Do you have a link to the pattern?

You talk of wide area of the stripe.

·
Time Traveler
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Do you have a link to the pattern?

You talk of wide area of the stripe.
I forgot to take a picture of the material... duh.

It's like this, you've seen it. Thibault

Attachments

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
OH BOY.

That can SOOO easily save your ass, or bite it. I hope you have the time to engineer the best option. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Underdog

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Personally, I would talk them out of papering the side walls completely and match the front and back. I mean, stripes for that!!:eek:

·
Time Traveler
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OH BOY.

That can SOOO easily save your ass, or bite it. I hope you have the time to engineer the best option. :thumbsup:
Personally, I would talk them out of papering the side walls completely and match the front and back. I mean, stripes for that!!:eek:
Well I'm meeting her at 9:00, we'll see.

:cowboy:

Reactions: daArch

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts

There is no easy or good solution for this one. Many times with an arched passageway, I will wrap onto just the VERTICAL section of that passageway, terminating the paper where the curve of the arch starts. Unfortunately, with what UD is facing, that line will be tough to define.

If it is left blank, it will look inconsistent, unless they paint the back wall.

If the continue the pattern vertically UP the wall, because of the uneven spacing of the stripes. there will be an uneven/unmatched transition at the peak.

This one sucks big time.

·
Time Traveler
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well we compromised for today. The decorator and home owner were going to be out of pocket for the rest of the day so I installed the face and will meet with them tomorrow. I had the rest of the room to hang anyway so I was able to keep busy.
This way I can show them more easily how many corners get affected and why.
Here's the progress so far. I had to stitch two photos together so the join looks a little odd. The peak in the crown molding on the left isn't really there.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Well we compromised for today. The decorator and home owner were going to be out of pocket for the rest of the day so I installed the face and will meet with them tomorrow. I had the rest of the room to hang anyway so I was able to keep busy.
This way I can show them more easily how many corners get affected and why.
Here's the progress so far. I had to stitch two photos together so the join looks a little odd. The peak in the crown molding on the left isn't really there.

Better them than you, right?

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
With your photo editing skills, you might be able to show them how different options will look.

This will definitely be a matter of personal preference. As I tell many folks, "no matter what you choose, it's gonna look great . . . from my house"

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have an idea that may sound nuts. If the back wall has paper hung to line up with the face wall and the sides get hung too, could you then paint the inside of the arch areas the same color as the back ground of the paper. Then cut out stripes and paste on just the stripes to line up from the face wall to the back wall.
Just a thought.

·
Time Traveler
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have an idea that may sound nuts. If the back wall has paper hung to line up with the face wall and the sides get hung too, could you then paint the inside of the arch areas the same color as the back ground of the paper. Then cut out stripes and paste on just the stripes to line up from the face wall to the back wall.
Just a thought.
Ha, Knowing them they might just be innovative enough to go for something like that. I won't bring it up though, but only because I don't want to do it. It's the difference between finishing it tomorrow and finishing it who knows when.

Creative solution though. That's a pretty good idea for those curved ceilings. Interesting.

Reactions: Ohio Painter

·
repaintpro
971 Posts
If I were starting right now I would do it your way. My way is over.
With me it's just habit. I'm on cruise control until I retire from this. I just get frustrated because all I hang anymore are difficult installations and exotic materials. I'm trying to transition into selling.

So sad because us young fellas still need all the help and advice we can get!

Hope your install goes well!

·
Time Traveler
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Haven't the foggiest. I simply needed to say your sig lines are incredible.
Thanks, plus you reminded me, they went with lining them up to the back wall...

Attachments

Reactions: PRC

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Did you do the arches?
He's never met me :whistling2:

It looks like the stripes run vertical up the sides to the peak, can't tell how they lined up.

But it looks like the only possible solution. Good job UD :thumbup:

·
Time Traveler
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Did you do the arches?
He's never met me :whistling2:

It looks like the stripes run vertical up the sides to the peak, can't tell how they lined up.

But it looks like the only possible solution. Good job UD :thumbup:
Lol... Yeah but I didn't get a pic to the side for some reason. You can kinda tell in this self portrait.

Very crooked floor, yes. it was a second floor in a house in a historic district in SA.

Attachments

Reactions: Repaintpro

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
WOW,

You know you're in Texas when such unrelated decorative choices are made.

I mean, that's just mishegas

·
Time Traveler
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I've never met Miss Hegas so I had to look her up, but in Texas we think that antiques go with anything, kind of like white ceilings or tortillas.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts