Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

How would you handle this.

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  getrex 
#1 ·
Did a bedroom for a first-time client through a referral about three weeks back she called me late last week and told me there were some spots on the wall that didn't seem to cover and theres a hair in the wall, which just got my head scratching because I did do the room in two coats and it was a gray so we know how well that covers. She asked if I could take care of it asap cause she has window treatments coming. I said there's no way I could return till I come back to do the second phase of the painting project which is a living room, dining room and hall in two weeks. I'm doing seven days a week to stay on schedule cause I'm three mos. booked. She says fine she'll reschedule the window treatments and all was good. Get home today and she leaves a message saying that she is no longer continuing her painting project and my services are no longer needed. I know that's not true because she has been sampling colors for the last month and has about 13 two by three swatches all over her place and she's not even letting me come back to take care of the first bedroom. Any thoughts. Do I call her back or send refund. I'm perplexed. Never had this happen in 30 years of painting. Hate to think somebody is that dissatisfied that they won't let me return.

#2 ·
Well, you probably aren't going to like my answer, but if a customer says there are issues with any job I've done, I get back there ASAP to deal with it. Mainly because I don't want something like that hanging over my head, but also because the customer needs to be satisfied with the work.

I suspect she agreed to the postponement of the window treatments but then thought about it, or talked with someone, and then ended up becoming upset about it and made the call back to you.

Sorry to say, but I think you dropped the ball on this one.

#3 ·
Personally, I walk through each job or phase at completion to make sure all is well.
If for some reason I were to get that type of phone call, I'd make it a priority to go back in the next couole of days as a matter of principle. Old stuff gets done first. All customers are the most important 1... Trust is the hardest to earn and the easiest to lose. And those few spots were a huge priority for her apparently? Or, maybe she's a bit of a neurotic nut ball (in which you've likely evaded a nightmare going forward)
All that being said, it's your business and your schedule.
You could try calling her back to say "Hi, I realize you're cancelling the rest of the project, but I'd still like to fix whatever issues need tending to" and set up a time asap to do so. (Preferably by the end of the week).
If you don't have a down payment for the next phase, move on from it. If you do, then refund the down payment.
Just showing intent and integrity is sometimes enough to unruffle feathers...if it still doesn't pan out learn whatever you're supposed to learn and move on.
Good luck!
P.s.
Raise your prices. If you're booked 3 months out you're probably too cheap :)

#5 ·
It happens man. Being the owner and operator of a business can be hectic and when a situation like this arises it seems like your not able to get to it right away.

I've been there! Even though I understand your frustration with scheduling, we can all create 1-2 Hours in the morning or evening to make sure our clients requests are made. It seems it was more important for her to stay on her schedule rather than adjusting for yours.

#6 · (Edited)
The one that referred me to her thinks that what happened is that when I originally quoted the job 2 months ago, she wanted it done within two weeks which of coarse will never happen, so she agreed to wait for my next opening at that time for mid October. So we both believe that in the last few days she hired someone else who could do the second phase within the next few days and dont want me back for the touch up cause she gave the rest of job to someone else. Eitheir way I just wished she would be honest. Either way I'm refunding her the cost of the room. I would never feel good for being paid for a job someone was not happy with since she wont let me fix it.

#8 ·
Obviously you are anxious to do right by this customer, hence your wish to return her money. I am not sure I would feel like doing the same thing. You did the job, offered to come deal with it (although not exactly on her time frame) and she chose to go another direction. Yes, maybe you should have scuttled over there to attend to it so her window treatments could get done, but not being able to do so doesn't necessarily mean you should be giving up your pay. But regardless, do what you feel you need to do.

#7 ·
That's too bad. I'm sure it was a minor and fixable problem. But the dynamics of painting are such that painters become repulsed at the thought of returning to which they have battled. And homeowners are impulsively impatient. Thy two shall not meet.

You will live to fight another day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.