Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, jumping over here from contractor talk to get some serious feedback. In my real life I’m a Super for a large GC, mostly high rise work, and am still a GC myself from a previous life.

So questions come from the steps needed to get a high quality finish. I’m Painting the interior cheap paneling in a houseboat (think floating mobile home). It’s not feasible to tear out the paneling or cabinetry at this time.

It’s currently paper faced 1/8” smooth wood paneling, cabinetry is similar paper faced wood but much thicker. Standard paneling corner molding, all nail heads countersunk but not filled.

My question is about prepping, priming, and eventual Painting. Color would be a white and grey scheme. Would you fill all nail holes, and with what? Keep in mind this is a regular self powered boat, it moves and shifts. Would you caulk the joints at all trims to paneling, and with what? What primer would you think? Spray or roll/ brush? And any suggestions for the prep I am not addressing. Scuff the walls and trim? Tsp wash down I would suspect.

Just looking for pointers on this specific type of product. Not my normal. We’re usually all level 5 gyp in my world.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I've done a houseboat. Interior, I just did it like a house. All MDF got primed with BIN, and I used I used Proclassic on everything. I sprayed it all.

Dont use TSP. A lot of paints have trouble sticking to it if it isnt rinsed super good.

I've got pictures of it on my profile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks awesome! Did you make the to fill all holes and caulk in all the trim to paneling? That’s where I’m most curious. I get afraid of those area getting compromised from the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,766 Posts
Let me double check with my painters tomorrow, i have a all woman crew and they are awesome. We painted this rv 2 years ago and still look great

BTW .... love the houseboat that's my next move

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
i've done a houseboat. Interior, i just did it like a house. All mdf got primed with bin, and i used i used proclassic on everything. I sprayed it all.

Dont use tsp. A lot of paints have trouble sticking to it if it isnt rinsed super good.

I've got pictures of it on my profile.
no tsp! Ever!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did the same as woodco on a travel trailer in 2010. Had paper over mdf on everything. Sprayed BIN and then proclassic. Got a look at this peice lastweek and it still looks good. Could use a little touching up on heavily used surfaces but thats about it. Even sprayed the glass in a cabinet in the same manner still adhered and looking good. I used dawn on the initial clean up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts