Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Having a tough time bidding out a staircase paint job. The customer would like all railings, balisters, spindles, risers, and treads painted white. In your experience, how would you proceed? I have attached pictures below. Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hello,

Having a tough time bidding out a staircase paint job. The customer would like all railings, balisters, spindles, risers, and treads painted white. In your experience, how would you proceed? I have attached pictures below. Thanks for your help
I have painted many by myself. This looks like 3-4 days. Day one cover all floors. Plastic on nearby furniture. Sand, prep and prime.
Day two sand and first coats.
Day three sand and final coats.
Day four clean up.
We use oil enamel and ox hair brushes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply! Thats about the same thought process as I was having!

New here so I'm unsure if this question can be asked, but in your experience what would you would charge a customer labor wise for a job similar to this?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Thats about the same thought process as I was having!

New here so I'm unsure if this question can be asked, but in your experience what would you would charge a customer labor wise for a job similar to this?
I just finished one last week.
It was all stained and lacquered. 4 1/2 days was 1900 Labor and 250 primer paint and supplies. Now keep in mind that was very fair given that the customer allowed me to work during this Covid-19

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What a strange thing. I like it the way it is.

One wild card is the carpet runner. Hopefully they don't expect you to R&R? Assume that under the runner is all manner of filth and carpet-install damage to the treads. If the runner goes back down, no big deal if done by a professional. It a different runner, then you need to know it's at least as wide as the existing. If no runner, add a good chunk of extra change for having to deal with the issues. I'd guess a good extra day's labor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree w Joe. If the runner is completely removed, you will potentially have some labor on your hands filling staple holes and sanding the treads. Maybe have that extra labor listed as a change order for $*** (or $XX per hour) fixing it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Personally, I'd never paint the entire thing if it were mine, and would try to politely talk them out of it....but the customer wants what the customer wants....

Makes it a much easier job painting it all one color, that's for certain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts