Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am being asked to paint the ceiling a 75%-25% mixture of the wall/trim color and thought no biggie I will dump a quart of the trim color in a bucket and then dump in 3 quarts of the wall color and I'll be good. Then the decorator asked to have a sample color of an 80%-20%mixture and I thats when my brain melted. Of course it is going to be so close that I know in my heart that this is not going to make a difference but in the spirit of liking a challange and wanting to give the customer what she wanted I tried.

My question is, if are still with me what do you use for such a situation. I ended up buying a graduated plastic measuring cup and getting close but.... 8 parts something 2 parts another is not that exact really.

·
4,698 Posts
So I am being asked to paint the ceiling a 75%-25% mixture of the wall/trim color and thought no biggie I will dump a quart of the trim color in a bucket and then dump in 3 quarts of the wall color and I'll be good. Then the decorator asked to have a sample color of an 80%-20%mixture and I thats when my brain melted. Of course it is going to be so close that I know in my heart that this is not going to make a difference but in the spirit of liking a challange and wanting to give the customer what she wanted I tried.

My question is, if are still with me what do you use for such a situation. I ended up buying a graduated plastic measuring cup and getting close but.... 8 parts something 2 parts another is not that exact really.
Same sheen you are mixing?

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's the problem with working with decorators. P'sIA. You're right, it's not going to make much of a difference, but humor her. You got the idea, graduated cylinder, 8 oz of one 2 oz of another and do a sample. If she likes it, I would see if the store can shoot that off the tinter. You'd need a pretty big cylinder or purchase 10 gallons.
How else could you get more exact with paint?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
That would end up being a serious pain in the ass come time for touch-ups unless the formulas were exact.

I just use those plastic measuring cups with the ml/oz markings, though I use those for mixing lacquers and stains ... can't say i've ever done that with paint.

depending on how much of it you need i'd just leave the mixing to the paint store so they can reproduce the formulas for you.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I had a decorator once gave me a formula for stain in an office bldg. that included "dixie cups", & "1/2 dixie cups" worth of certain colors in her custom formula.

We needed 15 or 20 gallons. I remember sitting in a corner, counting how many dixie cups make a quart. (I've since forgotten)

After we started, she thought is was a little dark, and wanted to know if we followed her formula exactly (using dixie cups).

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
This thread got me LMAO :lol: :lol: your not a pro if you've never experienced the %-%÷%+%x%-%, can you have it for me in 30 mins? :huh: :lol: those people have their own color wheel in their heads "special colors". Phucking hilarious. Having a 40'er ant chit if you've never dealt with this. I once told a 'desecrater' to go to the paint store and have them make a color, "I ant got time for it"

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I once told a 'desecrater' to go to the paint store and have them make a color, "I ant got time for it"
So you're the asshat that keeps sending these people to me :censored:

I'll do 25% increments, nothing else. Anything other than that is guesswork at best, and will almost never be duplicated. Ive even had some of them tell me what colors to add, and how much :blink: Like they have any idea the strengths of my colorants.

They need to justify their $***.xx/hr charge, so piddly farting around with +/- %'s seems to appease their clients,( like they're getting something special ).

Sometimes all it takes is a bit of ego stroking to get through those :thumbup:

·
Registered
481 Posts
LOL....if you guys could ever have the patience to work with the right decorator, you would'nt have time to posting here. Money is money. I'll invoice all day (at my best designer/decorator price) to mix paint. Next time you want to tell them to go to a paint store and have them do it, just send them to me! I'll take there money. Thanks in advance!

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
If it isn't on the color decks, I don't mess with it. Got stuck with 3 gallons of some gawd-awful colored flat paint one time and learned my lesson. If they want to do the reduction process, I send them to the store. Seems customers are much less likely to argue a color with the store personnel than the painter.....at least from what I've seen. And when they have to stand there and wait, they have a clearer idea of what's involved.

NC is spot on with his reply of the strength of colorants. I've read some of the can colorant labels on some reductions and there's alot more to it than just adding the lightest color. Seems the other colorants get tweaked also. Most of the designers I know have a sample of the color they want anyways.

·
Outhouse Painter
700 Posts
If it isn't on the color decks, I don't mess with it.
Yes...and all the other stuff Wolf said. I'll give them fifty eleven decks with every color their lil eyeballs can comprehend.

By the time you bring in the variances of lighting, contrast and all the other nuances of color perception...making a shade that is NOT in the deck vs. picking the closest match in the deck is not reliably distinguishable by a human.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A true experienced professional decorator will have all their colors chosen and specifications written for the painting contractor as well as placement. That's their job!! There are hack decorators just like their are hack painters. The hack decorators try to make themselves look knowledgeable and like they are earning their money by making the painters life miserable. The good ones are far and few in between. We do not do a lot with decorators, but the last time we worked with a professional they had all the specs overnighted to us with all the colors/swatches/finishes and placement-I had not one question. The standard is a quart to a gal.-anything other than that needs to chosen off the fan deck or your wasting my time and if so, that time needs to be billed accordingly. I haven't met many that will pay it. The ones that will, fine-I'll mess around all day with colors.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I agree. I won't mess around with mixing partials, too many variables.
However prior to 1990 it wasn't all that uncommon to field mix colors and stains. In fact you damn well better know how if you wanted to call yourself a J-man.

How many of you guys own a colorant rack?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree. I won't mess around with mixing partials, too many variables.
However prior to 1990 it wasn't all that uncommon to field mix colors and stains. In fact you damn well better know how if you wanted to call yourself a J-man.

How many of you guys own a colorant rack?
Back before there were fan decks there were colorant racks. Mine is always with me, but doesn't see as much duty as it used too. We used to make and alter colors & stains quite a bit back in the 60's & 70's. By the time I got involved in the mid seventies it was already less, but I learned from my 'ol man who was a real pro at mixing. It just became more convenient and less work to go to the fan deck.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
I had a decorator once gave me a formula for stain in an office bldg. that included "dixie cups", & "1/2 dixie cups" worth of certain colors in her custom formula.

We needed 15 or 20 gallons. I remember sitting in a corner, counting how many dixie cups make a quart. (I've since forgotten)

After we started, she thought is was a little dark, and wanted to know if we followed her formula exactly (using dixie cups).
This reminds me of a match we had done at the local SW store. The list of colorants and amounts ran across the whole top of the gallon can and then started down the side. The best part was that, in the middle of the list on the side was a note: "take out one cup (of paint)". That was to make enough rooom for all of the rest of the colorants that were necessary for the match. And people wonder why we gave up on SW.

Reactions: Bender
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.