Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
472 Posts
I have devised a test for weeding through your potential CL applicants. Forget a resume! Just ask the right questions and be willing to provide INCENTIVE for quality and speed. Just because a guy doesn't want for you to call his last employer doesn't mean he's not qualified... there are a MESS of incompetent painting companies as well as "painters."

Things a painter should know:

1- What is the key ingredient in acrylic paint thinner?

2- What is a church key and what are it's different functions?

3- put these five things in the correct order: Painting- Priming- Puttying- Caulking- Sanding.

4- What range of PSI do Grayco sprayers cover?

5- Rac__ (?) or Rac__ (?)

a-Which color is which?
b- which one has fine finish tips?

6- Which has a wider fan, a 417 or a 515?

7- What color tape should you use for taping interior walls?

a- What color should you use for exterior in direct sun?
b- What's the only tape that really sticks to brick?

8- What is the old school method for the problem of "frog eyeing" paint?

9- Are all painters alcoholics or are roofers and plumbers much much worse?

10- How do you get the fat boy on the job to shut up and start swinging a brush?

I'll be back to answer these later.

:)
I failed your test...... except #9; all the above

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I have devised a test for weeding through your potential CL applicants. Forget a resume! Just ask the right questions and be willing to provide INCENTIVE for quality and speed. Just because a guy doesn't want for you to call his last employer doesn't mean he's not qualified... there are a MESS of incompetent painting companies as well as "painters."

Things a painter should know:

1- What is the key ingredient in acrylic paint thinner?

2- What is a church key and what are it's different functions?

3- put these five things in the correct order: Painting- Priming- Puttying- Caulking- Sanding.

4- What range of PSI do Grayco sprayers cover?

5- Rac__ (?) or Rac__ (?)

a-Which color is which?
b- which one has fine finish tips?

6- Which has a wider fan, a 417 or a 515?

7- What color tape should you use for taping interior walls?

a- What color should you use for exterior in direct sun?
b- What's the only tape that really sticks to brick?

8- What is the old school method for the problem of "frog eyeing" paint?

9- Are all painters alcoholics or are roofers and plumbers much much worse?

10- How do you get the fat boy on the job to shut up and start swinging a brush?

I'll be back to answer these later.

:)
I passed with flying colours....what a smart way to hire!

I'll be on the job site 10AM sharp! I would get there earlier, but I'm taking the bus ever since my DUI.

I usually leave early Friday's as I'm selling crack on weekends to get me car out of the compound.

It's so awesome to know so much about painting...it shows I'm a great employee!

Thanks for hiring me.

Reactions: Woody

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
IS HE LOOKING FOR A PRO?
I think the OP was looking for an affordable helper . That's typically the hiring model for most Mom and Pop painting operations that are limited to part time employment due to the seasonal and competitive nature of the trade.

Most professional painters seeking above board benefits and incomes that match their experience, look for sustainable employment with government and robust private organizations, or establish themselves as painting contractors.

What makes Mom and Pop operations appealing to many painters seeking employment , is the potential to earn monies off the grid, allude authorities, or both. Many of these painters can be found on Craig's List.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys need some advice. My dad would like me to post an ad on craigs list to hire another painter or two because he is booked through july and is getting to the point where he has to hold off other clients until august. He wants the pay to be for this person to be at $10 dollars. I am against this because I think that you would not be able to get qualified applicants beacause most of these guys are just looking for work and are not professional painters. His reasoning is that that there are many people who are looking to work for $10 and he does not want to pay more if they paint like crap. He states that if they are good he will pay them more. But needs to test them out before doing so. Has anyone hired from Craigs list? How would you all deal with this situation?
I been painting for a long time and my work is very amazing and professional but to tell you the truth lots of painters want to get paid by the day and there pay is 130 or 150 some even want 200 per day they won’t work for 10 dollars a day or it’s 10 dollars an hr

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,915 Posts
I been painting for a long time and my work is very amazing and professional but to tell you the truth lots of painters want to get paid by the day and there pay is 130 or 150 some even want 200 per day they won’t work for 10 dollars a day or it’s 10 dollars an hr
ummmm. I got nothin.🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys need some advice. My dad would like me to post an ad on craigs list to hire another painter or two because he is booked through july and is getting to the point where he has to hold off other clients until august. He wants the pay to be for this person to be at $10 dollars. I am against this because I think that you would not be able to get qualified applicants beacause most of these guys are just looking for work and are not professional painters. His reasoning is that that there are many people who are looking to work for $10 and he does not want to pay more if they paint like crap. He states that if they are good he will pay them more. But needs to test them out before doing so. Has anyone hired from Craigs list? How would you all deal with this situation?
Beentheir done that ok with it

21 - 37 of 37 Posts