Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How close do you get your tools, ladders, hands, etc to above ground commercial electrical lines? Do you usually have the power company come and put an insulation guard on them? Wear lineman gloves or anything else?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The conductor's in the picture are insulated and safe to work around but you still need to be careful. The bare conductor on a power pole, the top one is hot, the bottom one is the neutral and is safe to touch, can arc quite away's when conditions are right. Single phase 7200 volts,phase to phase 14,000 on most residential system. Enough to knock your dick in the dirt if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
when you see the spark, you are too close.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Osha has the safe working clearances for overhead lines.

Looks like a 3 phase service there with three hot conductors coming over on the aerial and then bugged on to a parallel run set of service conductors to the first point of disconnect.

I wouldn't work around any hot wires with an aluminum ladder. Fiberglass ladder only that's rated to be non conductive. While not touching anythjng grounded like the metal siding with your body, and standing on the fiber glass ladder, you could theoretically grab a bare hot conductor and have nothing happen.

Insulation degrades over time when exposed to weather and sun so always be careful as commercial services are probably coming in over 1000v from the street than being stepped down.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
The conductor's in the picture are insulated and safe to work around but you still need to be careful. The bare conductor on a power pole, the top one is hot, the bottom one is the neutral and is safe to touch, can arc quite away's when conditions are right. Single phase 7200 volts,phase to phase 14,000 on most residential system. Enough to knock your dick in the dirt if you aren't careful.
Soooo...does that mean I'm ok to touch whatever I want then? I dont have a dick to worry about ...just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually just get the electric company to shut down the whole building for a couple hours and do my work then call them to come turn it back on .
Here it’s a free charge for each address every couple years .

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Oh really, so the customers don't mind being without lights, tv, and possibly phone service? You have a very forgiving clientele!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts