Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
At 51, I don't consider myself an old timer. Maybe it's because I consider myself a perpetual student. Especially considering how many painters are out there, young and old, who've been there and done that.

Frankly, I think that being naive keeps me young.
:eek: I thought you were in your early 30's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry for the rant.
Shoveling snow always makes me feel old and grumpy.
Mods are welcome to delete that, w/o any hard feelings from me.

That's OK, I thought it was kinda' funny--especially the "young guys standing on the lawn"........:icon_lol:

Besides, it's more entertaining when you harass the young guys in their own backyard :)

Casey

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ya know, it warn't that long ago (in Archibald years) that the established painters insisted on brushing out rooms. I can still hear them, "It works the paint into the surface - ya get better adhesion". Seriously that was only back in the early 70's.

Now, that's what my contemporaries say about rollers vs blow and go.

Unfortunately, as I noted recently, "old school" seems to mean no RRP adherence, no waterborne coatings, no internet, no keeping up with what is being developed and learned. "Old school" is becoming to mean "out of touch"
If you really want to stir the pot,,,, let an old guy suggest a new method,,

Gets em highly irregular,, Its kinda like a dawg looking at a new pan,,,"I don't know if I want eat of that or not!"

Reactions: Steve Richards

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I think we may have about a half dozen of the fairer sex here. One of them is not too far from me and has shown some nice pics of her work on the forum. RCP, (Chris), besides being a Mod, is our resident guru on all things computer related....and one heckuva nice person to boot. Go to the intros and faces to names and you'll see some of the others.

BTW - I'd seriously consider NEPS is probably yanking your chain about his age.....

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
Well, this old man has got to get to work. Started installing prefinished hardwood floors yesterday and got to some floor vents and realized I didn't have the wooden grills. (I showed me,,,) Not in stock at the retailer so the manufacturer did a next day FedEx - got here at 7:30pm. Go figure.

After spending the day with a 13 week old Weimaraner pup I need the "down time". LOL

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think we may have about a half dozen of the fairer sex here. One of them is not too far from me and has shown some nice pics of her work on the forum. RCP, (Chris), besides being a Mod, is our resident guru on all things computer related....and one heckuva nice person to boot. Go to the intros and faces to names and you'll see some of the others.

BTW - I'd seriously consider NEPS is probably yanking your chain about his age.....
Went through the faces/names..that'll help.
I may post a picture of my dog sometime (he's better lookin' than me).

I've met RCP. She seems nice. Didn't know she was a computer-type. I'll try to remember that.

Neps is a chain-yanker. *making a note of it*

Thanks for taking the time, Wolfman... I hope you're not gonna work all night.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
HA

So Neps is youngest and daArch is the oldest here?
The only females are RCP and RC...and the new 34 year old (assuming she ever posts here again)?
I'm not so sure I am the oldest fart here. I'm a young 61. I have a feeling there are others older but are just willing to let me be the receptacle for all the "respect" we elders so naturally attract :whistling2:.

And if NEPS is 19, well, I'm a stud muffin whose prowess as a babe magnet has every rock star and NHL quarterback bowing in respect :notworthy:

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
When I turned 45, I went through a period of depression..maybe a month's worth.
I was pretty sure I wouldn't see 90, so suddenly realized I was closer to the end than the beginning.
Why that didn't really occur to me before 45, I have no idea.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I am about to turn 38 which I think I will stay forever.
38 is a tough age to be, your kids are still young enough to be a constant aggravation. Time you bust 50 your kids, kids are driving them SO crazy, they forget about aggravating you.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
So there I am at the job this morning loading up some tools and equipment I was done with and two squads come screeching in the driveway.:eek: Told me to step away from the truck and keep my hands open and where they could see them. Took about 10 minutes of explaining and a tour through the house and showing them the contract. Did I mention it was 3:20 am?:whistling2: The good side was that I made up for the lost time waiting for the floor grills most of the day yesterday. so I'm back on schedule.:thumbsup:

Think I'll keep the late nite work to a minimum from now on.....

·
Registered
971 Posts
So there I am at the job this morning loading up some tools and equipment I was done with and two squads come screeching in the driveway.:eek: Told me to step away from the truck and keep my hands open and where they could see them. Took about 10 minutes of explaining and a tour through the house and showing them the contract. Did I mention it was 3:20 am?:whistling2: The good side was that I made up for the lost time waiting for the floor grills most of the day yesterday. so I'm back on schedule.:thumbsup:

Think I'll keep the late nite work to a minimum from now on.....
That takes me back Wolf,, At one time (when I could stay awake at night) we took to hanging rock at night in the summertime. A neighbor (community watch) fired a shotgun in the air and held us at gounpoint till the cops got there.

Had a few of thoses encounters, but my favorite one is when we were hanging the upstairs on a two story, a cop pulls up in the drive and bleeps his siren to get our attention. We all stuck our heads out the window and the cop says, "who's van is this". I says, "mine". He says, "You know the tags expired?" My bro-in-law says "where in the hel* are we gonna get a tag at 10:00" Cop says, "I see your point, have a nice night!"

That proves that God looks after drunks and fools !!!!

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I was painting the interior of a bank (during regular hours), moving a desk set off a silent alarm.
I don't remember how many police cars showed up, but there was a bunch.

I wasn't arrested, but one cop called me a hack.

j/k heh

21 - 40 of 42 Posts