Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
Wow! Holy crap John that looks good. Good tips too. Can't say I have an air scrubber yet, but I'll have to look into it. Makes a lot of sense. I would love to see that up close and personal.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
John, you said kremlin I assume you mean AAA or auto spray meaning a traditional air hvlp spray gun with a compressor?

Awesome finishes. I have just ordered some black hollandlac to use on a table I have been working on. I don't have any air scrubbers, but a side draft spray booth.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That's as good as it gets, great work and lovely product. Is that timber if so what type?

Just heating the paint was the best tip I've ever received. Now its 2nd nature to sit the finish paint on top of a radiator or in warm water prior to using it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's as good as it gets, great work and lovely product. Is that timber if so what type?

Just heating the paint was the best tip I've ever received. Now its 2nd nature to sit the finish paint on top of a radiator or in warm water prior to using it.
Five gallon buckets with hot water..coffee mug or micro wave; put METAL pot or paint can sit in material just above room temp.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Five gallon buckets with hot water..coffee mug or micro wave; put METAL pot or paint can sit in material just above room temp.

Yeah I was saying we often leave our paint on top of radiators to heat them up. Or if none available pop the tin into warm water.

Very nice pics btw

What spray set up was used John, if you don't mind sharing?

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
Is that a wet film picture or dry film picture?

What tip size tip did you use?

Pressure settings on the AAA?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looks great.I seen their product back in 1994 and was going to use it.Back then i believe it was around $70 a gal.Then i drove by a local Fire Dept that used the high gloss red on their trim and doors.After 2-3 years it faded and looked chalky.I never tried it after that.I'm sure its good paint and is much different than years ago.I think theres only a few stores in the state that carry it.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Tremendous job!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The image is dry film. I will be posting a video after we complete all three colors... Along the lines of it looks wet but no it's dry.

Whatever equipment you use it's almost always lowest pressure while still moving the product. From our FPoE cert group I know contractors that have successfully used every system for Hollandlac. It's the art of not over stacking on corners with the deep base colors. Runs will kill; you cannot sand out a thick run because it takes too long to cure to powder sand.

Here is a link to the Houzz page for this project with more images .. Don't ban me moderators I am trying to ad to this conversation

http://www.houzz.com/projects/417946/Queen-Anne-High-Land-Drive

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
The image is dry film. I will be posting a video after we complete all three colors... Along the lines of it looks wet but no it's dry.

Whatever equipment you use it's almost always lowest pressure while still moving the product. From our FPoE cert group I know contractors that have successfully used every system for Hollandlac. It's the art of not over stacking on corners with the deep base colors. Runs will kill; you cannot sand out a thick run because it takes too long to cure to powder sand.

Here is a link to the Houzz page for this project with more images .. Don't ban me moderators I am trying to ad to this conversation

http://www.houzz.com/projects/417946/Queen-Anne-High-Land-Drive
Great looking work. How much harder is FPoE paints to use than say BM Regal Select? I am thinking about trying some out at my place and then showing customers what the finishes look like.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cdpainting said:
Great looking work. How much harder is FPoE paints to use than say BM Regal Select? I am thinking about trying some out at my place and then showing customers what the finishes look like.
The Fine Paints of Europe Hollandlac high gloss is in a class by itself and will require trail testing. The satin oil will handle like the Olde Satin Impervo from pre 2005 or P&L Cellutone.

Fine Paints of Europe also has a latex wall paint; I am not qualified to compare that to BM Regal Select; we have used Rselect on a limited basis.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts