Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded question, I know, and fully understand there'll be an infinite number of variables which will ultimately be the determining factor/s, but on average. I'm referring to exterior repaints, not stains.

Just curious how much repeat business you get from returning clients for the same exterior painting project, and how long until you're called back to do it again. I've only owned this company since 1998, but this year in particular I've had 3 times as many calls from returning clients who want their exterior done again as I've had any other year. The soonest was 12 years, but he had chosen a very dark blue and was fully aware the South & West sides would eventually fade at a noticeably different rate than the North & East sides. The longest was 18 years, and other than the bottom course of some siding boards which had been at least partially buried in soil for years and were rotten, that home still looked good, (although the wood had shrunk a lot and butt joints needed some love). The majority were right at 15 years though.

Just returned from an exterior I did in 2007. Never even met the lady. She got my info while she was out of state and my crew was painting the house 2 doors down, and we had already painted the house kitty corner to hers the year prior. I ended up having it done by the time she returned, so we never physically met until today. Exterior body was done in Super Satin & trim in Duration Satin, and that's exactly what I'll be doing this time around. I can include more pics, but the first 2 pics is of the front & the 3rd is the right side. Left & back are obscured by bushes & trees, so I wasn't able to get any comprehensive shots, (but I wasn't taking them for show & tell at the time either, lol). Sorry in advance that they aren't fancy photos, but making this post was an afterthought, so I was only taking pics at the time for reference. Absolutely no editing has been done, and I'm probably one of the worst photographers on this forum, so you won't find these in any magazine, but it should still be fairly clear even if you zoom in to find my sins.

Not too bad for 15 years though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I'm no SW fanboy, it's just what I used at the time, and if it ain't broke...
Plenty of other great paints would've produced as good or better results. Exterior repaints are one of the few situations in which SW has monopolized the majority of my work, but I couldn't say the same for interior walls, ceilings, trims nor cabs.

195 Posts
BTW, I'm no SW fanboy, it's just what I used at the time, and if it ain't broke...
Plenty of other great paints would've produced as good or better results. Exterior repaints are one of the few situations in which SW has monopolized the majority of my work, but I couldn't say the same for interior walls, ceilings, trims nor cabs.
BIG BS,
I have seen you wearing SW T-shirt and carrying SW pink tool box.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes, this is a very "iffy" question and extremely wide broad.
No way to start a serious detailed conversation based on those aspects, unless it's a 'bait' thread just to generate responses.
It's like asking.. "My car broke down, how do I fix it".
Thanks for nothin Don!

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No way to start a serious detailed conversation based on those aspects, unless it's a 'bait' thread just to generate responses.
I'd be perfectly happy if you kept that sentiment and kept the rest of your snide comments to yourself. I don't need to create bait threads to generate responses. It's a topic for discussion which hasn't been done to death here...the lifespan of exterior paint jobs. If it doesn't interest you, move on.

195 Posts
Thanks for nothin Don!
You're Very Extremely Welcome.
Old paint formula recipe applies,.."You put nothing into the paint gallon can,... you will get nothing back when the painter dips his brush into it."
Simple as that.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work Stelzer. I've had some side jobs that date back 15 or so years but have only been official since 2015, so I've yet to have a repeat full repaint. Always fun driving by houses I did my first year though and seeing that they still look great. Haven't had a chance to snap any pictures though.
Thanks man. In all fairness to the topic though, I don't get to hear from people who didn't think their paint job lasted as long as it should have so they never called me back when it was time to get it done again. I'm in no way claiming all my paint jobs last this long, but I do get to see lots of homes I've done over the years, especially since many of my Christmas Light customers were first my painting customers.

I get asked how long the paint job will last a lot. I don't make promises, but I do give them my initial referral list, which is 3 pages in the smallest legible font, as well as an updated referral list of about 100 exteriors where I highlight homes I've done at least 12 years ago, with client's phone # and address, (after getting permission, of course).

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
I don't do many exteriors anymore but when living in the northeast we did tons of aluminum houses using emulsabond and Moore gard/glo. My Dad would often point out houses we did 20 years prior that still looked good. T111 houses done with SW woodscapes solid stain tended to last around 10 years depending on exposure and condition of the siding when we did it.

We did a barn red hardy plank house here five years ago with aura that looks like we just did it yesterday. The house was only four years old when we painted it and the original paint (sw a100) was horribly faded. To be fair this house bakes in full sun all day everyday. We did it in the winter and the paint was still smoking when I was applying on one gable end that would never seem to go in the shade.

Next month I'm going back to do a big front porch railings and columns we did four years ago with SW Resilience. This time around I'm using SW Rain Refresh. For as much as I distrust paint company marketing claims Rain Refresh is pretty remarkable. I've used it on all my exterior trim and it definitely lives up to the marketing claims. Just a small example but my mailbox post is white and in a bed of black mulch. The bottom would always be caked in dirt which I thought would always be unavoidable. Two years ago I redid it with rain refresh and I haven't seen any dirt kicked up on it since.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't do many exteriors anymore but when living in the northeast we did tons of aluminum houses using emulsabond and Moore gard/glo. My Dad would often point out houses we did 20 years prior that still looked good. T111 houses done with SW woodscapes solid stain tended to last around 10 years depending on exposure and condition of the siding when we did it.

We did a barn red hardy plank house here five years ago with aura that looks like we just did it yesterday. The house was only four years old when we painted it and the original paint (sw a100) was horribly faded. To be fair this house bakes in full sun all day everyday. We did it in the winter and the paint was still smoking when I was applying on one gable end that would never seem to go in the shade.

Next month I'm going back to do a big front porch railings and columns we did four years with SW Resilience. This time around I'm using SW Rain Refresh. For as much as I distrust paint company marketing claims Rain Refresh is pretty remarkable. I've used it on all my exterior trim and it definitely lives up to the marketing claims. Just a small example but my mailbox post it white and in a bed of black mulch. The bottom would always be caked in dirt which I thought would always be unavoidable. Two years ago I redid it with rain refresh and I haven't seen any dirt kicked up on it since.
You shouldn't be up this late, but thanks for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,253 Posts
I find the sun beaten side takes the most abuse. A house I use as an example ! did probably 10 years ago was hardi-plank siding. I did it all with Dulux Diamond Exterior Matt. Most of it is still fine, but very faded on the sunny sides especially. They get me to come back and paint 1 side every other year.. There's always a few problem area's that could just be "touched up" but ya 7-10 years if done properly I say.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I find the sun beaten side takes the most abuse. A house I use as an example ! did probably 10 years ago was hardi-plank siding. I did it all with Dulux Diamond Exterior Matt. Most of it is still fine, but very faded on the sunny sides especially. They get me to come back and paint 1 side every other year.. There's always a few problem area's that could just be "touched up" but ya 7-10 years if done properly I say.
I think 10 yrs max before it should be at least seriously considered to repaint for sure, but much earlier for darker colors. The house pictured above I'm sure is an exception, and I have no disillusions about most of my paint jobs looking like that 15 yrs later. That's why I felt compelled to create this post. Was blown away when I walked up to the house yesterday.

It's worn the best of any repaint I've done 15 yrs later. I'm sure most of my jobs have paint chipping & flaking off shortly after I deposit the final check.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I did one this year that was 13 years ago and was in remarkably good shape. I tell people every 6-8 years is the expected life even when using premium paints. The oklahoma sun is brutal and any remotely dark color will fade. I started in 2009 so I have been starting to do houses that I did previously. I have a couple customers that want it done every 5 years and just put them on the schedule they say. They are very maintenance oriented people and it seems to work out well. Just wash and paint those basically no other prep is needed.

Where are you located at Stelzer. I would be interested to know what areas of the country people are from and how long the jobs last. I imagine new vs repaint matters too. Sometimes the wood is at a point where it may not need to be replaced yet but I'm not sure it holds paint well either.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did one this year that was 13 years ago and was in remarkably good shape. I tell people every 6-8 years is the expected life even when using premium paints. The oklahoma sun is brutal and any remotely dark color will fade. I started in 2009 so I have been starting to do houses that I did previously. I have a couple customers that want it done every 5 years and just put them on the schedule they say. They are very maintenance oriented people and it seems to work out well. Just wash and paint those basically no other prep is needed.

Where are you located at Stelzer. I would be interested to know what areas of the country people are from and how long the jobs last. I imagine new vs repaint matters too. Sometimes the wood is at a point where it may not need to be replaced yet but I'm not sure it holds paint well either.
I'm in Portland, Oregon, and the house in the pic above is in Beaverton, Oregon. The siding and paint were in great shape when we initially painted it 15 years ago, so all we did is kept it looking sharp. I'm sure that has a ton to do with how good it looks still.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Back in the day when Duration was considered a super hero paint, i had used alot of it. Over the years, the color retention is horrible, although the adhesion is still excellent. The colors are now unrecognizeable from the original though. Yet are basically a primed surface at this point.
I like Aura for porches or trim, although mostly use Regal for the limited exterior work i take these days.

·
54pontiac
46 Posts
I think it’s a fair question for clients to ask how long a paint job will last. Of course, it’s always a guess, but I would say that with proper prep and quality paint, in Georgia 12 to 18 years. That said, the pressure wash and spray jobs I’ve seen peel in 1 to 3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts