Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got contacted by some former long time customers of our (who have since become good friends) about an exterior painting issue they are going through.

Unbeknownst to me, they contracted to have the outside of their place done this past summer. It was to be done in the same color it was done the last time, and they had access to the label showing paint brand, type, sheen, and formula used then. Unfortunately, they chose to go with a company, although large and well known, is, IMO, easily the worst in our general area. They survive by advertising like hell and in doing work that will pass by anyone who just wants to get the painting of their place over and done with. I have lost track of the number of interior jobs they have done which I have been called in to fix or redo.

Anyway, the crew shows up this past summer, pressure washes, caulks and then proceeds to put a sample of the "match" on the house, a picture of which you can see below.
Wood Rectangle Grey Material property Pattern

Obviously the HOs said it was unacceptable so the foreman disappeared and showed back up a very short while later and the crew proceeds to do a little over one side of the house. The new color ends up being virtually the same as the off sample that was shown to the owners. They suspect there was never even any attempt to get the right color and the foreman simply went through the motions. I would agree with their conclusion. So, the HOs call a stop to the project so the right color can be obtained and in the meantime, the rains set in.

Fast forward to now, the company has agreed to redo the already painted sections as well as the rest of the house in the correct color (a very generous offer 🙄) but is also now pressuring the HOs to move ahead now, in spite of the weather generally being wet (if not outright rain, then heavy fog and dew levels) and cool (lows in the low 40s or upper 30s). In the meantime, as a favor to our friends, I have gone over and obtained a painted outlet cover located in the exterior entryway, where little to no fading has occurred, and taken it in to SW to get a much better color match. The reason I am doing this is that the foreman told the owners that he wouldn't be going back and forth to obtain a good match and it would be up to them to deal with it. I know, great customer service eh?

So, with the color match hopefully being resolved with my assistance, my question to you out there is should the owners wait (as I have advised them) to have their place done in July, when weather conditions for painting typically become ideal, or go ahead and let the company do it now? I checked with my contacts at our local SW and although I trust their opinions, I know they have a huge association with this company so they would be loath to cross them. AND they would likely not admit that their products should not be applied now, regardless of what the TDS says. The SW people are saying Resiliance (SP?) line is designed for applications in weather similar to what we are having now and there shouldn't be any issue with the company proceeding - as long as outright rain is not in the forecast. But I am skeptical. I don't trust ANY opinions that are coming from the company doing the work.

So, should I tell my friends that if they wish to proceed (so they can get it done and put this all behind them) or, as I have recommended, should they continue to hold off until conditions improve? I have no experience with these newer, "extreme condition" paints, so I can only advise my friends based on my old school experiences and the products I used back when. So, any feedback or opinions from any of you who are familiar with these lines of paints would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the book - thanks for reading all the way through and thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,804 Posts
What a nightmare Dan. Lol. Who the heck would suggest, or even WANT to paint outside in January? It's not just the paint you have to worry about, but any necessary caulking etc. drying, and moisture content for any bare woods..I'm not sure anything will dry with 100% humidity??

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a nightmare Dan. Lol. Who the heck would suggest, or even WANT to paint outside in January? It's not just the paint you have to worry about, but any necessary caulking etc. drying, and moisture content for any bare woods..I'm not sure anything will dry with 100% humidity??
I totally agree Kevyn.
We don't have the weather conditions here where we live that you likely experience, and we can have stretches of days this time of year that are relatively dry and with daytime temps in the fifties, but still, getting a place totally dry this time of year, especially after any further extensive cleaning, along with the chance for a sudden change in the weather, is enough for me to advise against them having any further work done now. They have waited this long so waiting until more predictable conditions are in place shouldn't be that big of an issue. I also told them that as far as what the painting company is pressuring them to do (finish it up ASAP), they can simply tell those bozos to go F themselves.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Thats a bad deal. I usually stop my outsides mid November and start them back up end of February. It always amazes me how many people call in late November early December and want their outside done before "Winter" sets in. Though I see people painting outsides when I would not due to weather conditions. I am probably too cautious but I do not want any failures do to weather. Today was near 60 here but tonight it freezes and tomorrow does not get above freezing yet I saw people painting outside today. Most the TDS say above 35 for 48 hrs that is the kicker where I live its nice during the day but cold at night

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, worst case scenario is that the HOs postpone the continuation of the work until July or maybe June. I just don’t want them to be so anxious to wrap this up they make a mistake that will cause issues.

Anyone used SW’s “extreme conditions“ paints and if so, thoughts? Any problems with it? Seems a bit gimmicky to me, but, as I said, I am old school about temps and moisture.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I stop exteriors in mid oct. and dont start them again till mid april as it is just too flakey around here. I use S/W resilience almost exclusively here as it dries quick, is good from 35 degrees and rising, although I don't work in those temps and is good in humid and near rain conditions. When I lived in southern AZ. and could basically paint year round I had people tell me they wanted to wait till it warmed up to paint and I told them that if we waited till then the wind will be blowing so hard and for so long that we would never paint it. In the summer people would want to wait till the monsoons were over and I would tell them this is not Bangladesh and it doesn't rain that much .Can't win.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,804 Posts
Yep, it's a big change living in the NE. Back in BC we could paint outside 8 months of the year. Here it's honestly about 4 months, which is why I gave it up for the most part. That being said, an old saying around here is "if you don't paint it in the rain, it ain't getting painted". 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,648 Posts
@RH, your recommendation is spot on. Your friends contracted the work to be done in the Summer, which, imo, is a big factor here. I've used the "extreme conditions" paints and they are not a magic bullet. They just allow for slightly more tolerance of moisture & humidity as it relates to temps. Being only 80 miles from you, I know first hand just how narrow the window of time is in which we have to paint on even the driest days this time of year, and even during the warmest days in January & February, there's still the inevitable likelihood of sealing in moisture. That's the entire reason I don't ever consider exterior painting this time of year.

The painting company they used is probably pushing to get it done now because they have no other work in the pipeline. Although I try my best to not bad-mouth other painters, their "color match" was laughable and their decision to initially proceed was inexcusable.

I'd remind your friends that, should they proceed now with the hopes of trying to get it over and done with, they will quite likely be going through this entire process again all too soon. Hope it all works out for them.

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@RH, your recommendation is spot on. Your friends contracted the work to be done in the Summer, which, imo, is a big factor here. I've used the "extreme conditions" paints and they are not a magic bullet. They just allow for slightly more tolerance of moisture & humidity as it relates to temps. Being only 80 miles from you, I know first hand just how narrow the window of time is in which we have to paint on even the driest days this time of year, and even during the warmest days in January & February, there's still the inevitable likelihood of sealing in moisture. That's the entire reason I don't ever consider exterior painting this time of year.

The painting company they used is probably pushing to get it done now because they have no other work in the pipeline. Although I try my best to not bad-mouth other painters, their "color match" was laughable and their decision to initially proceed was inexcusable.

I'd remind your friends that, should they proceed now with the hopes of trying to get it over and done with, they will quite likely be going through this entire process again all too soon. Hope it all works out for them.
Thanks Troy - I copied your response and sent it to them so they could see what someone in our area feels about the paints as well as trying to do any painting this time of year.
Dan

Reactions: stelzerpaintinginc.

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: using the painted exterior outlet cover in their outside entry, I was able to get a good match to their existing color from the staff at SW. It is just a hair darker (something the HOs said would be fine) but allowing for dirt and oxidation over the past 26 years, it is likely almost dead on to what they had originally - and what they wanted. I still can't understand what was going through the foreman's head when he got the original "match" made up and thought it would be even close to acceptable to the owners. And then to tell them that if they wanted a better match, THEY would have to take care of it because he wasn't going to be going back and forth to the paint store to obtain it. Fricken' ridiculous.
They also just texted me to let me know they are going to insist on holding off on having any of the remaining work done until late spring/early summer when conditions are more favorable.
Thanks to those of you who took the time to respond and address some of my concerns.
Dan

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Personally, I doubt there was ever a color match...given the self-sideness of the paint company and the f*+k of a "color match", I bet it was product they already had...

As was stated previously, your friends should have there work done as was originally planned (weather/season wise). Companies like this, are entirely profit-based not quality-based...hopefully your friends still have leverage in regards to payments. Have they paid in full? Sorry if I missed that part of your "book" 😉
Hope it works out for them.

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally, I doubt there was ever a color match...given the self-sideness of the paint company and the f*+k of a "color match", I bet it was product they already had...

As was stated previously, your friends should have there work done as was originally planned (weather/season wise). Companies like this, are entirely profit-based not quality-based...hopefully your friends still have leverage in regards to payments. Have they paid in full? Sorry if I missed that part of your "book" 😉
Hope it works out for them.
Think they put down a pretty hefty deposit - but not paid in full.
Although this company generally does crappy work, they do have a big presence in the overall area where we live so doubt they would pull anything really underhanded or illegal. But your idea about them already having the color on hand is not all that far fetched. That, or somebody messed up big time in obtaining the first match and rather than fix it, they tried to pass it off as a "corrected" one, without actually getting anything changed, hoping the HOs would just go along with the new look. Trouble is, my buddy (the HO) is an artist and semi-professional photographer, so he has a good eye for color and as such he wasn't the right one to try and fool in this regard.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Think they put down a pretty hefty deposit - but not paid in full.
Although this company generally does crappy work, they do have a big presence in the overall area where we live so doubt they would pull anything really underhanded or illegal. But your idea about them already having the color on hand is not all that far fetched. That, or somebody messed up big time in obtaining the first match and rather than fix it, they tried to pass it off as a "corrected" one, without actually getting anything changed, hoping the HOs would just go along with the new look. Trouble is, my buddy (the HO) is an artist and semi-professional photographer, so he has a good eye for color and as such he wasn't the right one to try and fool in this regard.
I could see how a company with a lot of moving parts could end up saying "this is your color match", but omg...your friend could have major glaucoma in one eye and blind in the other and still see that crap.....Matisse did work at the end blind, so not wishing anything on your friend.....now that I think about it..Matisse, at the end of his career would have seen that...albeit his underlings...and he was a house painter at a younger age. 😊

The hefty deposit speaks to profit-oriented, not entirely wrong at all, but with the other info you supplied about quality..just sayin'..
Again..hope it works out well.

·
54pontiac
38 Posts

This was my first thought. I can't imagine continuing with a company that started out so insultingly. I would have demanded my deposit back and called the painter friend who actually knows what he's doing and cares about the customer. Relentless advertising is a dead giveaway that they have a faulty product, in my book. Company doesn't start with "C" and end with "O" does it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts