into the SW Polane products. The are ultra shiny and are used on golf balls, shafts, metal, etc. I am sure drywall would be no problem as they are ultra flexible.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Currently doing a project at a major University Law School. Very large project. Over 500,000 sq ft. We are using Advance High Gloss in an RAL deep red color over Level 5 finish. Like a mirror. Automotive like shine. We are using Air Scrubbers in the area and have it tented off. Scrubbers will give HEPA like air for 8000 sq ft. I've seen similar results with FPE. Glass like results in drywall. Very expensive and tedious work. Hedge Fund Greenwich CT people don't care. That's what I want, I didn't ask the price.

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
The advance high gloss is about as close as I've seen to FPoE sheen-wise. I put the Grand Entrance on my doors last year, which I'm pretty sure is just relabeled Advance high gloss. Very similar to the high gloss oil FPoE. Which is saying a lot.
Cool to hear about your project NACE! I took a class at the Pdca expo from a guy who does a lot of level 5 skim and paint for high end folks out in New York / Manhattan. And yes kids, he uses lots of festool to sand those walls. I think the last coat is sanded by hand only tho. Have to check my notes. I had to leave to class early to catch a plane.
Back to the topic, I would much rather use advance than FPE. I used a fair amount of FPE when it first came around these here parts, and while it looks cool, it's a real pita to deal with, as the op alluded to.
I have a potential client now who wants to use Farrow and Ball repainting an entire big super nice house. Even the trim. Hoping she will go with BM instead. Nice colors but I really don't want to deal with importing paint. Plus I especially don't want to try out a new trim paint (all the trim which is currently pigmented lacquer gets painted) with a product I've never used for a discerning client. That just can't be good.
Thread hijack over, please continue with your regularly scheduled programming.

·
repaintpro
971 Posts
A few homes back in the late 80s (bless the money flowing around then) we had a builder that used a company that specialized in spraying two pac on site to doors and door frames. Less than 2 years later we were back trying to rectify all the drywall around the door frames as it was de-laminating.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a potential client now who wants to use Farrow and Ball repainting an entire big super nice house. Even the trim. Hoping she will go with BM instead. Nice colors but I really don't want to deal with importing paint. Plus I especially don't want to try out a new trim paint (all the trim which is currently pigmented lacquer gets painted) with a product I've never used for a discerning client. That just can't be good.
You might not have to import it. It's available here in Peterborough at a high-end lumber store so I would only hope that somebody in Seattle carries it!
I like the colours a lot too and so far have been able to get the folks at BM to colour match with aura with great results.
If it's easy to get it would be great to try

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
You might not have to import it. It's available here in Peterborough at a high-end lumber store so I would only hope that somebody in Seattle carries it!

I like the colours a lot too and so far have been able to get the folks at BM to colour match with aura with great results.

If it's easy to get it would be great to try

I used it once several years ago. A client had it brought it. I wasn't impressed. Just seemed like regular wall paint to me. It was a pumpkin type color and a cream color. Didn't have exceptional hide or anything. Just paint. I don't think anyone around here carries it, tho I could check with Seattle painting, he would know for sure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
^^^
I've never tried it but I have seen it in one house, unfortunately painted by a group of friends. I'm not sure if they only did one coat but it lacked depth, like you say just looked like paint,and it couldn't make up for the crummy application. I'd like to try it one day though, I just have to convince a customer to pay $100/gallon!

Sorry, back to high-gloss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts