Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I'm new to paint talk and excited to be here. I've been sitting home here now for about 3 weeks with knee replacement and itching to get back to work which doc says should be fine.

I work in an area where SQ. FT. costs range from 45 - 65 cents sq. ft. 1 coat primer and 1 top coat.

Lot of people looking for work and I have curtailed advertising until surgery was done and see how recovery was doing which is now just fine.

My question is, I've used just mainly classified ads in the past to find work. Find a few jobs. Any ideas of catchy classifieds or other ways to start building the book of business back up.

:whistling2:

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Hi Wing, welcome. What is your advertising budget? We can probably give you a better idea for an effective campaign if we knew that.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Welcome here! Get a nice van/truck/trailer & get some pretty graphics on it. You'd be amazed at the work you get from it just parking on jobsites, driving around, or leaving it over night in the $$$ areas. :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
I dunno JM...we have several nice trucks all graphicked up including phone number and I have never, ever had one person call from that. I do believe its good for name recognition and visibility but for us (and many other guys in our area) there is zero conversion on that one!

Besides, this dude says he has $300 to spend! :blink:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I dunno JM...we have several nice trucks all graphicked up including phone number and I have never, ever had one person call from that. I do believe its good for name recognition and visibility but for us (and many other guys in our area) there is zero conversion on that one!

Besides, this dude says he has $300 to spend! :blink:
:laughing: Yeah $300 might not cover it.
You really never got a call from them though? My ex-boss never advertises. Just leaves his box truck parked on the street of jobsites the whole job or in a nice area that has on street parking over night. He gets slammed with calls & keeps 5-6 guys busy 8-10 months a year. Even Tim gets calls from his van sign & it's wee little.

·
4,698 Posts
Even Tim gets calls from his van sign & it's wee little.
"Even Tim gets calls"....whats up with that? Does that surprise you?

I do get many calls from my "wee little" signs" but, it's all about the reputation my little brother.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
"Even Tim gets calls"....whats up with that? Does that surprise you?

I do get many calls from my "wee little" signs" but, it's all about the reputation my little brother.
HAHA I didn't mean it like that. I ment it as you don't have no huge graphics or nothing, just a simple logo on your van, and it works for you. Meaning nice graphics for somebody else should work too. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not sure if you have one or not, but a website with some information about yourself, your experience, and your business always helps. Also would recommend posting some pictures of previous jobs with descriptions of exactly what work you did. Also, you can get your business name, address, and phone number posted in the yellow pages online, especially yellowpages.com and msn.com. If you have a website, you can hire someone to perform some search engine optimization work on it to get you to the top of the search engines for HOs looking for painters in your areas. Finally, there are websites out there that allow you to print business cards for free. You can stick these up around town, in your paint store, hardware store, restaurants etc. That should be free to do!

·
Registered
26 Posts
one of the best ways to get leads is to have a web presence. i dont even have my site built, it it blank(no time) but i have had my site for a few years for emails and still with that alone i get 2-3 calls a month . that is far better than when i placed an ad in the local newspaper at a few hundred.

i live in a city of 30000 and even with the lack of a professional site i google

painter orillia

im the only one that comes up

web domains and hosting are very inexpensive and i bellieve there is another section on painttalk that gives good advice to that

·
Master Finisher
2 Posts
Join a rotary club or other orginaztion. The more people that know your a painter the more that can refer you to others. Plus you get to help other in the process. I do suggest that it some thing you can be passionate about as well in my experince people like to be aound like minded people. Good luck and heal well

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts
Join a rotary club or other orginaztion. The more people that know your a painter the more that can refer you to others. Plus you get to help other in the process. I do suggest that it some thing you can be passionate about as well in my experince people like to be aound like minded people. Good luck and heal well
Frank - check the original post date... 2008. Hope he's still not sitting around.

Reactions: HQP2005
1 - 17 of 17 Posts