Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Both. What I found works great is to get software that you can adapt to your specific need. Also I use several addendums for employee's applications. The addendums are for driving history for those that may operate company vehicle's (though it is still wise to do it if they are going POV to job sites), emergency info, an acknowledgement of a probationary period and a non compete. AFTER the offer of employement a medical questionaire for workers compensation. Upon acceptance of the job an acknowledgement of receipt of the company handbook (or rules) a safety orientation checklist (may save your butt with OSHA or attorneys). If you are going to use a written annual (or whatever time period) employee evaluation, I find it is good to give employee's a copy of this during the hiring process so they have a complete understanding as to what your expectations are.

· Registered
551 Posts
I have used a tailored application in the past but have gotten away from it . . . I've found that I can tell more about a person from listening to them leave me one voicemail message than I can by looking at a job application. So I listen to the message and make follow-up calls based on that. As daArch said, nothing beats a face-to-face interview.

· The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have used a tailored application in the past but have gotten away from it . . . I've found that I can tell more about a person from listening to them leave me one voicemail message than I can by looking at a job application. So I listen to the message and make follow-up calls based on that. As daArch said, nothing beats a face-to-face interview.
I agree went with interviews based off of messages and email sent. I had a online ad where people could post info first and then i would call back based on that info.

I did an interview today.

· Painting Contractor
2,566 Posts
- We advertize.
- A whole bunch of people send resumes and e-mails.
- We ask them to go to our website, Careers in painting page.
- Download an application, fill it and e-mail, fax, mail it, drop it off.
- We do not talk to anyone until the application is completed fully.
- We screen the applicants, interview a handful.
- Hire 1 or 2 as necessary....

Start again:

- We advertize.
- A whole bunch of people send resumes and e-mails.
- We ask them to go to our w.......

I think I just hired a great gentleman today!

· The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice site Phil,

Do you guys use C2 paints? I noticed a link to them on your site. What do you think of them if you have used them. I have used them a few times and still I am not completely sold on them. All tho I tried the LoVoc and thought that was better then there regular line.

· Registered
19 Posts
Hey Mak.

We used LoVo last week for the 1st time, it's fine paint but nothing special. Our local store has dropped the regular C2 in favor of all LoVo, says thats the way all paints will be in the next 18 months or so anyway.
Last year, we talked C2 into supplying the paint for one of our exterior projects. It worked out pretty good but there was no noticeable difference between it and a BM product. Recently we used the interior semi, sprayed through a graco 395 with a 313 FF tip and it was gorgeous. Maybe better than the Satin Impervo..
Most of the rest of their paints I don't see as being much better than BM regal range to justify the extra cost.

philip

· Registered
19 Posts
I think the form is a table ( according to the source code) and all input is processed by a cgi-bin script, which e-mails me the results.This way when we get applicants filling out the form everything ends in my inbox in a standardised format thats easy to compare.

We're working on adding a google maps link( bottom right here http://redhillpainting.com/ourwork2.html) so clients can drive by our previous jobs.

· The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Mak.

We used LoVo last week for the 1st time, it's fine paint but nothing special. Our local store has dropped the regular C2 in favor of all LoVo, says thats the way all paints will be in the next 18 months or so anyway.
Last year, we talked C2 into supplying the paint for one of our exterior projects. It worked out pretty good but there was no noticeable difference between it and a BM product. Recently we used the interior semi, sprayed through a graco 395 with a 313 FF tip and it was gorgeous. Maybe better than the Satin Impervo..
Most of the rest of their paints I don't see as being much better than BM regal range to justify the extra cost.

philip
That is how I have felt about it also. All tho my C2 price is not much different than my regal price.

I use Cabots outside so I have not tried there outside stuff.

My insides are a combo of BM, P&L and then was trying out C2 to see if one was good enough to use all the time.

· --SAVE ON PAINTING CO.--
34 Posts
Often I recieve calls for employment and the first thing i request, is for them to forward their resume.
it is not so much about their resume as their ability to follow basic instructions.

Its surprising how often people will just try to argue or convince me, saying theyve been painting for X amount of years but dont have a resume, and for me just to let them on-site.

Not having the ability to fallow the most basic instruction, or having the odacity to argue simple instructions with the very first time being in communication with an employer while your looking for employment. Its a Red-Flag!

When ever i get these call/ requests (im sure many of you get these), i know emediatly that not being able to handle a simple task like this, will correlate to them not being able to follow instructions out in the field.

Its a good way to seed out good workers from bad ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.