Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In most cases, poor paint adhesion is the result of dirt/soils left on the part during the painting process. Most of these soils are undetectable to the naked eye and can easily be missed until it's too late. Sandblasting and/or cleaners are good methods of cleaning but aren't always perfect. The best and simplest way to tell if your part is clean enough to paint is to look at it after it is rinsed. When the part is dirty the water will usually bead on it's sruface. Clean parts have a good sheeting affect on the water. Watch for water beads on the surface of your part, especially in corners, around edges, and at the bottom of the part. For those of you who use conversion coatings, there are a few good cleaner/coaters out there that will clean and phosphatize in one step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jason,
Sorry I wasn't very clear. When I say parts I mean it in a general way. The part is whatever the painter is painting or preparing to paint. It can be anything from a bike rim in your garage to a thousand truck bodies on a paint line in Detroit. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Metal.

Use denatured alcohol.
.... 'cept for aluminium which is turps and steel wool :thumbsup:

Isn't this a very basic apprenticeship lesson? I'm finding that some of the stuff asked on here lately is kindergaden stuff.

I'm not getting at the O/P coz he didn't ask anything apart from the fact that it looks to me as if we're heading down a road where this site is becoming a school for people setting up in painting and who just don't have a clue.

That's just my perspective around here lately. Maybe others see it differently.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
Hey Jason,
Sorry I wasn't very clear. When I say parts I mean it in a general way. The part is whatever the painter is painting or preparing to paint. It can be anything from a bike rim in your garage to a thousand truck bodies on a paint line in Detroit. Hope that helps.
That's a bit more specific. You'll find that most painters here are Residential house painters, not really dealing with metal, but only on occasion.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts

Isn't this a very basic apprenticeship lesson? I'm finding that some of the stuff asked on here lately is kindergaden stuff.

I'm not getting at the O/P coz he didn't ask anything apart from the fact that it looks to me as if we're heading down a road where this site is becoming a school for people setting up in painting and who just don't have a clue.

I hear ya...

It helps to have an introduction when posting for the first time, than to jump in and try to educate the crowd. ;) Get to know the folks around here first and posting will become a bit more defined and useful. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
See I knew he was a tool and die kind of guy looking to start up a convo about cleaning the metal before coating, he just didn't realize we are structure more than parts painters.
Your post reminds me of the one recently made at CT.

Not a pretty sight.
I am sure there are at least 2~3 other forums that are heavily guarded by overbearing Dictators (I'm sure a couple members here retreat to those places when the pie throwing contest "bugs" their sensibilities too much)
But those forums are probably near dead as far as posting or communications between members...

:(

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
Wise, you should stop posting for a while. I mean... you've been on this forum less 9 mo than myself and your at 1,123 posts... I'm jealous... slow down a bit ey? :jester::thumbsup:

Huh... metal parts? Hmmmm I don't remember the last time I painted a metal part... OH! yes I do! I repainted my utility trailer last year.... I really enjoyed that. If I remember correctly, I used DTM in a can. Still standing strong! Allthough... I don't recall cleaning the metal... :eek: Maybe it won't last as long as it could have had I cleaned the metal... but.. it was already painted... maybe that doesn't count. Oh, yeah.. this reminds me of a job I did for a corporate america business as a painter's helper. I cleaned raw metal frames and panels for mainframe computer cabinets. We used ascetone (sp??). I found every open sore I had in my hands.... ughh!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
So instead of whining about who posts here and how:

You are now going to whine about my internet usage of your forum:

Bad day webtoe?

EDIT: You obviously have never seen a MALCO before...
I'm not sure where you're coming from oh wise one? Did I say anything about your posts?

My post was aimed at the people who post here asking questions that are so basic that they beggar belief sometimes. Remember, those people are the ones that pick your brains and then lowball the real painters - You might just be educating the guy that you lose your next bid to.

It sounds to me like you're the one having a bad day :blink:

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
So instead of whining about who posts here and how:

You are now going to whine about my internet usage of your forum:

Bad day webtoe?

EDIT: You obviously have never seen a MALCO before...
webtoe.... LOL :laughing:

Either I didn't express my humor well enough or.... oh nvm... :)

What is a MALCO?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear ya...

It helps to have an introduction when posting for the first time, than to jump in and try to educate the crowd. ;) Get to know the folks around here first and posting will become a bit more defined and useful. :thumbsup:
I wasn't trying to educate the crowd. I don't know who knows what or how experienced everybody is around here. Just though I would try to contribute. So none of the people on here are in the industrial side of painting?

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
Very few of us are industrial.

By all means stick around and post an introduction of who you are, what you do and what kind of information you could provide for those interested. :)

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
It sounds to me like you're the one having a bad day :blink:
Sorry about that, I am having a "hiccup" on a trim job and stuck to the PC so I am working and posting.
Probably up there with drinking and posting on the list of bad things to do.

webtoe.... LOL :laughing:

Either I didn't express my humor well enough or.... oh nvm... :)

What is a MALCO?
A force to be reckoned with! Glad you enjoyed the webtoe thing, I am a firm believer after spending a month in Beaverton.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
... Glad you enjoyed the webtoe thing, I am a firm believer after spending a month in Beaverton.
Ahh... My stomping grounds! :thumbsup:

I'm truly webbed footed.... Born and raised in these parts... Tis good to see an outsider understanding the term "webbed feet" in respect to Oregon... ;)

Oh crap! I'm provoking your post count! ARGHH!!! :jester:

·
17,849 Posts

I hear ya Tooled, it seems like we are educating the fall out work force that have decided to try another route.

I wasn't trying to educate the crowd. I don't know who knows what or how experienced everybody is around here. Just though I would try to contribute. So none of the people on here are in the industrial side of painting?
There are a few industrial painters around here. Stick around and keep posting.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Do you mean OEM type painting and finishing like anodizing, phosphatizing, and powder coatings, or Industrial Maintenance coatings like high performance floors, bridges, tanks, oil and refinery etc?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts

I think we are getting a lot more of the "I lost my job, now I will be a painter" types, but we are not the only ones. Check this out!:eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts