Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

4541 - 4560 of 4588 Posts

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
I hate it when other trades, and even the HO, use my on site garbage bag to put their trash in. WTH? Do you all think I’m your personal disposal outfit?

Had a job a few weeks ago where the electrician dumped a bunch of wire insulation and plastic from rolls of wiring into my bag. I pulled most of it out and put it in a pile in the middle of the floor.

Job I just finished is an empty house and the HO has been coming over in the evenings and doing a few things in preparation for the big move in day. This morning there were a bunch of smelly Chinese take out food containers in my bag. HEY! That’s what that gray bin in your garage is for! It’s called a garbage can!

And don’t get me going about dry wallers who dump piles of drywall dust, globs of dried mud, and chunks of drywall scraps into my bag.

Haul away your own s**t you bunch of lazy Aholes!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I hate it when other trades, and even the HO, use my on site garbage bag to put their trash in. WTH? Do you all think I’m your personal disposal outfit?

Had a job a few weeks ago where the electrician dumped a bunch of wire insulation and plastic from rolls of wiring into my bag. I pulled most of it out and put it in a pile in the middle of the floor.

Job I just finished is an empty house and the HO has been coming over in the evenings and doing a few things in preparation for the big move in day. This morning there were a bunch of smelly Chinese take out food containers in my bag. HEY! That’s what that gray bin in your garage is for! It’s called a garbage can!

And don’t get me going about dry wallers who dump piles of drywall dust, globs of dried mud, and chunks of drywall scraps into my bag.

Haul away your own s**t you bunch of lazy Aholes!

I am actually in the unfortunate position of having to put up with shtuff like that for the simple reason that I'm working for a GC who basically handles the whole job job site, including the trash. So the subs assume that the contractor's bag/can is the job site bag/can - which it is. And I guess they further assume that job site clean-up is generally on the GC, which in the end it is, by default.

However, that's no reason not to "Haul away your own s**t you bunch of lazy Aholes!"

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I use a garbage can to spray out of and put a sign on the can that says "not a garbage can" and I still find trash in it and not in the place I left it. I dump it where I found it and could care less who has to pick it up. I usually have to go rinse it out as well cause it has dirt in it,

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
Young first time home owners who spend their/your Saturday spam texting you with questions about what white they should use for their ceilings and trim. You've got all the wall colours days ago, and they've spent 3 days trying to figure out the white.

I knew this one was going to be problematic when I went and looked at the job and the actual customer had his parents there to talk to me about the job instead of being there himself.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Young first time home owners who spend their/your Saturday spam texting you with questions about what white they should use for their ceilings and trim. You've got all the wall colours days ago, and they've spent 3 days trying to figure out the white.

I knew this one was going to be problematic when I went and looked at the job and the actual customer had his parents there to talk to me about the job instead of being there himself.
i sympathize, i hope nothing is in the house yet and they arnt around when youre there

·
Registered
688 Posts

:icon_rolleyes:. I'd just say something like "you know, I can just go get the one that says "white" on the can"

·
Youngling
63 Posts
When your boss yells at you for an error or way you go about something, wants to talk forever about it, and then says we are behind on the job when the problem could have been remedied in a fraction of the time.

When a homeowner had you put on 7 different colors and chooses 2 colors that were not of the original 7.

When you get your side job check 2 months later than expected.

When you feel like the lousiest painter out there whilst at work but your end results are top of the line.

I’m feeling ranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
When the boss is done yelling at me I usually end up sleeping on the couch.

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
i sympathize, i hope nothing is in the house yet and they arnt around when youre there

As of last Sunday the place was completely empty when I met with his parents. That being said I've painted their entire house and it was pretty torturous. Both his mother and father are the worst decorina Karen types I've ever worked for. Hired me to paint their whole house then started whining by day 2 that they wanted their privacy back and bugged me about when I was going to be done.

We'll see.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
As of last Sunday the place was completely empty when I met with his parents. That being said I've painted their entire house and it was pretty torturous. Both his mother and father are the worst decorina Karen types I've ever worked for. Hired me to paint their whole house then started whining by day 2 that they wanted their privacy back and bugged me about when I was going to be done.

We'll see.
You'd think that would stop them from nitpicking so much.... Never seems to work that way.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I hate that no matter how I word "Please EMAIL ALL INFO TO ******.com Texts or website forms such as thumbtack will likely get lost...." I get people who start blowing up my phone with pictures and measurements, then get upset with me for telling them to resend the info to my email address that I clearly provided....

This is a form for wallpaper quotes, btw, not big paint jobs. I ask them for measurements, link to the wallpaper they want, multiple pics of the area, including a close up of the wall so I can see if its smooth or textured, what part of town they're in, etc. I almost NEVER have to go look at a job in person, and when I do, I charge a deposit. I have the form on my phone, so a quick copy and paste to anyone calling, texting, or using thumbtack. Then I go home and calculate quotes and send them out. My fellow paperhangars are AMAZED that I came up with this. Most of them spend an entire day each week to go look at and measure jobs. Its the 21st century. Its very often, not needed anymore.

·
Registered
712 Posts

We'll see.
i was on day 3 of painting a whole house and one of the spoiled brats came charging in one day whining "it smells like paint in here!!"

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
I hate when you have to explain to a young couple that every painted surface in their first home has latex over oil. Every wall, ceiling, stick of trim, door..... Everything. Then....

"You can fix that right Bill?"

No.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I hate when you have to explain to a young couple that every painted surface in their first home has latex over oil. Every wall, ceiling, stick of trim, door..... Everything. Then....

No.
I am dealing with this right now in an apartment that I own. Luckily it is a small apartment and only on the trim. Latex over high gloss oil. AND, I do blieve that it was done by a "professional" painter. If you get it right the paint will peel off in big sheets.

I was in my paint store a couple of weeks ago. While the manager was trying to mix some paint for me he was on the phone trying to explain possible reasons paint was failing on some clapboards. After he was done he vented. Told me that most of the "professional" painters have no idea of what they are doing.

I almost did a big job last year like the one you describe. It was done by a local painter. After dealing with my apartment I am kind of glad the home owners recently sold the house and did not ask me to do the work. I am trying to avoid the really annoying jobs.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts

No.

I'm such a lucky guy - tho partly by design. I have a GC between the clients and me. When I run into this sh** I can just hand it off to him. I say that it's partly by design because, relative my skills and experience, I accept much lower pay than I could get if I went independent contractor. But I do that as a trade-off for always having the buffer where the impossible things are for someone else to deal with. (Of course, even then I'm often the person who has to explain it - certainly to GC, but also sometimes to client).

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
I like cats - I really do. But I recently was doing a recently vacated rental ( pre-cleaning) where the tenant owned a Mainecoon. They are Long haired and HUGE! Balls of hair were everywhere. Walls had to be vacuumed and then completely washed down just remove the stuck on cat hair.

Reactions: finishesbykevyn

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,111 Posts
I like cats - I really do. But I recently was doing a recently vacated rental ( pre-cleaning) where the tenant owned a Mainecoon. They are Long haired and HUGE! Balls of hair were everywhere. Walls had to be vacuumed and then completely washed down just remove the stuck on cat hair.
Ive had multiple cabinet jobs where the dog had a habit of just laying up against the Island cabinets. So every morning I come in, there is dog hair all up the side. I had to put up a barracade of paint cans..

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
I hate when my own wife is insisting that I paint the front door of our house and I finally agree. Then she gives me the paint colour but doesn't bother to tell me she picked a colour from a different paint company than BM in spite of the fact that she knows that's the only paint I use. Name's the same from both companies but the colour sure isn't!

My own wife. Now an annoying customer. She might end up back on 'my list'.

4541 - 4560 of 4588 Posts