Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

4561 - 4580 of 4588 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
More like that rotten type smell from bacteria feeding on the acrylic

I've got a strong stomach and opened a 3/4 full can of paint for some touch up work and i'll avoid getting into the details other than it was without question the most foul stench i can recall smelling.

So that is due to bacteria?

oof... just thinking about it made me gag.

·
Registered
688 Posts
...I come across ridiculous sh** like this

"Looking for a professional painter for your next home project?"

(And don't any y'all tell me you roll like that or use that ladder).

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
...I come across ridiculous sh** like this

"Looking for a professional painter for your next home project?"

(And don't any y'all tell me you roll like that or use that ladder).

Have you seen the DIY ad on TV, not sure from who but I think it's HD, where the HO is pretending the roll the wall but there is nothing on his roller?

"Hey! This is waaaay easier than I thought it would be! And not nearly as messy!"

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
I'm pretty sure the painting contractor pictured has an Old World Craftsman niche that draws in very wealthy customers looking for painters using wooden ladders and such. He should be a model for everyone. I think the technique he's using to roll, is the "W" technique. Very Old School. Don't be hay in.

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
I'm pretty sure the painting contractor pictured has an Old World Craftsman niche that draws in very wealthy customers looking for painters using wooden ladders and such. He should be a model for everyone. I think the technique he's using to roll, is the "W" technique. Very Old School. Don't be hay in.
Love the fact that his upper arm and hand, those closest to the roller, have no paint on them, and neither does his pristine looking blue shirt (or pants or hat for that matter - but maybe he only applies bright whites). But his lower hand and arm, as well as his ladder, have been artfully splattered with paint for the intended effect of making appear to be the real deal.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Maybe the ladder. But that extension pole doesn't cut it. Nor does the roller for that matter.

I don't know of the ad that RH referred to, but there's been one for Behr running that just makes me roll my eyes. Something about a scuffed wall that's this HO's "Everest". Dumb as a box of rocks. I won't post a link - no need to help them with free press.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always hated it when I would tell a homeowner to clean up their bathroom so I can get in there and paint the following day. They NEVER clean around their toilets! My face has to be down where you do your business guy! I meant that you should wipe the floor and the toilet, not clean out the tub...

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
Maybe the ladder. But that extension pole doesn't cut it. Nor does the roller for that matter.

I don't know of the ad that RH referred to, but there's been one for Behr running that just makes me roll my eyes. Something about a scuffed wall that's this HO's "Everest". Dumb as a box of rocks. I won't post a link - no need to help them with free press.
Yeah, I've seen that one too. Makes it sound like painting one fricken' wall now qualifies him to go out and build a McMansion.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
We had no threat of rain. Start doing a deck....some dark clouds. Check weather app...no rain, finish deck. Within an hour of finishing a lot of rain. And the only place in the entire state that it is raining is in the city that I painted and the town to the SE. Get to see the damage in the morning.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
We had no threat of rain. Start doing a deck....some dark clouds. Check weather app...no rain, finish deck. Within an hour of finish a lot of rain. And the only place in the entire state that it is raining is in the city that I painted and the town to the SE. Get to see the damage in the morning.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

I feel that pain...

·
Registered
712 Posts
i hate when the neighbor with bellbottoms and a fanny pack has the get their 2 cents in on a color selection

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
i hate when the neighbor with bellbottoms and a fanny pack has the get their 2 cents in on a color selection
Lime green walls with burnt orange trim?

Reactions: Vylum

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dude, I was cutting in a bathroom at a rental. The owner stopped by to see how we were doing, and he took a ****ing **** in the bathroom. What is wrong with people?! I left and came back later. I was equally offended by the smell and his rudeness.

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
Dude, I was cutting in a bathroom at a rental. The owner stopped by to see how we were doing, and he took a ****ing **** in the bathroom. What is wrong with people?! I left and came back later. I was equally offended by the smell and his rudeness.
Geez! It must be good to be king. It really takes an uncanny level of humility to not want to just leave the bucket of paint in the bathroom and never come back after that behavior.

·
Registered
688 Posts
- Bugs! Why do bug seem to be attracted to wet paint! Stay out of my paint!

- when it's a really nice autumn late afternoon and you go out to the garage to make up some stain samples. And find this relaxing and crack a beer. And when it's time to shake up the next pint of stain you grab the beer and the stain, you walk outside looking around at the fall colors and completely absent-mindedly start shaking...but cross the beer hand with the stain hand.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I hate it when contractors cut corners...no primer under this textured ceiling
Oy. Bad news. I feel lucky about the time I had to go touch up a popcorn ceiling after water damage only to find that the ceiling was still raw mud - had never been primed or painted...in a small condo FULL of furniture and "hoarder" worthy levels of kitschy stuff everywhere. Yeah. I had to prime and paint the whole thing (while the wife called the husband 3 times to wonder why I wasn't done yet).

My latest annoyance is different (pic). But also annoying. Window replacement on an older place. Takes "the painter will fix it" to one of those "are you kidding me" levels. But the response is always "can't you just caulk that?"

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
How the hell can an owner let something like that slide?

·
Registered
688 Posts
How the hell can an owner let something like that slide?
Oh, RH, it's worse than that (IMO). The owner has no idea. (It's not even an easy area to see). It's the GC who is overwhelmed by a) far bigger jobs than replacing a couple of windows, and b) can't find competent help. Spends most of his time shaking his damn head at stuff like that and worse. I send the pics and he just says SMDH. Can you caulk it? I'll figure something out. Light carpentry is not outside of my abilities...

4561 - 4580 of 4588 Posts