Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
OP:
I can see it being good and bad.
Just wondering how can it be bad? thought the general idea of this forum was to share ideas and talk shop? 100 posts is not really that much. If you enjoy talking about what you do for a living then it won't take that long to get to 100 posts.

I think its a pretty good idea.

Pat

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Just wondering how can it be bad? thought the general idea of this forum was to share ideas and talk shop? 100 posts is not really that much. If you enjoy talking about what you do for a living then it won't take that long to get to 100 posts.

Pat
Pat, not saying 100 is right or wrong, but I do ask that we all put ourselves in a position of being restricted to 100 posts before we can link our business webpage.

Yah yah yah, I have spent 61 years honing my fine sense of cynicism, but I am still rooted in having a modicum of faith in my fellow humans. We need to weigh the benefits of restricting a few against allowing the many to legitimately promote their business

I am undecided as to what is best, but I will be more than willing to entertain all sides of the argument

·
17,818 Posts

Pat
Just initial restrictions can be a turn off to new members, of course it depends on how restrictive we are talking here. Signature links?

100 posts can be a long time for some people, we have members here that have been here for a couple years with less than that. Sure to regular posters and fiends like me a 100 is nothing but if you just pop in every now and again it can take a long time for a 100.

I am just not sold on if it is a good thing. A lot of spam gets taken care of by the mods and what is left is kind of a gray area. You are talking about painters that come here for SEO and link and add website signatures. Some of them have the possibility of being regulars but if the initial needs are denied then we may never know. I am an advocate of new members to keep it fresh.

This is Nathan's decision not mine and I can go either way with it. I just see some positives and negatives from the idea.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
This is Nathan's decision not mine and I can go either way with it. I just see some positives and negatives from the idea.

I agree, pros and cons.

And Nathan has always been receptive to hearing out the arguments for either side of a policy

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Maybe 25-50 post and 3 months of membership.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Pat, not saying 100 is right or wrong, but I do ask that we all put ourselves in a position of being restricted to 100 posts before we can link our business webpage.
Would not bother me a bit. If I wanted to give people a idea on who I am then I would just list my stuff in my intro. Then it would be off to reading, learning, helping or just bs'ng. Before you know it you're at 100 posts.

I hear what your saying though. Glad it's your guys call.

Pat

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Seems to me a few self important elites got nothing better to do than to pass rules that make them feel better about issues that A) don't have an adverse effect to most and B) make they themselves even more elite because they are not subject to those rules they propose.

It like reverse cabin fever. "Let's have a special section" or last years discussions on having a series of questions and requirments to determine who's really a pro.

The mods have a job to do and that job is to regulate, ban, administer and/or enforce the rules. If you don't like it, leave, if they don't like it quit.

Just don't turn Paint Talk into a haven for the incredibly snotty elite.

(it would lose it's flavor and appeal)

I can't believe there is whinning over signature lines, don't you have something better and more mature to complain about?

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes you do. :yes:

I am talking about the constant wave of new members with one or two posts coming here to promote their site or blog.

Not sig lines.

Please pay attention.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I didnt see this one turning into a divisive topic.

No kidding.

Some would argue what time the sun rises and sets.

This is just about a little control for the mods to regulate the spammers. This site is suppose to be about contributions, not getting SEO.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I am talking about the constant wave of new members with one or two posts coming here to promote their site or blog.

Not sig lines.
Let them.

Their thread will fall like a stone into internet forum obscurty. My guess is that the view count attatched to that stone will be low.

As if PT is being infiltrated by the enemy and we must gather in the war room to strategize in order to better shore up our defenses...

lol.

I'm with verman , it's only teh netz...

21 - 40 of 52 Posts