Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pricing out the painting of this flagpole. I'm going back and forth on getting a 40' or play it safe and get a 60' lift. Just thought I'd ask my PT buddies for a second opinion. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you'll bend it with a ladder. How high is it?
Going to rent a lift to paint it, but I'm wavering as to the exact height of the pole. I think a 40' will get it, but wanted to get some other opinions to make me more confident in my decision....

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Man, thats one of those things....I'm sure the customer will love the fact that they have to pay for a lift. Personally, I would use a mini roller on the end of a fifteen foot extension pole, and use a twelve foot step ladder. If it needs some scraping, same thing, duct tape a scraper to the extension pole. I know it sounds hokey, but.......

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On second thought, that thing is pretty damn high. If they will pay for the lift, then go for the sixty. I think the forty would juuuust make it.
A lift is the only way to go on that puppy, as it needs a fair amount of prep, prime and two coats. I'm guessing its 40' high, and if its a tad higher I can use the extension pole method from the basket.

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
I do know a method using 2 tall ladders that will work that is not osha approved but I have witnessed on a smaller scale....

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A 40 will do it easy, you'll be almost to the top of the roof before you even start extending.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. It's a bank that we do the maintenance painting for, and I was guessing 25' to the gutter. If I'm correct on that, a 40' should be good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hoist a lightweight up with a bosun's chair. That's how I used to paint wooden sail boat masts many years ago. However, I don't think the rigging on that pole would support anybody more than 50 lbs.

·
17,818 Posts
Saw somebody viewing the thread in the who is online page.

You were right that thing needed more prep than it looked like in the op.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts