Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Professional painter
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot of black stain on some patio stone contracted to seal. It's old stone, probably 20 years old.

I have tried the following products to soften the black. I don't know if it is tree sap, some type of mold or what but nothing works!!

Bleach, ammonia, mean green, borax, TSP, vinegar, wd40, baking soda, vegetable oil, goof off, goo gone, paint thinner, I think that's all I've tried. NOTHING!!

Hope someone can help me!
Brown Bedrock Road surface Building material Brick

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,029 Posts
Not my area of experstise but I have some of that stone at my house. I have just let it weather and am fine with the look (never been sealed), But if I did want to try and fix it I'd contact our local stone and paver supply outfit to see what they might recommend. Perhaps a product designed to etch concrete, such as muric acid, might do the trick. But I would test it in an out of the way place first.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,695 Posts
If it's organic, bleach. If not, sodium hydroxide or EBC. You said you used bleach, but you didn't say at what concentration.

Also, if you're not a professional painter or pressure washer, it'd be best to post in our diy forum.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,695 Posts
I am professional painter, yes. 6 years. I haven't ran across a stone I couldn't get the black stain removed. I'll try the sodium hydroxide. Thank you
What percentage bleach did you apply? Although sodium hydrox would work no matter what, that looks like it would come right off with 3%-5% bleach after a short dwell time.

Are there trees above?
Does all of it look like that?

·
Registered
Professional painter
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replied within your comment body. Look for the asterisks****

What percentage bleach did you apply? ****Concentrated bleach from Walmart //

Although sodium hydrox would would no matter what, that looks like it would come right off with 3%-5% bleach after a short dwell****dwell time was 15 minutes. Didn't touch it.

Are there trees above?****yes
Does all of it look like that?****no, mainly near areas of moisture (e.g. near water fall from roof or places where water puddles//

Thanks for the reply! :)

·
Banned
32 Posts
I'm geared and ready for that today. Not a wire brush but a rotating cleaning attachment for my drill. Hoping it'll work with the chemical to loosen from the pits. Thanks for suggesting. I'm on the same page lol
If that works okay, but is a pain in the ass, a wire wheel on a grinder will be easier. If you're buying a grinder, get corded, not cordless. I tried 3 different cordless ones on one job before I ended up just buying corded. Batteries all overheated.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,613 Posts
I am professional painter, yes. 6 years. I haven't ran across a stone I couldn't get the black stain removed. I'll try the sodium hydroxide. Thank you
That's why an introduction post helps. The mods can not readily tell if a poster is a pro, based on the first question a body asks. BTW: Great to see another woman on the boards!! :D
Welcome to PT!

·
Registered
Professional painter
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's why an introduction post helps. The mods can not readily tell if a poster is a pro, based on the first question a body asks. BTW: Great to see another woman on the boards!! :D
Welcome to PT!
I didn't receive an email packet explaining for me to do an introductory post. I just know to go where my brain leads me- to read posts and learn. Thanks for the nice words. I love to paint. Always have loved to paint since I was a kid. Figured I'd start a business-it's going great!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts