Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a service magic account for over a year, applied last year when things were slow after the Holidays. I have been busy lately so I was turning the leads off, playing games with them because sometimes they don't notify you that your leads were being activated again and I would get a lead and get charged for it. I didn't mind being charged here and there figuring if things got slow it was insurance to get work.
Well today my leads went on again and I wasn't notified beforehand. Within 9 minutes I got 3 leads that cost me $129.00. I guess that could be great if I had no work and the leads led to actual jobs.
Any leads that I have followed up on never led to a job more than $200 and most of them were a waste of time, because most of the people were just tire kickers.
I feel great I finally cancelled my account, and I just want to warn other painters that Service Magic did not work out for me. I don't even want to look up how much it has cost me. I think I'll work on my website now.

George

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
I have had a service magic account for over a year, applied last year when things were slow after the Holidays. I have been busy lately so I was turning the leads off, playing games with them because sometimes they don't notify you that your leads were being activated again and I would get a lead and get charged for it. I didn't mind being charged here and there figuring if things got slow it was insurance to get work.
Well today my leads went on again and I wasn't notified beforehand. Within 9 minutes I got 3 leads that cost me $129.00. I guess that could be great if I had no work and the leads led to actual jobs.
Any leads that I have followed up on never led to a job more than $200 and most of them were a waste of time, because most of the people were just tire kickers.
I feel great I finally cancelled my account, and I just want to warn other painters that Service Magic did not work out for me. I don't even want to look up how much it has cost me. I think I'll work on my website now.

George
I think most here are aware of SM and their shenanigans but it's good to have the occasional heads up for newer members - thanks.

·
Painter
74 Posts
Just got a voicemail from one of their salesman the other day trying to get me to signup. I came on to PT and searched it out. Seems like LPQ is much better from all of the feedback here.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
They let you leave easily?!? I had multiple screaming sessions before I could get them to understand I wanted no part of them. ever. again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was transferred around after speaking with the woman at Service Magic, but no other sales agents picked up their lines, so I got off easy. I was in the paint store trying to order paint when my phone was going crazy with the calls and e-mails with leads I knew I couldn't handle. I was pissed that I lost $ 129 in 9 min and they would not take it off my account. I was more than ready to part with Service Magic.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
.... Seems like LPQ is much better from all of the feedback here.
It's called CraftJack now. And yes, it is VERY reasonable and you have all the controls as for what you want to get for leads. You can set a monthly budget if you want. Turn it on and off as you please, etc... And the cost per lead is $29 or less depending on the service your purchasing.

And! there are no more than 3 contractors sent to one lead. Good stuff. I just turned it back on a couple days ago. The only thing I don't like about it is the leads that have homes older than 1978... I get those a lot. Actually the last two consecutive leads where older than 78.... Ughh... Good thing they give credit for the work you cannot do (to some degree). That is a plus about it...

·
CraftJack
324 Posts

George
$43 per lead for painting leads going to 4 painters??!?!? Ouch!!!

No wonder they did $180,000,000 in revenue last year....

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
The dirtiest part is using your company name with their phone number and then selling the client who was searching for you to four other contractors. With all that capital they can SEO muscle you out of the way.

I am surprised there isn't more of an outrage to be honest.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
It's funny, I've never heard of these guys before this thread.

I hope it stays that way, thanks to you guys calling them out. Thanks.

·
TERRY365
521 Posts
Man that's a hard decision for me . I win about 2 out of 5 jobs leads . Sometimes more. Yeah they suck to deal with . Specially when they send you a exterior lead . You follow through with the client
And find out it's just a front door. I set spend targets low like maybe 300 a month
Between the two exact match and the other . I am working on getting out of their
System of doing things . I have read all the stuff on SM . I don't like the way they
Do business . I am making a web site too
And building a better image on yelp . It works if you get people to right reviews .

·
Registered
1 Posts
A civil lawsuit was filed October 19, 2011 in United States Federal Court against ServiceMagic, Inc., their subsidiary Market Hardware, and Market Hardware's CEO Brian Kraff for bad faith business practices, unfair and deceptive trade practices, unfair competition, cybersquatting, and other serious violations of law.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've been with SM for almost 2 years now, and I have actually done very well with them. I am looking forward to the day when I can fire them and generate leads the old fashioned way, but so far it hasn't been that bad. I agree that you end up with alot of tire kickers, but I have also landed some quality jobs, many of which lead to referrals. Like anything else in the business world, you have to go into it with both eyes open and you have to manage the service. I am careful to set my spend targets in such a way that I can handle the leads I get, and as long as I get in touch with the prospective clients quickly, I do pretty well for a closing rate. Still, it will be very nice to eliminate the middle man:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts