Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
We are currently doing our largest job ever . It is an old air force base that has been mothballed for a few years . Our province is hosting Canada's finest young athletes for 2 weeks in August in an event called the Canada Games from which our next Olympic hopefuls are chosen in various events .

Our part of the restoration project includes redoing a lot of living quarters that we are just winding up before we start painting the interior of the arena...all oil paint...yuck ! After that is completed we will move on into the 18,000 sq ft gym which is being converted into a cafeteria . The outside of that same gym area has a shed like structure all around it with the dimensions being approximately 250 feet long by about 30 feet wide multiplied by 4.

In a lot of these buildings the old paint is literally hanging from the ceilings because of the fact that no heat has been on in a long time . I found out today that the gym walls...30 feet high and covered with conduit and old metal supports will be done in 6 colors for the walls !!! There will be squares measuring about 200sqft painted one of the 6 different colors and all interlocking throughout the whole gym .

Initially we were told by the general contractor it was being painted all one color . He got quite a jolt when I told him how much higher the cost would be with the new color scheme . What is even worse is that they want it done with only 2 coats and it is oil paint now and they want latex and some of the colors are purple , red , orange , yellow and they are mostly of the brighter end of the spectrum which means that coverage will probably be an issue on some some of them .

Every day on this job seems to bring about a new challenge . The only smart thing that we did was that we took the job on on an hourly basis . Going into this job I had a feeling that the schedule would be very tight and that there were too many things that could go wrong versus going right...and I was right and instead of being bound by a contract...hourly was the way to go on this baby !

As a rule I would prefer to spend no longer than a month on a job because it starts to get monotonous after awhile and the crew gets complacent and irritable as well as the boss :D unless he is making good money !

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Playedout- that sounds quite interesting. I also don't like getting locked in to one BIG job for too long as it is difficult to turn down new customers who will go elsewhere if you are booked for 3-4 months in advance. Have you got any pics of the place? It would be great to see some.... Good luck with the rainbow.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Starting a repaint Monday on a church that is over 40k sq ft. So I'm booked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the biggest job I’ve done and we have done a decent amount of big jobs that are a couple hundred gallons but at the moment we are doing a job that is 350 gallons of roof coating and 50 gallons of paint on exterior walls which would be more if they hadn’t replaced some of the metal, the roof is 17,000 sq ft. Done to many entire houses to remember but I’ve been doing this for 6 years now and I’m 23.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts