Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site. I already introduced myself on the intro thread.

Anyway, I am looking at hiring a full time estimator. My company focuses on apartments, townhomes, dorms, hotels, etc. We are located in Dallas, TX. I have always done my own bidding for now over twenty years. I know all the standard rates for multi-family construction. But to be honest, my company has grown to a point where I really need to allocate my time elsewhere. Hence wanting to hire an estimator.Does anyone have any salary/commission/bonus guidelines that they can offer me? In other words, what kind of compensation do I offer? While I really need to know Texas area info, I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this site. I already introduced myself on the intro thread.

Anyway, I am looking at hiring a full time estimator. My company focuses on apartments, townhomes, dorms, hotels, etc. We are located in Dallas, TX. I have always done my own bidding for now over twenty years. I know all the standard rates for multi-family construction. But to be honest, my company has grown to a point where I really need to allocate my time elsewhere. Hence wanting to hire an estimator.Does anyone have any salary/commission/bonus guidelines that they can offer me? In other words, what kind of compensation do I offer? While I really need to know Texas area info, I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks!
Where do I send a resume???? I'll explain the whole thing to ya..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so I haven't gotten an estimator. But it seems like the replies on here on sarcastic/jokes. I am a woman owned minority business. I need an experienced local (Dallas) commercial estimator. I am offering a monthly salary plus a percentage of the contract(s) awarded. Resumes can be sumbitted to [email protected]. Please, no smart ass jokes. Serious inquiries only. Btw...I don't need painters. I need only an experienced estimator. Thanks

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Okay, so I haven't gotten an estimator. But it seems like the replies on here on sarcastic/jokes. I am a woman owned minority business. I need an experienced local (Dallas) commercial estimator. I am offering a monthly salary plus a percentage of the contract(s) awarded. Resumes can be sumbitted to [email protected]. Please, no smart ass jokes. Serious inquiries only. Btw...I don't need painters. I need only an experienced estimator. Thanks

your asking on a saturday night, All your going to get is smart ass jokes and goofy comments. Also this is a painting forum where most of us talk about paint chit. You might have better luck on craigs list or something, try your local paper.

Pat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do apologize. I thought these threads were for actual assistance with issues. Obviously I was wrong. Whoever suggested I go to CL has lost their mind. Everyone and their mother (literally) posts and answers and CL. I am looking for a specially qualified individual. Because I did so on a Saturday night means nothing less than that. What it means is that I am so busy as a single parent of five and running a painting business from home, that literally my only free time is Saturday and Sunday at random hours. Now, if there are any legitimate answers, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again.
[email protected]

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I do apologize. I thought these threads were for actual assistance with issues. Obviously I was wrong. Whoever suggested I go to CL has lost their mind. Everyone and their mother (literally) posts and answers and CL. I am looking for a specially qualified individual. Because I did so on a Saturday night means nothing less than that. What it means is that I am so busy as a single parent of five and running a painting business from home, that literally my only free time is Saturday and Sunday at random hours. Now, if there are any legitimate answers, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again.
[email protected]
I would imagine you would have better luck looking for a "specially qualified individual" through professional groups in your area like this. Linkedin might also be good. Look at your local Home Builders Association.

While their is some networking going here at Painttalk, it is mostly for painting contractors to share ideas about industry trends and standards. And to cut loose on a Saturday night!;) You are welcome to stick around and get to know us a little better, I don't think anyone meant to offend you.

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Now, if there are any legitimate answers, I'd love to hear them.
If I were in your position, I might try finding someone who is running a small operation but is tired of it. He would know something about painting, but probably not the business side of things. If you have some systems in place he wouldn't need to know multi-family or commercial necessarily.

Of course, attitude would be very important. Lots of "contractors" think they know it all, even though the state of their business says otherwise. And working for a woman wouldn't go over well with a lot of guys.

Someone who is young (under 3o) and has a family would have the energy and motivation. He would likely be more open to working for a woman. (Of course, you might find a woman who is the perfect candidate, but since this is a male dominated industry, my assumption is that most candidates will be male.)

Brian Phillips

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

Thanks again.
[email protected]
Put an ad in the paper and their online site as well. Also, I'd make sure to add and high-light that retirees are more then welcome to apply. If this is not a 40 hr / wk gig - it could be a win / win. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
if this gal is as experienced as she says she is. Im sure she is aware of the above options. I would rather promote a long well earned employee and train them, rather than hiring from the outside. keep it in the family, little risk. it's easier to hire another painter than taking a gamble on a estimator, you don't even know and have to train any ways

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
But I also understand that your probably wanting someone that can bring something to the table. Which is why most will even consider hiring a estimator. Unless you have 2 to 3 plans to bid a day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was paying mine a small salary and 10% net profits on jobs. Problem I had was that he wanted more salary and less commision. Which tells me he did not want to hussle for jobs. Found out latter that he was a drunk and I almost lost my biz on some low ball numbers he gave out. So be carefull, its a very important position. I now do all my own est.

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
I was paying mine a small salary and 10% net profits on jobs. Problem I had was that he wanted more salary and less commision. Which tells me he did not want to hussle for jobs. Found out latter that he was a drunk and I almost lost my biz on some low ball numbers he gave out. So be carefull, its a very important position. I now do all my own est.
Well then, you didn't hire an estimator, you hired a drunk. if you DID hire a real estimator, you'd have had no problem paying him a salary.

What did you hire him for? Minimum wage? lol

Seriously, most estimators are alright, you probably hired a bum...

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Well then, you didn't hire an estimator, you hired a drunk. if you DID hire a real estimator, you'd have had no problem paying him a salary.

What did you hire him for? Minimum wage? lol

Seriously, most estimators are alright, you probably hired a bum...
I don't have enough RFQ's to hire a full time estimator. Has anyone combined a sales position with an estimator's position to create a full time job? I am considering this and think it would be a killer fit. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts