Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have been using my airless for my cabinet jobs with FFLP tip and like the product. However I have been thinking of getting a HVLP sprayer to do them in. What can you tell/teach me about this decision? Do HVLP really give a better finish and is it worth me learning how to use one? I don't really want to deal with having to thin my paint every time I spray.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
1,961 Posts
Guys I have been using my airless for my cabinet jobs with FFLP tip and like the product. However I have been thinking of getting a HVLP sprayer to do them in. What can you tell/teach me about this decision? Do HVLP really give a better finish and is it worth me learning how to use one? I don't really want to deal with having to thin my paint every time I spray.
Ya, this has been a long going discussion. You may want to check the multiple threads already started and ongoing on this..It highly depends on which products your using..

·
Administrator
19,580 Posts
Personally, I would recommend sticking with your airless and experiment more with the fflp tips rather than kick out the bucks for the type of HVLP (and yes, I do own a HVLP) you’ll need to do the type of work you are interested in. But that’s just me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For almost all of my cabinet jobs I use an airless. I have and use both. If you're doing a large job with a ton of volume you don't want to have to sit and refill an HVLP cup over and over again.

·
Monarchski
42 Posts
You might look into an air assisted airless if you don't mind spending the money. Graco and Titan both make a pretty good one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are skilled with the airless and your finishes are coming out fine, you will probably find the HVLP slow as molasses. I have both and use both regularly, but I pick and choose what I am putting through each. I only have one airless, so it is strictly for water base finishes only. If I can use my airless, I do because it is faster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An airless sprayer handles the widest range of materials out of all the ones you are discussing. You will see them used for everything from "house paint" to oil based paint, lacquers and clear coatings. Often though, professionals will have a sprayer dedicated to solvent based products because there are challenges with cleaning in between products with different solvents. You can mitigate the amount of product you need to use with an airless by using shorter hoses, etc. In my opinion, an airless is the easiest to learn to use.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm trying to make an excuse to buy an HVLP. Can they be used for clear coating trim and doors with something like a waterbased poly?

I just finished a house with about 2300 linear feet of maple trim, and doors. It took forever to brush. I figure if I had an HVLP it would have paid for itself on that job.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I'm trying to make an excuse to buy an HVLP. Can they be used for clear coating trim and doors with something like a waterbased poly?

I just finished a house with about 2300 linear feet of maple trim, and doors. It took forever to brush. I figure if I had an HVLP it would have paid for itself on that job.
Yes you can also use them to apply stain both as a spray & wipe or thinned to spray &no wipe application.

I helped finish about 5000 linear feet of alder last week. We had 3 guys working. One spraying stain hvlp, one wet wiping and the other dry wiping working in batches then stacking in racks.

·
Registered
151 Posts

You could have sprayed General Finishes clear out of a 99dollar homeright super finish max sprayer.
I was actually using it on cabinet jobs in the beginning. I have the Graco pro contractor 9.5 now. If I had the extra cash I would get the one with a mini compressor and pressure pot.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Yes you can also use them to apply stain both as a spray & wipe or thinned to spray &no wipe application.

I helped finish about 5000 linear feet of alder last week. We had 3 guys working. One spraying stain hvlp, one wet wiping and the other dry wiping working in batches then stacking in racks.
$15 harbor freight cup gun for spraying stain.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
1,961 Posts
You could have sprayed General Finishes clear out of a 99dollar homeright super finish max sprayer.
I was actually using it on cabinet jobs in the beginning. I have the Graco pro contractor 9.5 now. If I had the extra cash I would get the one with a mini compressor and pressure pot.
I've also had my eye on the 9.5 procomp. Definitely looks like the cadillac. Trying to justify the 3k. I was using a compessor and 3M gravity fed cup gun which works well for priming. Never had much luck with waterbased or oil based finishes though. Found it dryed too fast leaving dryspray..
Definitely want another setup for spraying BIN though. Isn't the Procomp model 240V ? Which would mean non portable?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've also had my eye on the 9.5 procomp. Definitely looks like the cadillac. Trying to justify the 3k. I was using a compessor and 3M gravity fed cup gun which works well for priming. Never had much luck with waterbased or oil based finishes though. Found it dryed too fast leaving dryspray..
Definitely want another setup for spraying BIN though. Isn't the Procomp model 240V ? Which would mean non portable?
Call your paint rep. I just got prices, in Canadian dollars, for a few HVLPs and air assists. I think you'll be surprised.

Also, I don't see anything about it being 240v. Am I missing something?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts