Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Finishing/carpentry
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’m Tony, long time lurker first time poster. Have used this site pretty exclusively for info about various things over the years, but thought I’d jump on to get a little deeper on some issues if needed. I’m pretty good with the search button, but forgive me if miss a thread or two. I work mostly in finishing aspect of painting, not a ton of interior/exterior so my questions/comments will be mostly related to things regarding cabinets, millwork/trim, troubleshooting products/equipment, and I’m sure just general advice on my current way of work.. some of my main focuses have been switching from solvent to WB for as much as possible. My common products are scuffx, Len mar wb undercoater, S-W KA undercoater, vinyl sealers, a variety of wb “lacquers” from GF, target, eco steps, some newer wb coatings from renner, enviorlak, and more recently PPG breakthrough v50.
Also, as far as etiquette or convince for others, questions concerning, let’s say PPG breakthrough, should I start a new thread on something that I had questions about or post on an older thread where my concern would have been? Some are years old or tend to stray off topic. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,157 Posts
Welcome Tony. Nice to have another cabinet finisher here. Never ending conversations in that department.
There seems to be a beef with dragging up old threads as of late , although there is a lot of good info in some of them.
By all means if you haven't found what your looking for, fire away a new one!

·
Super Moderator
6,415 Posts
I've honestly never understood why people get so wound up over someone bringing an old thread back to life. At the end of the day what's the actual difference? Certainly nothing against the forum rules about it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've honestly never understood why people get so wound up over someone bringing an old thread back to life. At the end of the day what's the actual difference? Certainly nothing against the forum rules about it.
The only ones that bother me are when someone had a reasonably specific question about a problem they were having or about how to handle some specific job / job aspects, and someone comes in years later to answer. While there can be reasons to revive such a thing (like "hey, I'm having this exact issue right now"), it's mostly people not paying attention.

Other than that, lots of thread here on timeless kinds of issues. I think the recent thing was just because it started happening a lot after the platform changed. I don't know if this is still the case, but on the old platform if you dug out an old thread you were notified of its age and asked if you were sure you wanted to revive it.

·
Administrator
19,666 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum Tony.

The Recommended Reading function now seems to be bringing up stuff specific to a thread. I consider them interesting if they may bring up options or solutions from the past to a current question. I imagine it will really help if a new post has been started about a well hashed over subject (like best brush or washing roller covers versus tossing them) and past threads will (should) show up rather than someone having to go locate them and supplying a link to them.

I agree with Joe about getting a bit beaked off about a new answer being given in a long dead thread - sometimes to a member who has been long gone. But usually those replies are from new members unaware of the dates the OPs were from.

IMO, anyone having a question would be much better off starting a new thread rather than putting a tag at the end of an older one - it is much more likely to get seen and replied to when new.

Reactions: Joe67

·
Registered
Finishing/carpentry
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally understand, I get a crack up when a year old troubleshooting thread gets a new response with a possible solution when it’s pretty clear the OP probably went about his life by then.. glad to be a member though, thanks for the welcome wishes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts