Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Canada I pay $5.40 Canadian which is about $4.20 American.

This is for the 1 inch green.

SW won't go lower here unless I buy 1000 rolls they will lower it to $5 Canadian. Don't really wanna carry that much frog tape since will probably take me few years to use and adhesion will probably get less and less sticky.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is. They are rejects and seconds, but most of them are fine- have been buying them for years.

that’s the last time I try to help you, until your sh*tty attitude improves.
Are you stable? That is not frog tape. Frog tape is a brand name made by shurtech. Just because a tape is green doesn't mean that it's frog tape.

That tape is garbage that you linked. Wouldn't even recommend a beginner to use it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Being a very low roller at SW my pricing was pretty much the normal retail of $7ish.

Also I'd probably trust the "factory seconds" Frog Tape, on ebay there's a lot of factory second Woosters and Purdy brushes around.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Some people are just ornery all around, I guess. I can't imagine living a life where my hobby is to arrogantly argue with people giving out free help/info/advice on the internet. (I'll let people decide for themselves who I'm referencing rather than name names as it isn't worth the trouble to argue).

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,699 Posts
Seems all parties are not behaving like gentlemen. :( That said, the linked item is just green painters tape, not "Frog Tape" AND Ebay Frog tape looks pretty pricey from what I can see. Close to double the $5.40 presently stated as the going price.

Font Drinkware Rectangle Screenshot Circle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems all parties are not behaving like gentlemen. :( That said, the linked item is just green painters tape, not "Frog Tape" AND Ebay Frog tape looks pretty pricey from what I can see. Close to double the $5.40 presently stated as the going price.

View attachment 114242

It is green painters tape. Not frog tape. Totally different brands.

Also I get a really good price on frog tape because I buy lots of paint and tape products. $5.40 definitely isn't the going price but for a professional painter who has a good relationship with the paint store and does lots of business with them.

I was curious if Americans get a better deal on frog tape since it is made there.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Here in Canada I pay $5.40 Canadian which is about $4.20 American.

This is for the 1 inch green.

SW won't go lower here unless I buy 1000 rolls they will lower it to $5 Canadian. Don't really wanna carry that much frog tape since will probably take me few years to use and adhesion will probably get less and less sticky.
If you can get your hands on the new frog blue, they make pro packs for 1.5 and 2". I like it so much better than the green. But regardless if you can save a nickle or dime a roll, in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

From what I see at HD, you have a pretty great price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can get your hands on the new frog blue, they make pro packs for 1.5 and 2". I like it so much better than the green. But regardless if you can save a nickle or dime a roll, in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

From what I see at HD, you have a pretty great price.
Thanks SW just offered me the 9 pack in blue frog tape for $40 so about $4.40 a roll. Haven't tried it yet but will have to now after your recommendation.

Only thing that has stopped me from not trying it is that I really like the individual cases the green frog tape comes in.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,988 Posts
Thanks SW just offered me the 9 pack in blue frog tape for $40 so about $4.40 a roll. Haven't tried it yet but will have to now after your recommendation.

Only thing that has stopped me from not trying it is that I really like the individual cases the green frog tape comes in.
Just think, if you saved a few of the thousands of single cases that you buy, you could re-use them!

·
Registered
647 Posts
frog tape isnt necessary for most applications i find but it is nice stuff. the cheap skate in me feels like it would be a waste most times
Frog is quite useful if you need a very clean line somewhere, as it definitely does come out cleaner than blue or white tape with less bleed through. Of course I think green or white tape will also give plenty clean lines as well, but you need to be more careful how you press down/etc, whereas Frogtape seems to require that just a little bit less.

So for me with brush and roll application, usually on older houses with multiple paint jobs and generally some degree of bad stuff on the walls, etc, you can and need to do a lot more freehand cutting, and tape is just mainly a guide, say, around cabinets doing a ceiling. Then for baseboards to the floor, you generally want to not so much aim for a perfect line there, but aim to not get any paint on the floor, so I generally tape to around 1/16"-1/8" on the baseboard because realistically nobody will see that, but people will definitely see 1/8" to 1/16" of bleeding paint on the floor. Also with using tape vs not depending on how wonky the framing and drywall is in the house your job as a painter is to make the illusion of straight lines, and follow the waviness of the wall and compensate with a little less or more paint somewhere to create that illusion. The biggest problem I see in DIYed paint jobs is the use of tape in those scenarios, the house isn't straight so the tape can't be either.

But new construction with sprayed trim, 100% frog tape all the way, imo. But in brush and roll applications I think masking tape should mostly be a guide, so the advantages of frog tape are less clear there.

Of course I think the biggest thing is freshness of the tape, Frogtape is usually always fresh because of the container and lots of turnover because everyone is buying it, whereas a lot of times you can easily buy 3M White tape that is already not peeling off properly from a brand new roll.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use Frog tape on everything. Even if I'm doing a same color house. For me it isn't the straight lines that make me love the tape it's how easy it is to remove the tape. I can get straight lines with pretty much any tape. Other tapes take longer to remove and will cut off in small sections. Frog tape is so easy to remove.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts