Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Frog is quite useful if you need a very clean line somewhere, as it definitely does come out cleaner than blue or white tape with less bleed through. Of course I think green or white tape will also give plenty clean lines as well, but you need to be more careful how you press down/etc, whereas Frogtape seems to require that just a little bit less.

But new construction with sprayed trim, 100% frog tape all the way, imo. But in brush and roll applications I think masking tape should mostly be a guide, so the advantages of frog tape are less clear there.

Of course I think the biggest thing is freshness of the tape, Frogtape is usually always fresh because of the container and lots of turnover because everyone is buying it, whereas a lot of times you can easily buy 3M White tape that is already not peeling off properly from a brand new roll.
im mostly repaints so i just pick and choose when to use any tape, the top factor being color contrast between trim and wall color. if i have dark charcoal wall with bright while trim ill use frog everywhere i can, light neutral walls with off white trim ill cut everything. also anything high viz like around a fireplace mantel or the top of wainscoting ill use frog

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow. I'm paying about $8.50 Can. with a 20% discount. They must really like you. Here I thought I was professional.:unsure: Best be having a meeting soon with the tape boss.
Yeah thats way too much. Especially considering you can get it for $8.99 at home depot.

SW makes pennies on their frog tape selling them to professionals but they don't mind if you're using them to buy paint.

And it's not like I buy a lot of paint from SW. Mostly just ceiling paint and some wall paint. I still mostly use BM but the best they can do is about $6 a roll which is still significantly lower than what you're getting it for.

Talk to your salesman and tell him others are getting it for mid $5 and he will match it or come close.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,698 Posts
Has anyone tried BEAUTITONE Blue Tape or Scotch brand blue, both seem cheaper than Frog. It does seem to me "Frog" is a lot of money for the name. I confess, for most, general purpose masking, I just use green painter's mate. The truth is, I have not had an issue that has made me look further afield.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Flexible - Can be manipulated/stretched/rounded; Tears easily; Sharp taped corners (can be torn to create triangle shape corners); Ideal for hand-taping; Tennis Ball Green; Sharp painted lines; Strong adhesion; Clean release for days...

---

Slight drag on Tape Machine; Strong Adhesion may lift some delicate finishes; When adhesive is taped onto itself difficult/impossible to separate (waste) ...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Flexible. Tears easily. Can be manipulated/stretched. Sharp taped corners. Wet-Edge Technology. Ideal for hand-taping, slight drag Tape Machines. Tennis Ball Green. Can be used on sensitive surfaces. Clean release for multiple days. Sharp tape lines. What else?

Sanding edges improves comfort, may improve speed.
OK.
For sharp lines I just use a little caulk but on the other hand, I use very little masking tape. I never stretch it, nor would I want a tape that does stretch. I have also heard that beed under happens with Frog tape too, if surfaces are not perfect. About the only thing that gets taped in my world are baseboards and faux finish, design lines and the painters mate has worked OK for every thing I need a tape to do. Please don't be offended, I really did just want to know what the magic was.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Has anyone tried BEAUTITONE Blue Tape or Scotch brand blue, both seem cheaper than Frog. It does seem to me "Frog" is a lot of money for the name. I confess, for most, general purpose masking, I just use green painter's mate. The truth is, I have not had an issue that has made me look further afield.
I have tried every tape under the sun. Nothing compares to frog tape. As a professional if you're not using it I would think less of you. I would never hire someone that doesn't use frog tape.

For general taping of course pretty much anything works but for taping any wood work that needs a straight line there is nothing better than frog tape.

Some will say well this or this comes close but even so it won't come close.

I've had 3M reps tell me they've been trying to make something as good as frog tape for years and they can't do it. These are guys that rep 3M and they even admit it.

Forget about straight lines. Before frog tape was invented American tape was the best tape around but removal was a pain in the ass. Would take 5 times the amount of effort to remove tape. With frog tape you can pretty much start at one corner of room and be done in less than 30 seconds. Comes off like butter.

SW salesmen tell me they hate frog tape reps because you can't talk to them about prices. They set it and you buy. They know their worth.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have tried every tape under the sun. Nothing compares to frog tape. As a professional if you're not using it I would think less of you. I would never hire someone that doesn't use frog tape.

For general taping of course pretty much anything works but for taping any wood work that needs a straight line there is nothing better than frog tape.

Some will say well this or this comes close but even so it won't come close.

I've had 3M reps tell me they've been trying to make something as good as frog tape for years and they can't do it. These are guys that rep 3M and they even admit it.

Forget about straight lines. Before frog tape was invented American tape was the best tape around but removal was a pain in the ass. Would take 5 times the amount of effort to remove tape. With frog tape you can pretty much start at one corner of room and be done in less than 30 seconds. Comes off like butter.

SW salesmen tell me they hate frog tape reps because you can't talk to them about prices. They set it and you buy. They know their worth.
OK. You would never have a chance to hire me in any case! As for tape, I use so little it's not an issue for me. I only use it to prevent freckles on baseboards and little else. There really is no call for hostility on the topic.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,722 Posts
I don't use Frog Tape. Just thought you should know. I think it works fine in some situations and have nothing against it, but I'm mostly exterior and my preferences are:

1" orange 3m 2020 for handmasker
1.5" orange 3m 2020 for wood
1.5" green 3m 2060 for concrete, roofs, brick, & other hard to stick areas
1.88" yellow 3m 2097 for vinyl, plastics & metal

This is what I've used after thousands of exteriors now completed. Not hundreds, thousands. I have particular reasons I use each one, and I've tried everything I could possibly find for nearly every surface in the last 35 years. It's what I believe to be the best for my company. I don't doubt that frog tape works for you and I'm glad you found a tape you love. My question for you is, On what planet could you possibly think less of me because I do NOT use frog tape?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well I tell ya, I almost broke down in tears when I read that some anonymous poster on an Internet forum probably thinks less of me because I don’t use FROG tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't even use tape (usually - and when I do it generally doesn't have to be that "special") so talk about low person on the totem pole. I probably rate somewhere around Beavis and Butthead in the grand scheme of things. :oops: (From my earlier days on the forum I recall a lilpaintchic - I think it was - saying she'd fire anyone immediately if they couldn't use some manner of masking tool. Oy).

The reality is that in the world of professional painting, only hacks rely on tape!! So I think less of all painters who use tape! (But I'm totally kidding about that. If you successfully stay in the business, as Troy said, we all figure out what works best for us. And that is a wildly complicated equation - person things x specifics of jobs things x business strategy things, etc).

I love all real painters. Tapers. Non-tapers. Expensive Froggers. Better deal-found Froggers. Non-Froggers.💓;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I don't use Frog Tape. Just thought you should know. I think it works fine in some situations and have nothing against it, but I'm mostly exterior and my preferences are:

1" orange 3m 2020 for handmasker
1.5" orange 3m 2020 for wood
1.5" green 3m 2060 for concrete, roofs, brick, & other hard to stick areas
1.88" yellow 3m 2097 for vinyl, plastics & metal

This is what I've used after thousands of exteriors now completed. Not hundreds, thousands. I have particular reasons I use each one, and I've tried everything I could possibly find for nearly every surface in the last 35 years. It's what I believe to be the best for my company. I don't doubt that frog tape works for you and I'm glad you found a tape you love. My question for you is, On what planet could you possibly think less of me because I do NOT use frog tape?
Because it means you rather save money than use the best available tape.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK. You would never have a chance to hire me in any case! As for tape, I use so little it's not an issue for me. I only use it to prevent freckles on baseboards and little else. There really is no call for hostility on the topic.
Definitely not hostility. Really couldn't care less what you use unless you were working for me.

Just saying frog tape is the best tape available so why not use it? To save $10 a house?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
LOL. It's all I've got left. Love a little sparring though (within the bounds of reason).

I recently joined a board for GMC SUVs to ask some questions. I posted a thing or two that were slightly punchy, but seriously nothing out of bounds. Some mod hammered me - deleting stuff, posting an "upbraiding" kind of comment and things like that. Really? What's wrong with some minor friction from time to time - you know, within bounds.

You all do a nice job here of the balancing act. And I know that's not easy.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts