Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Hire a Full Time Estimator???

13K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  RCP 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site. I already introduced myself on the intro thread.

Anyway, I am looking at hiring a full time estimator. My company focuses on apartments, townhomes, dorms, hotels, etc. We are located in Dallas, TX. I have always done my own bidding for now over twenty years. I know all the standard rates for multi-family construction. But to be honest, my company has grown to a point where I really need to allocate my time elsewhere. Hence wanting to hire an estimator.Does anyone have any salary/commission/bonus guidelines that they can offer me? In other words, what kind of compensation do I offer? While I really need to know Texas area info, I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks!

#6 ·
Okay, so I haven't gotten an estimator. But it seems like the replies on here on sarcastic/jokes. I am a woman owned minority business. I need an experienced local (Dallas) commercial estimator. I am offering a monthly salary plus a percentage of the contract(s) awarded. Resumes can be sumbitted to juliemcv@msn.com. Please, no smart ass jokes. Serious inquiries only. Btw...I don't need painters. I need only an experienced estimator. Thanks

#11 ·
I do apologize. I thought these threads were for actual assistance with issues. Obviously I was wrong. Whoever suggested I go to CL has lost their mind. Everyone and their mother (literally) posts and answers and CL. I am looking for a specially qualified individual. Because I did so on a Saturday night means nothing less than that. What it means is that I am so busy as a single parent of five and running a painting business from home, that literally my only free time is Saturday and Sunday at random hours. Now, if there are any legitimate answers, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again.
juliemcv@msn.com

#13 ·
I would imagine you would have better luck looking for a "specially qualified individual" through professional groups in your area like this. Linkedin might also be good. Look at your local Home Builders Association.

While their is some networking going here at Painttalk, it is mostly for painting contractors to share ideas about industry trends and standards. And to cut loose on a Saturday night!;) You are welcome to stick around and get to know us a little better, I don't think anyone meant to offend you.

#16 ·
if this gal is as experienced as she says she is. Im sure she is aware of the above options. I would rather promote a long well earned employee and train them, rather than hiring from the outside. keep it in the family, little risk. it's easier to hire another painter than taking a gamble on a estimator, you don't even know and have to train any ways

#18 ·
I was paying mine a small salary and 10% net profits on jobs. Problem I had was that he wanted more salary and less commision. Which tells me he did not want to hussle for jobs. Found out latter that he was a drunk and I almost lost my biz on some low ball numbers he gave out. So be carefull, its a very important position. I now do all my own est.

#19 ·
Well then, you didn't hire an estimator, you hired a drunk. if you DID hire a real estimator, you'd have had no problem paying him a salary.

What did you hire him for? Minimum wage? lol

Seriously, most estimators are alright, you probably hired a bum...

#22 ·
Just my 2 cents....An estimator would be dealing more with commercial/industrial and working from prints/drawings. For residential he would have to be,in my opinion,a salesman/estimator like myself.This would require a little more personality. When I am to booked up to handle the RFQ's our field supervisor,whom I've known for over 20 years,will pick up the slack.He's paid his regular wage plus an additional 5%.This is what him & I agreed to along time ago and we are both very happy with it.

#23 ·
From what I have seen and studied about the big res repaint companys in my area that have many estimators, is they they get the lead do the estimte and run the job, and take home a percentage, most of these companys use mainly subs for their work force.

Then usually in about three to five years the good ones that make it that long usually leave the company and start their own buisness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.