Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several threads on adding profit and overhead into a bid. I have been doing this but would like to hear different ways of doing this! What methods do you guys use to brake down your monthly, yearly or quarterly overhead cost into each bid?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Add all your overhead up for the year - This includes everything you will spend for the year to run your business. Also you should add some budgets to this for stuff that will come up unexpectedly such as repairs for equipment.

Lets say it's $20,000 for example. Now try to come up with the amount of hours you hope or plan to work. The default is 2000hrs - 5 days a week for 50 weeks at 8hrs a day.

Maybe you are new so lets say the hours you might work this year will be close to 1200.

Just divide $20,000.00 by 1200hrs and you will get $16.67 per hour. If you are a one man show then add that to your hourly rate. If you have two guys then divide it in half $8.33 per man.

As you move through the year you might get a better idea on the total hours being worked for the year and you can make adjustments as needed.

Hoped this helped a bit

Pat

·
Paintist
719 Posts
There are various ways to do it. I keep note on weekly, monthly, and yearly expenditures. I know how much I spend a year on fixed and variable spending. Take that total amount and divide it among your jobs. Depending on how many jobs you expect over the next year will give you your OH per job. If I expect a job to be a day, week, or month long I can tell you what my OH is. Now, if your work isn't steady then you need some profit to cover your expenses for that down period. OH is one of the differences between two professional contractors.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
first identify overhead.

wages (including yours)
taxes
insurance
communications
immediate job related supplies (paint caulk, etc)
long term supplies (drops, ladders, sprayers, etc)
vehicle
rent
etc etc etc

next keep an accurate bookkeeping every time you spend a penny.

things like vehicle expenses can be broken down per mile or per day
Insurance - per day
wages and paint - per job
etc etc

secret is accurate expense tracking and accurate division.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts